Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: want to do a build but have a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Default want to do a build but have a few questions.

So i don't want to buy an scx10 rtr since i will be modding it and i don't like any of the bodies that come with it. The only brushed motor i have is a titan 12t with xl5 esc. I hear mixed things about running this motor what do you guys think? also i have some water proof servos from a slash would these be strong enough for crawling? Im new to the crawler world so any input is appreciated.
kpla51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: want to do a build but have a few questions.

Less T's more speed, less torque. May not be the best motor to put in there.
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That motor and ESC combo will surely get you going and will provide you the waterproof benefit but since it has not "drag brake", its not desired by those who actually use them on the rocks and obstacles. It will work for you for the time being, but you'll want to change it out later down the road as your skill progresses.

The motor is a throw away motor and not meant to last long - marketing ploy of sorts from Traxxas to make more cash by making you keep replacing the motor when it burns up....I suppose. As such, it will not give you much torque so you'll have to run a lower gear to keep the heat down and the torque usable. That is a 550 motor, larger than stock (540) so you'll have a harder time with gear ratio options.

The servo is 125in/oz @ 6v (operating BEC voltage of the XL-5 ESC) which is about the same as the stock Axial AE-3 servo. It will work and give you, again, "waterproof" benefits but its a plastic gear servo with no servo saver...You're going to break teeth on it. On the up side, that servo should be enough to run the SCX10 without any issues ON THE TRAIL and around the yard, you go for obstacles and rocks, you're going to wish you had more torque to turn the wheels when they are stuck in cracks or working with the weight of the truck laying on the wheels. Again, it will work but you're going to want to upgrade soon enough.

IF and when you start adding weight to the front wheels, you will exceed the capabilities of that servo. but stock setup, it will be fine....for now.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingeric View Post
Less T's more speed, less torque. May not be the best motor to put in there.

X2 ^ However You cant beat the RTR deadbolt scx10. For 299.99. Upgrade as you go.

As far as servos....In opinion NO not strong enough....BUT are you running 1.9's or 2.2's? They may work for a while or be perfect. Just depends on your terrain and driving. Again my opinion, If you have a few you might sell or trade em, but that fact you have them already helps the budget.
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The 550 can dia is the same as a 540 can, only difference is can length. I ran a titan 12t motor on a xl5, it was OK, plenty of wheel speed cool temps on 8nimh cells 14\87 gears. I still run the 2075 traxxas servo it leaves some to be desired in power, but still turns the truck on 4.3" Tsl's just cannot sit still and crank on the steering.
If you have it run it.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

I picked up an scx10g6 jeep kit off eBay new for 274.00 shipped. I want to run the servo and esc from my slash since it's water proof. I also plan on selling off the body but don't know how much to sell it for. Also what turn motor would run good on the xl5 esc I plan on running a 2s lipo or a 7cell nimh.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The body you can sell for close to retail price with the sticker sheet....The xl5 esc is not a good crawling or trailing esc..it has no drag brake...the servo will work but be aware of wheel and tire size..i wouldnt personally go more than 1.9 in size....Motors are subjective to your needs...a 27t will work just fine with a 16t motor pinion and an 87 tooth spur on a 2s battery...im not sure the xl5 esc can run a 3s battery or not so im not suggesting it along with a 35t motor untill you find out...Again, the xl5 is not a good choice of esc...find a used axial Ae2 rtr esc if you want something better or the new axial deadbolt esc that can handle a 3s...you can use a 3s battery with a BEC upgrade on the Ae2 esc.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The new deadbolt esc is waterproof so that may be the esc you want...good luck finding one used.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I run a xl5 and a 2075 in my trail truck and it does great...been running it for like 5-6 years that way. It's waterproof, not complicated to deal with and they're always around. if you're only trail running. It doesn't matter about the drag brake. You're not climbing big stuff. You really don't have a use for the drag brake. You might on a hill but who stops in the middle of the hill anyway...lol and the servo will be just fine on the trails.And if ya wanna use that 12T gear as low as you can go. 87/14 works good but it could be better.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #10

We'll if anyone wants a new g6 wrangler body pm me I just need enough to purchase a clear honcho body.

want to do a build but have a few questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New XR-10 Build plus Questions lucky7487 Axial XR10 12 03-27-2012 01:50 AM
Build questions?? asian195 Axial XR10 10 10-23-2011 10:45 AM
My new build + questions Lorduss Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 08-30-2007 03:35 PM
new build/first build lots of questions the kid Tamiya Clod Buster 4 01-31-2007 03:05 AM
Questions about first build Madman Newbie General 15 08-21-2006 09:12 PM