Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

Default First mods

Hey guys, i have a scx10 jeep wrangler limited rubicon, it's ,y first scaler. I have had it for a couple of months and think its time for some upgrades. What would you guys recommend as my first couple of upgrades. Also what wheels and tyres would you rate best as a all rounder.
revkev91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First mods

Only real upgrade I'd recommend is aluminum steering link kit. On a lighter kit such as a deadbolt I haven't found it necessary but with the rubicon it's a must. I'm assuming you have the rtr here.... Tires in itself will be one of your best upgrades, only buy tires if you're willing to fork out the extra cash for nice foams... Pit bull rock beasts are hands down the most proven and award winning, you can't go wrong with them.. If you want to switch it up proline tsl xl and the new pitbull growlers look very good as well
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Very 1st upgrade = Aluminum Steering Links

4-link the front (parts come with it)

Move battery to the front (parts come with it)

Then atleast lower aluminum links at some point as the plastic ones will start to bend and tweak when you get into some situations

As far as tires, I also recommend the Pitbull Rock Beasts

I like the Pro-Line Super Swamper TSL's alot, but the foams that come with them aren't so great so you would have to change them out for some CI ones.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
RCC Addict

For the price, you CAN NOT go wrong with the Axial Ripsaw R35 tires....Harder foams but those tires can be purchased for next to nothing as no one thinks they are worthy (tall enough). BUT, I run them on my G6 and absolutely enjoy the way they perform. If you want a taller tire, they Treppador tires have great traction all around. In my opinion, the Pitbull tires are simply too big (tall and wide) for any thing other than trail driving.

Tires are up to you, whatever you think looks good just make sure you get a softer compound than those stock rock hard RTR tires. (SSX2, X3, G8, R35 compounds are proven) I use Axial Beadlock wheels with 3 screws on each side....never lose a bead, never twist a tire and I rock crawl with my G6. (Team brood 25T motor, 2 and 3s, overdrive front gears, Ripsaw tires with 3oz in each front wheel.)
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I'd go in this order:

4-link the front (unless you plan to go chassis mounted servo steering)
Move battery to front (better weight bias)
Aluminum drag link and tie rod (stiffen up steering)
Knuckles, C-hubs and universals (more steering throw)
Wheels/Tires/CI Foams (up to you really)
Steering Servo (more steering torque, especially if you go up in tire size)
EX BEC (might be necessary if your new servo causes any brown-out issues with your ESC/Receiver.)
Aluminum suspension links

The list goes on for days, but that's just some ideas to get you started.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

aluminum suspension links (rear lower at least) should be MUCH higher on the list...they fold too easy.

How do you plan to drive this vehicle anyway? What terrain, trails, rock crawling, high speed? What are your plans with it?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
For the price, you CAN NOT go wrong with the Axial Ripsaw R35 tires....Harder foams but those tires can be purchased for next to nothing as no one thinks they are worthy (tall enough). BUT, I run them on my G6 and absolutely enjoy the way they perform. If you want a taller tire, they Treppador tires have great traction all around. In my opinion, the Pitbull tires are simply too big (tall and wide) for any thing other than trail driving.

Tires are up to you, whatever you think looks good just make sure you get a softer compound than those stock rock hard RTR tires. (SSX2, X3, G8, R35 compounds are proven) I use Axial Beadlock wheels with 3 screws on each side....never lose a bead, never twist a tire and I rock crawl with my G6. (Team brood 25T motor, 2 and 3s, overdrive front gears, Ripsaw tires with 3oz in each front wheel.)

Where do you get harder foams for the stock tires? I have some trep's i want to try but the stock foams are way too soft.
predu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
aluminum suspension links (rear lower at least) should be MUCH higher on the list...they fold too easy.

How do you plan to drive this vehicle anyway? What terrain, trails, rock crawling, high speed? What are your plans with it?
I've had RTR lower links on my 1.9 Bronco for 3 years and have never folded them. I'm careful not to bind it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predu View Post
Where do you get harder foams for the stock tires? I have some trep's i want to try but the stock foams are way too soft.
Crawler Innovations
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #9

They have 5 different kinds. Which one fits the narrow stock tires? While we are at it which are the ones that are supposed to be good for my 1.9 rockbeasts? thanks
predu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
They have 5 different kinds. Which one fits the narrow stock tires? While we are at it which are the ones that are supposed to be good for my 1.9 rockbeasts? thanks
I run the Lil' Nova 2-stage 450's in my Rock Beasts, love them. Not sure for the Trepadors, I only run the 2-stage as the closed cell are too stiff for my liking.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

thanks for the advise guys.
mainly running on trails so dirt, sand, mud and abit of rock crawling.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm going to have to get some CI foams, because my stock foams, in the Trepadors, are sagging heavily. I've had some sidewall rollovers, as a result. I should add that I have weighted beadlocks, with 4 oz per wheel.
I took my truck on a long, rocky, mountain hike yesterday, and had to be careful about the angles it got into. I'm not taking it on another serious hike, until I replace the foams. Not worth the risk of losing it down a steep slope.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I'd go in this order:

4-link the front (unless you plan to go chassis mounted servo steering)
Move battery to front (better weight bias)
Aluminum drag link and tie rod (stiffen up steering)
Knuckles, C-hubs and universals (more steering throw)
Wheels/Tires/CI Foams (up to you really)
Steering Servo (more steering torque, especially if you go up in tire size)
EX BEC (might be necessary if your new servo causes any brown-out issues with your ESC/Receiver.)
Aluminum suspension links

The list goes on for days, but that's just some ideas to get you started.
just wondering whats better leave the servo and go 4 link in the front or move the servo to chassis mount
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

The chassis mounted servo set ups are more of an appearance upgrade in the scale realm as opposed to performance. Plus most aren't real cut and dry you need to be prepared for some major tinkering and getting new drag link set up. It would not be my first mod. My first mods were vanquish links getting the rig weighted 60/40 is the best mod just move battery in front of the tranny horizontal across the chassis using the extra servo mounts and the battery plate any questions feel free to ask I have currently a lot of mods on mine and they were all worth it barely ever break tons of speed and torque thanks to the tekin rx8 and a pro 4
simpscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpscx10 View Post
The chassis mounted servo set ups are more of an appearance upgrade in the scale realm as opposed to performance. Plus most aren't real cut and dry you need to be prepared for some major tinkering and getting new drag link set up. It would not be my first mod. My first mods were vanquish links getting the rig weighted 60/40 is the best mod just move battery in front of the tranny horizontal across the chassis using the extra servo mounts and the battery plate any questions feel free to ask I have currently a lot of mods on mine and they were all worth it barely ever break tons of speed and torque thanks to the tekin rx8 and a pro 4
The RC4WD CMS kit is pretty cut and dry and works really well.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

First mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
must do mods? TOYUTAH Tamiya XC/CC01 9 04-13-2012 06:47 AM
mods axial11 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 08-06-2010 07:30 AM
x-mods Bronco Chit Chat 10 01-03-2007 04:26 PM
new mods motox Tamiya Clod Buster 3 12-31-2006 11:53 AM