Notices

Thread: Griz's Scale Adventure Trail Rigs/G6 Rides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #41
PapaGriz Yo

Default re: "Dutch" Griz's Scale Adventure Trail Rig/G6 Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
These rims are so Sweet but once again out of stock..

Great build there GRIZZLY
Out of stock. Wow, I'm really glad I found them and jumped on them when I did.

Thanks for the reply bud, I've got some good pics of the wheels coming up soon.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Great thread. Wish I could go to the scale adventure this weekend but work late on Saturday. Can't wait for some more pictures.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #43
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
Great thread. Wish I could go to the scale adventure this weekend but work late on Saturday. Can't wait for some more pictures.
Thanks for the reply javi. Yeah, too bad you can't make it. See if you can plan for the one on Oct 25th. It's a night adventure.

Don't worry, I got lots of pics.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Any idea where that event is going to take place on the 25th?
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Killer side rails.

And I know they're not expensive or blingy but duuuuuuuuude makes some pretty dope 8 holes in custom offsets and beadlock patterns. Might be worth checking out.

DCW Made to Order Delrin Wheels

Last edited by djjiz; 09-11-2014 at 11:32 PM.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #46
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
Any idea where that event is going to take place on the 25th?
Crawl Space Scale Adventure Series 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Killer side rails.

And I know they're not expensive or blingy but duuuuuuuuude makes some pretty dope 8 holes in custom offsets and beadlock patterns. Might be worth checking out.

DCW Made to Order Delrin Wheels
Thanks man. The rock rails worked good this weekend.
Thanks for the link to Duuuuude's wheels. They are really cool, especially the Kidney Beans. But I am done buying wheels for a bit.

Got Dutch running for the Scale Adventure last Sunday and I have to say I was extremely happy. Lil Griz and I had a great time. My friend and his son popped their Scale Adventure cherries on this one and absolutely loved it. The course was very challenging without being stupid hard. Obstacles like "The Gauntlet" were so difficult but totally scale, I had flashbacks of being in my 1:1 Bronc in Montrose or South Dakota.
The Crawlspace guys really know how to build a great course.

The wrap got a lot of attention and looks great!

The Holmes Hobbies 13.5T Trailmaster is butter smooth in this rig. Low speed control was excellent and it had good top speed.

The paint on the sliders held up well. There are a few nicks but nothing like I am used to with regular spray paint.

The swaybar worked perfectly.

Had to disconnect the winch. There is a glitch where the winch will just start spooling every once in a while.

Next stop for Dutch is Crawlapalooza! I have a few things I want to do but mechanically everything is working great. Nothing broke or fell off in the 3 hours of driving. After the course I noticed the front wheel nuts and a tie rod end screw were loose, but that's it.

Here are a couple screen shots from a bit of video I got on my iPod.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

The Jk looks killer Chris! I kept seeing pics on FB so figured I better come take a look at the build thread.

Have you tried out the off spec HH motor yet? I'm thinking about getting a couple of them for my rigs.

Keep up the good work. it's nice to see you finding time for the hobby again and getting your son into it.

This adventure series/G6 stuff is a hoot isn't it...too much fun!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #48
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
The Jk looks killer Chris! I kept seeing pics on FB so figured I better come take a look at the build thread.

Have you tried out the off spec HH motor yet? I'm thinking about getting a couple of them for my rigs.

Keep up the good work. it's nice to see you finding time for the hobby again and getting your son into it.

This adventure series/G6 stuff is a hoot isn't it...too much fun!
Thanks for checking it out Brian.

No, I have not tried the offspec motor yet. I was running the real Trailmaster. I hope to get the offspec wired up this week.

You are correct, the Adventure/G6 stuff is awesome. I love getting 3 hours of continuous time on the course and the challenge of the obstacles is perfect for my son to learn how to drive. I heard him telling his friend how the important thing is just to finish the course and no HOGging. He is planning to become an expert driver but he's got a bit of practice before that becomes a reality. He's doing great though for only his 2nd time out. He cleared some gates really nicely.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 09-16-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Rig turned out great Griz. I think you've inspired me to make some changes to my JK.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Very nice looking rig!!!

Sent from my modded TI-83 plus.
2-shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 AM   #51
RCC Addict

what is the make and model of the soldier action figure next to Dutch?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #52
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
what is the make and model of the soldier action figure next to Dutch?

I found him on Amazon.
NECA Series 2 Aliens Sergeant Windrix 7" Action Figure
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E57...+Action+Figure

I had Dutch out yesterday and he's still working great. I will be getting him ready for RMSN.
Since I won the 1.9 Class Sprint race in Oklahoma I thought I'd enter Dutch in the 1.9 Ultra 4 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #53
PapaGriz Yo

Default "Dutch" Griz's Scale Adventure Trail Rig/G6 Ride 10 Years of RCC Tribute Build

Axialfest 2015 baby! Time to get prepped.

