Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Best scx10 truck??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Best scx10 truck??

I'm looking to get into the crawler aspec of the hobby. I would like to know whick scx10 model is the best either RTR or kit which one will be it's bang for the buck?

I want something that will perform very good and have a great scale effect.

I was thinking the wrangler rubicon kit or is the RTR good??
ReMiXeDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #2

Default Re: Best scx10 truck??

In my opinion the kit form is always the way to go for a couple reasons. First you usually get better parts in the kit and with a kit you build it yourself so you get familiar with it as well. Some RTR's do have the better parts on them but you are going to pay a premium that way. You can take a kit and add a little to it and have a better truck than a RTR, but either way you go you will be happy. SCX10's are very nice trucks in any form.
T_0_N_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have done both, built a kit and bought an RTR. Kit is definately the way to go. Yes it does cost a little bit more once you factor in electronics, servo, and a motor but its worth it in the long run. the stock Axial electronics are decent though but i personally prefered setting up my own electronic package. you also get metal lower links in the kit version which is a big plus. the RTR axial lower plastic links are crap and after a few runs they will get really sloppy and start bending. again this is all personal experience and preference and will differ from others that post on here, but if i were you i'd definately go with a kit and build it.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Right now, the Deadbolt SCX10 RTR is the same price as, or in some cases cheaper than, a kit (except the Dingo) and is the best bang for the buck going. Can usually get a Deadbolt RTR online with a coupon and free shipping for around $280 - $285

You get a high torque metal gear servo (which is proving to be pretty decent), you get a water proof ESC that is 3s capable, you get the new heavy duty driveshafts, the new slipper clutch cetup and 32p gears. (none of which come in the kits)

The only thing you really need to do to the RTR as far as spending extra money on it right off the bat is the aluminum steering links and atleast the 98mm lower aluminum links. ( which doesn't cost very much, about $35 )

I prefer building my RC's as well, but you will be into it for alot more if you go kit (unless you use really really cheap electronics, which I don't do) If you go with a kit, you will need a motor, ESC, servo and radio system.

If you are new to crawling , IMO, the SCX10 Deadbolt RTR is the best bang for your buck.

Last edited by HDMM; 08-22-2014 at 07:17 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree with HDMM on the Deadbolt! Before the Deadbolt, I would have gone kit, but the truck RTR is a pretty good deal!
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Right now, the Deadbolt SCX10 RTR is the same price as, or in some cases cheaper than, a kit (except the Dingo) and is the best bang for the buck going. Can usually get a Deadbolt RTR online with a coupon and free shipping for around $280 - $285

You get a high torque metal gear servo (which is proving to be pretty decent), you get a water proof ESC that is 3s capable, you get the new heavy duty driveshafts, the new slipper clutch cetup and 32p gears. (none of which come in the kits)

The only thing you really need to do to the RTR as far as spending extra money on it right off the bat is the aluminum steering links and atleast the 98mm lower aluminum links. ( which doesn't cost very much, about $35 )

I prefer building my RC's as well, but you will be into it for alot more if you go kit (unless you use really really cheap electronics, which I don't do) If you go with a kit, you will need a motor, ESC, servo and radio system.

If you are new to crawling , IMO, the SCX10 Deadbolt RTR is the best bang for your buck.

you know, i'm going to have to agree on this. i forget about the deadbolt and its upgrades from previous RTR rigs. and you cant beat that price at all. if you can swing the extra, i'd also look into a lipo battery and charger. great run times and consistent power.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Over the years, I have had several Axial rigs from kit to RTRs. I bought a Deadbolt just for a fun trail rig and the "Stock Class" in the 801RC comps. It has become my favorite. The electronics have been great. I put at least a dozen 5000 mah batteries before the stock servo got glitchy. So for fun I put another stock servo in it. It has been going strong.

