Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hot Hot Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hot Hot Motor

My specs: Hobbywing Quicrun 1060, 35turn integy lathe motor, 87/16 with underdrive rear, Nano-Technology Hunger50 3S 5000mah 50C battery. The truck probably weighs 8lbs.

OK I have looked over all kinds of threads about motors and gearing and followed a few of them but i am still having a problem. Every time I go to drive my truck the motor gets so hot that I can't touch it for more than a quick feel. It takes about 20 minutes of drive time in 85 degree weather. My driving style is technical rock crawling(slow) with a few power punches for fun and trail style driving to get from rock pile to rock pile. But I like going slow.

I don't understand how some folks are maintaining there motor cool enough to touch. I have heard so many great things about this motor, I don't want to fry it.

Any direct advice would be super helpful.
bigdogs21ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hot Hot Motor

Bump the spur up to a 90T.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Just take off the motor pinion to check if the drive train is smooth or binding at somewhere first
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I roll 87/14, 3s, 4.25" tires, 8-9 lbs
my motor gets fairly warm with sustained operation
enough so... that it would become uncomfortable holding my touch
for any sustained period.
Tho' I wouldn't describe mine as being hot.

I haven't read my motor's temp for awhile...
but when it was new... thought it was around 160* at the end of a run...
and on a fairly hot 90+ socal day.
But I run a fairly mild 55T

Because of your higher rpm motor...
it might be helpful to gear lower... as previously stated ^

Integy products... can be a hit.. or miss deal IMO.
Maybe the motor is having fault - dirty !?
check the motor's brushes - clean > motor/bearings < re-lube

Be sure the spur and pinion gear mesh is not too tight.
Check to be sure there is no suspect bind in the remainder of the drive line

ie: axle/hub bearings could have corrosion if moisture were introduced.
or possibly some other material is wrapped around the spindles.

^ what your cleaning/maintenance schedule is like... I would not know
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Honestly I think the heat issue possibly has part to do with your ESC not your gearing. Inefficient ESC's will make the motor run hot. Also, if the motor is on it's last leg it will run hot before it dies. And as also stated above, gear mesh too tight or something else binding. The Integy motors generally have a good rep, although I have never tried them myself. Personally I think your pretty good on your gearing.

My wife's JK runs a Sidewinder 3, Trinity Speedgems 35t and 87 / 18 gearing. No OD's no UD's, nothing fancy. We run a Turnigy 2200 mah 3s pack, 60-120c. We can run for 2-1/2 - 3 hours on average and do not have any heat issues. The motor is warm when done, not hot.

I run a Novak brushless crawler system in my G6 with a 18.5t motor and 20 / 87 gearing. I also run the Turnigy 3s 2200 mah packs and get about a 3 hr run time. My rig i a little heavier and I run OD gears in the front. My motor is barely warm when done.

And we do a LOT of crawling here in Colorado.

Last edited by HDMM; 08-20-2014 at 07:15 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Make sure there is ample space between the spur and pinion gear. Far too often overlooked problem. There should be play between the gears...hold the pinion with your finger and be able to wiggle the spur gear a tiny bit.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Inefficient ESC's will make the motor run hot
How's that?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
How's that?
Low end speed controls typically have inferior components and high resistance, which makes them inefficient. This in turn does not send consistent, proper voltage and or current to the motor. That makes the motor inefficient and can make it run hot.

Look at it like running a high compression engine on low octane fuel = doesn't run very well.

The ESC may not be his issue, his motor may be taking a dump (does it smell burnt?) , he may have something in the driveline causing excessive drag, his rig may weigh a ton...who knows.

Last edited by HDMM; 08-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Low end speed controls typically have inferior components and high resistance, which makes them inefficient. This in turn does not send consistent, proper voltage and or current to the motor. That makes the motor inefficient and can make it run hot.

Look at it like running a high compression engine on low octane fuel = doesn't run very well.

The ESC may not be his issue, his motor may be taking a dump (does it smell burnt?) , he may have something in the driveline causing excessive drag, his rig may weigh a ton...who knows.
Well, I have a $34 esc in my tug boat that drives two brushed motors off a 2s lipo that will pull me and my wife in a rowboat. The hull is sealed, neither motors nor esc are watercooled, and it's pretty hot here in FL. A few of the guys I go wheeling with have cheap esc's and they have no issues. I think the downside to cheap esc's is adjustability and voltage limitations.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

It can be hit or miss. I ran a hobby wing esc in my e-maxx with 1/8th scale motor on 4s and 6s with no issues. I even have a couple of cheap Tamiya brushed esc's I've run with no issues.