First up is getting Cody's rig ready.

At the last scale adventure Cody's JK blew out the idler gear in the trans. The Holmes Hobbies 10 turn Cobalt Puller on 3S was just too much for the stock gears. I got that fixed by installing an Axial steel gear set that I had laying around.

I stole the Robotronics long servo arm to put on Guido for scale Nats. Since I can't find another one I will put one of the plastic Hitec arms on. I have had really good luck with these on the lighter 1.9 rigs so I think it will be fine.. I have many spares that I can carry just in case.
I also put on an RPP Hobby hydro ram just to up the cool factor a bit.

For Axialfest I bought him some 5000mAh 3S LiPo's. I didn't like all that weight in the back so I looked up the battery relocation blog at www.axialracing.com and got that done.

Next I need to fix the broken fairing on the Gearhead roof rack. I wish RPP would sell a replacement; I think I will just make one out of styrene and paint it black.

Lots more updates coming on our 4-rig raft and Dutch so stay tuned. You can also follow along at Papa Griz Adventures on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/papagrizadv

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 06-30-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #54
PapaGriz Yo

Default "Dutch" Griz's Scale Adventure Trail Rig/G6 Ride 10 Years of RCC Tribute Build

Spent all weekend working on rigs and finally finished up the raft. We took it for a test float and it rides nicely. I think it will work great! There are eyelets on the deck to bungee down all 4 rigs individually.
Wish we had time to decorate it.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #55
PapaGriz Yo

Got a nice package in from RPP Hobby on Friday!

The RTR links on Cody's JK put up a good fight but they gave up the ghost in Okerhoma. I made some replacements from the parts bin to keep him running.

You can see that the front were pretty beat. The Holmes Hobbies 10T Cobalt Puller combined with a big trigger finger surely had something to do with the shortened lifespan. Haha

I decided to give the RC4WD Rock Krawler links a try. They went together really nicely.

The rod ends fit perfectly in place of the Axial links. Unlike Traxxas rod ends that have a narrower ball. One tip, install the links at the skid plate first. If you install the axle end first you will have a hard time getting the right angle on the second one to get it to fit in the skid.
No binding, lots more movement than you need.

The links look great! After some more thought, and looking at the links on Dutch, I decided that the lettering on the lower links would last longer at the axle end so I switched them around.
The link kit is supposed to be for the rear but the front lowers and the rear uppers are the same length so no problem there.

I was left with two links then. That gave a spare for the rear lowers; but what about the rear uppers and the front lowers?
I found out that if you replace one of the rod ends with an Axial rod end it ends up the right length. This is it bolted to a stock front lower link.

I've been using RC4WD parts for a long time and I've had my fair share of problems. However, lately I've had good experiences. I really like the King shocks and these links fit perfectly so I am pretty impressed with their latest products.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-06-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #56
PapaGriz Yo

I tried running the 4.75" tall tires but with the AXR-10 full width axle I just didn't like the look. The tires looked too small.
I tried the cut-n-shut PitBull Rock Beasts that I made for Guido but they were just too tall and wide to fit in the front fenders.
So I went to the cut-n-shut Rok Lox I made years ago. I had to raise the body posts up one hole and they still rub a little, but they fit well and really finish off the look. I love the aggressive look now!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

very nice truck!
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #58
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScGRaceR View Post
very nice truck!

Thanks ScGRaceR!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #59
Moderator Rule Breaker

Dutch is making me want to put my jeep back together. I even picked up a set of iroks after seeing them on Dutch. I keep swaying between the flatbed and jeep.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #60
PapaGriz Yo

Every good G6 Adventure rig needs some sand ladders right? At least one rig in your group should have them anyway. The Gearhead Delrin ladders from RPP Hobby seemed like a great choice so I figured I'd try them.

If you don't have a power driver for the 2mm screws, by the time you are done you will wish you did.
The last time I tried to use ladders, traction was the biggest setback I had with them. These screws should solve that.

Now I needed a place to carry them. They are a bit too long to fit in the Gearhead roof rack but the length was perfect for the width of the cage when sitting behind the rack.
An old set of short body mounts, a couple screws, and a couple 1/4" cable clamps from the parts bin created perfect quick release mounts.

Ready to go!

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 07-08-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Tags
adventure, axial, crawl, crawl space, crawler, dutch, holmes, pit bull, pitbull, rcc, rccrawler, recon g6, rpp, rubicon, scale, scaler, scx, ssd, the crawl space, wrangler

Griz's Scale Adventure Trail Rigs/G6 Rides - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scale trail rigs 6-8-10 spyderwebbcustoms Scale Videos! 2 06-09-2010 06:22 AM
scale trail rides and locations. LockedinLow Missouri 1 01-03-2010 01:32 PM
My rides and rigs yoda@4x4 Florida 3 12-08-2009 12:57 PM
Scale Trail Rides RockMonster Virginia 1 06-11-2008 11:31 AM