The only thing I did right away was move the electronics and the aluminum links. (Basically copied the Dudley the Deadbolt)
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply people. I am narrowing my decision down to either the jeep rubicon wrangler edition or the RTR deadbolt. I will think it over this weekend and Monday I'll let you guys know what I go with and I'll prob then do a small review on it then.
ReMiXeDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

It would be a tough choice between the dead bolt and the currie edition scx10 jeep , the jeep has the killer looking bfg Krawler 1.9 tires and also a working light bar on the roof with spot lights on the corners of the rear of the hood. But has no rear tail lights. I love the 1.9 bfg tires . Good luck with your quest.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Deadbolt is as mentioned, the best value. I thought long and hard before deciding on a kit or RTR.. I think its a well known fact by now that the kits will have a better value if you factor in all of the aluminum stuff. But I asked myself, in a weeks time from ordering would I want a box full of parts showing up to my house or a complete truck? When that UPS guy came over and I had a full truck that I could play with and take outside I knew I made the right decision. For me, just as building a kit will get you familiarized with the truck, so does taking it apart (then upgrading, or replacing) and putting it back together. All I've done to my truck is waterproof and move electronics, and take all the bearings out for grease. Just from that alone I have a pretty solid understanding of the entire vehicle! Also been running fully stock links for a long time, and the lighter weight of the deadbolt/g6 actually does fine with them. Only knock on the deadbolt is that if scale is your thing, you should keep in mind it's an unlicensed body... so not quiet as scale as a Jeep for example. I paid $50 extra for the g6 falken and no regrets but it loses some value for sure.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I really don't even look at "cost" difference anymore......let me elaborate
by the time you add better shocks and metal links to the rtr.........or add electronics to the kit, it all ends up around the same give or take a few thousand.......lol. It really comes down to if you want to play immediately or build....

Now if you go the rtr route you WILL want to upgrade at least the steering and lower links
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

And I will now reply to my own post...I just noticed on the g6 kit that it comes with the dogbone axles wtf.......my wraith kit came with the universal axle upgrades, so even the kit you need to upgrade the front axles IMO I hate the dogbones

Last edited by Wade; 08-24-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #13

I saw a Honcho this weekend on the shelf at my LHS and it had the plastic undercarriage links as well as the steering linkage. Assuming it's the same as what comes on the Deadbolt, it would need to be changed almost immediately.

The one I saw bent incredibly easily. If I recall, the steering linkage upgrade is pretty cheap ($20-ish) and super simple. I think the undercarriage was a bit more ($50-ish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
crash-n-bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Spend about 30 and get enough materials to make links for 2 trucks.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

I just received a scx10 deadbolt rtr as a surprise gift and my brother helped me beef it up a lot. Took it out yesterday on a trail run and it did better then some other crawlers out there. Granted from what I'm told I still need some upgrades, I also wore out the spur gear halfway through so I'm looking at a metal spur gear to avoid that issue again.
PS-I am a newbie at this so my experience is based on one trail run!
Hauss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

Welcome Hauss66 !! What a wonderful surprise indeed! Make sure you report back with your experiences and thoughts as you put the Deadbolt through its paces.
crash-n-bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I got a wrangler rtr and have been pleased with it. Was able to have fun right out of the box. I did add the metal links but everything else I have done is for my own "spicing" it up- like adding lights and a winch. When I get another one I will do a kit for the fun of building it but I am very glad I got the rtr so I could go play right away
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #18

I have a Deadbolt and its a very nice rtr for the money
gmpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Opening up the box and driving it is always nice, I have done it many times. But I always upgrade the electronics and links and most parts soon after I get it. My last few few have been kits and I enjoy building them and choosing my electronics. So I guess in the long run for me a kit is cheaper.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #20

I would have gone kit, but the truck RTR is a pretty good deal!

Last edited by mckameyzhiy; 08-27-2014 at 01:24 AM.
mckameyzhiy is offline   Reply With Quote

Best scx10 truck?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 custom us army truck and custom scx10 d90 landrover marc323 Videos! 2 08-09-2014 03:51 AM
SCX10 Recovery Truck Tonysmini Axial SCX-10 17 03-19-2013 06:42 AM
SCX10 TR Truck house_Fly Chit Chat 2 12-09-2009 12:59 PM