Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What's the difference??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Default What's the difference??

Forgive the noobie-style question, but I'm totally new to crawling so I've been trying to discover the differences between two of the RTR's; the 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and the Deadbolt.

The Rubicon is $380 for which I get:
METAL FRAME CHASSIS
WB8 WILD BOAR™ DRIVESHAFTS
4-LINK REAR SUSPENSION
27T MOTOR
SPUR GEAR COVER
TRANSMISSION
(single) SLIPPER CLUTCH
WALKER EVANS RACING WHEELS
MAXXIS TREPADOR TIRES
ADJUSTABLE COILOVER SHOCKS
POISON SPYDER ROCK BRAWLER BUMPERS
REALISTIC SCALE DETAILS
2.4GHz AX-3 RADIO
3-CHANNEL 2.4GHz AR-3 RECEIVER
2.1kg weight
229mm height
68mm clearance

Differences:
  • 313mm wheelbase
  • 229mm width
  • 540mm length
  • POISON SPYDER CRUSHER FLARES
  • REAR BUMPER W/SWING OUT CARRIER
  • AE-2 ESC WITH DRAG BRAKE (I believe not waterproof)

The Deadbolt is $300 for which I get:
METAL FRAME C-CHANNEL CHASSIS
4-LINK REAR SUSPENSION
27T MOTOR
SPUR GEAR COVER
TRANSMISSION
WALKER EVANS RACING WHEELS
MAXXIS TREPADOR TIRES
ADJUSTABLE COILOVER SHOCKS
POISON SPYDER ROCK BRAWLER BUMPER
SCALE DETAILS
2.4GHz AX-3 RADIO
3-CHANNEL 2.4GHz AR-3RECEIVER
2.1kg weight
229mm height
68mm clearance

Differences:
  • 305mm wheelbase
  • 225mm width
  • 460mm length
  • WB8 HD WILDBOAR™ DRIVESHAFTS (Same name, but apparently updated with larger, captured cross pin and three-piece design)
  • DUAL SLIPPER CLUTCH
  • 5 BUCKET LIGHT BAR SET
  • PROTECTIVE RADIO BOX
  • METAL GEAR TACTIC SERVO, 151 oz-in
  • AE-5 ESC WITH DRAG BRAKE (waterproof)

The driveshafts are named the same but based on the description, photo and manual, appear to be different between the two models.

Is there a huge reason for a dual slipper being better than a single?

I'm not sure about the specification differences between the AE-5 and AE-2 ESC other than being waterproof. I believe that I came across something about the AE-5 also being 3S capable whereas the AE-2 is not, but I may be confused.

I presume that the servo is the same on both models.

Lastly, is there any indication that Axial will update the Rubicon model with the AE-5 ESC (important) and the newer driveshafts (not as important) in the immediate future?

So is there really $80 difference between the two vehicles? I prefer the Rubicon due to the longer wheelbase and styling, but feel that the ESC and driveshafts are the better choice technically.

Your input is greatly appreciated in advance.
crash-n-bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: What's the difference??

The ae-5 is 3s compatible and deadbolt has the new wildboar HD drive shafts which are 3 pieces where the Rubicon's are the old 2 piece wildboar shafts. I have the Deadbolt and a honcho which has the same features as the Rubicon. They are both great rigs, but for the money go with the Deadbolt. Just my opinion. If you like the jeep body better, buy it and upgrade the esc.
mncrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The dead bolt has 32 pitch gears and the wrangler has 48 pitch 32 pich are louder but stronger than the 48 pitch I would go with the dead bolt and just change the body if you don't like it
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

Ok, thanks mncrawler89 and 1santaever for your replies and Johnnysplits for the affirmation.

I'm agreeing with your logic. And in order to get the longer wheelbase, just extend the upper and lower links on the front and back by 4mm each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-n-bash View Post
Ok, thanks mncrawler89 and 1santaever for your replies and Johnnysplits for the affirmation.

I'm agreeing with your logic. And in order to get the longer wheelbase, just extend the upper and lower links on the front and back by 4mm each?