Buy on the downside I've had some issues over the years with some other odd ball esc's. I tried to be cheap and run a Traxxas xl5 in my RC10 gold pan, the 27t stock class motor was getting so hot at the track you could smell it and I had it geared very conservative. I took that esc out and put in a Novak GTX and the thing runs perfect, I didnt have to change anything else.

I started racing RC's in 1985 ( yes I just carbon dated myself....lol) and I've seen a little bit of everything, but nothing ceases to amaze me and I still am learning new things as the technology progresses.

Sent from a galaxy far far away........
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Btw....i am familiar with how hot it is in Fl...lol

I just moved from there (Dayton Beach area) back in June to Colorado Springs. Can't say as I miss the heat yet.....guess we'll see when winter comes....lol

Sent from a galaxy far far away........

Last edited by HDMM; 08-20-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Dude, you're in Colorado...your balls are gonna freeze off by December!! When I was still living in NY, I visited a chick that lived in Denver. It was two weeks before Christmas...never, ever felt cold like that!! I love that I can go outside on Christmas Day in shorts and t-shirt!! But on Hobbywing esc's, they are very good quality. They sure don't miss a beat running in boats on 6s!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

bigdogs21ford - How old is the motor? Have you serviced it?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Johnnyplits, I don't know how old it is. Just got it from a user on here. Looked pretty darn clean though, and no scratches. It happened on a 55turn motor a few months ago with a ae-2 esc on 3s. I hope its just the mesh. I'll try loosening it. I have been using the paper trick to get the spacing but maybe my paper was too thin. I will gear down to 14t pinion since I don't have a 90 spur. Thank you all for you help. I will update when I make the changes.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

All you need is the smallest amount of play. You can use the paper between the gears...it works. As long as when you move the spur back and forth, there is some minor play between the gears. Have you taken a close up look at the comm? the brushes?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I have not ever opened a motor up before. I will have to search around for some videos on how to do it. Right now that is above my head. I have just been dealing with throw away motors(axial). And i have had a emaxx 3906 since 2001 it has 2 titan 21t 14v motors and I have never serviced or cleaned them and they are still running strong. I over heated them many many times too, don't know how they still work.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You don't have to open the motor to see the comm or how much the brushes have worn down. Two titan motors still good from '01? How often do you run them?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Oh nice i will look into it then. The emaxx- i would say between 2001-2004 I would estimate about 250 nimh packs ran threw it(required two battery at a time so 500 packs to be exact). 15 minute run times each set. Then from 2010-present probably 50 packs. I did burn out an esc way back when because I was rock crawling with it and it got to hot. no air flow, so i rigged a computer case fan on the roof of the hummer body to blow down on the new esc heatsink. Good ole times. I love these new axial crawlers though. I like the scale look now. i'm over monster truck rc's.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Shit that's a lot of time on those motors!!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Honestly I think the heat issue possibly has part to do with your ESC not your gearing. Inefficient ESC's will make the motor run hot. Also, if the motor is on it's last leg it will run hot before it dies. And as also stated above, gear mesh too tight or something else binding. The Integy motors generally have a good rep, although I have never tried them myself. Personally I think your pretty good on your gearing.

My wife's JK runs a Sidewinder 3, Trinity Speedgems 35t and 87 / 18 gearing. No OD's no UD's, nothing fancy. We run a Turnigy 2200 mah 3s pack, 60-120c. We can run for 2-1/2 - 3 hours on average and do not have any heat issues. The motor is warm when done, not hot.

I run a Novak brushless crawler system in my G6 with a 18.5t motor and 20 / 87 gearing. I also run the Turnigy 3s 2200 mah packs and get about a 3 hr run time. My rig i a little heavier and I run OD gears in the front. My motor is barely warm when done.

And we do a LOT of crawling here in Colorado.

I am running the same esc in my 9lb Jk 4 door with 87/20 on 3s but with a Tekin 35t and it doesn't get more than 30 deg celcius. It ain't the esc. Must be the motor or some binding somewhere.
Berman is offline   Reply With Quote

Hot Hot Motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Links are hot mess!! Sethmetal Axial Wraith 53 04-12-2013 12:27 PM
How hot is too hot for the motor? Mr. Ed Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 06-13-2010 11:09 PM
motor temp - how hot is too hot? wicked4x4 Newbie General 16 03-18-2010 09:49 AM
Totally hot, hot, hot Melons inside! hvydty1 Chit Chat 6 06-03-2009 08:48 PM