Front links are the same length on all models, they have to be for servos to clear the chassis. The difference is in the rear links. Get a set of upgraded rear links for whatever WB you want and you'll be sweet.
Cheers,
58513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Excellent and useful news, 58513 ! Thank you!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

First off, if it were my money I would not recommend the $380 rubicon. If rubicons are your thing and you like the longer wheel base I would pay the extra for the crc edition, which I have owned and thought was a great truck. The new esc isn't as high quality it's a cheap Chinese unit that has been rebranded, I have however not had any issues with it and have no complaints... The new driveshafts are nice I must admit, super strong and a nice addition. My experience on wheelbase is that I prefer the shorter 305 to the rubicon wheelbase. The rubicon with the spare tire and longer wheelbase out of the box will be a worse crawler, I would only get it if you're dead set on a rubicon body and are willing to put aesthetics before performance

I actually sold my crc edition for a g6 falken edition so if you have any questions on the two I'd be happy to help
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1santaever View Post
The dead bolt has 32 pitch gears and the wrangler has 48 pitch 32 pich are louder but stronger than the 48 pitch I would go with the dead bolt and just change the body if you don't like it
I have the deadbolt and I thought the same about the 32pitch gears. Thats not the case about being loud. They only are loud when you have metal on metal gears. These are very quiet
rc crawler builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crawler builder View Post
I have the deadbolt and I thought the same about the 32pitch gears. Thats not the case about being loud. They only are loud when you have metal on metal gears. These are very quiet
It could be mental but I swear I notice a little more noise from my 32p setup. This could also be in my head but I've had to get rocks out of my 32p about 5 times since I got it because it will start clicking. Which I don't believe I had to do even once with the 48 but hey the stronger gears are worth it regardless
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering the exact same thing. Now I don't have to start a thread.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

The servo that now comes in the Deadbolt is also proving to be much a better servo than what comes with the previous RTR's.

It's a no brainer, SCX10 Deadbolt RTR is the best bang for your buck RTR right now.

The Deabolt uses the G6 cage, so it's easy to swap to a Jeep Recon G6 body if wanted because you only need the lexan body shell (not the whole body / cage kit)
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #12

Thank you HDMM. Even more input to go with the Deadbolt.

SoCal Crawlr you raise an interesting point about the origins of the new ESC and how easily it can be configured (programming card vs. beep counting and colored lights).

Thanks for the continued input !!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you HDMM. Even more input to go with the Deadbolt.

SoCal Crawlr you raise an interesting point about the origins of the new ESC and how easily it can be configured (programming card vs. beep counting and colored lights).

Actually on the ESC there are pros and cons to both.

The older Axial ESC is essentially a Castle unit, which can be programmed via Castle Link. It allows you to update software and customize your settings very easy. It is not waterproof and to run 3s without issues you need a external BEC.

The new ESC is waterproof and is 3s rated. Also, you can set the dragbrake and select Lipo or Nimh use with jumper plugs right on the outside of the esc. That's as far as programming goes with it though, so you are kinda limited in that area.

My daughter runs the new Deadbolt and so far we haven't had any issues with the ESC, servo or anything else.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Yes, if I'm not mistaken it's a rebranded hobby wing. Drag brake works fine, as mentioned it's setup with pins. Not much you would be missing with castle link as there isn't too much tuning needed with a brushed motor. I have tested mine in water and it held up fine. Overall speaking in terms of value the deadbolt can't be beat. It simply offers newer technology for a lot less money. Like I said, I'd only go rubicon if you like the branding (in that case I'd get a g6 like I did) or personal preference
Old 08-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

I'm not anticipating going bananas playing with settings, so the basic battery type and dragbrake should be fine. But I also wanted to make sure that I was getting a capable and quality ESC...and that seems to be the case.

It certainly appears that the Deadbolt is the way to go...newer technology of the ESC and driveshafts and less money than the Jeep-branded models. Especially when it's relatively simple and cheap to change the styling. All-in-all a better value.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Deadbolt is the best bang for buck out of the box and on the trail. They work just as they should and like others have said they are easily changed to fit your wants or needs. Good luck.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote

What's the difference?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's The Difference? In2Trux Newbie General 3 04-09-2010 07:39 AM
Difference Between 2.2 and 1.9 SawyerRanger Newbie General 1 03-23-2009 05:53 AM
difference in ni-cd and ni-mh flybynighter Newbie General 17 03-27-2008 11:39 PM
What's the difference???? bluonyx Newbie General 8 11-21-2006 10:12 PM
What's the difference between... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 31 10-18-2006 10:52 PM