Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Newbie

I sold my AX10 a couple years back after a short rc crawling phase. Had my daughter and was forced to sell an arsenal of my toys. Well my daughter is now 16 months and i'm ready to get her into RC crawling.

I enjoyed my AX10 in the past but it seems im leaning more towards the scaler scene nowadays. The SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has caught my attention. SCX10 seems to be far superior to the RC4WD TF2 from what ive been reading around these forums. I'd like to buy the RTR kit. I'm not much into assembling a kit with a 16 month old daughter who loves to grab everything she can, let alone do I not have the time to assemble a kit from scratch between my 50-60 hour a week job and her running around. Plus I like the idea of not having to go buy a controller, ESC, and receiver. If I DO choose to upgrade those in the future, I will. As for the SCX10 Jeep RTR, do they make sell it in the red version of the JK? Or it is just the silver one? Is the KIT the one that comes with the red option that comes with no electronics?

Im wondering if this version comes in the RTR kit.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX10 Newbie

I believe that the kit version has a removable top and the rtr don't come with removable top.

both come with clear bodes that you are able to paint... this is just my 2cents i believe honestly.

you can always go to axial website and see all the specs. also look on youtube for unboxing vid / reviews..
ReMiXeDg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Actually the grey was the rtr body . But now there a re more options. But the rtr comes with plastic links and plastic shocks . But those are things that you can upgrade as you go along. Believe me I have a 4 month old and all my hobbies are pretty much on hold . So since I'm home more on my off days I just work on my rig dumping more money in it and tweaking it out with the new body conversion.
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #4

I plan on getting the RTR kit and throwing upgraded links and steering rods on it. Im also really digging the Proline Cherokee body. So I will eventually scrap the stock JK body and really take my time on the XJ body and make it as nice as I can. I plan on keeping all the stock electronics and controller that are supplied in the kit until they do take a crap on me. I really plan on focusing on the chassis and appearance for right now.

Any suggestions for nice scale bumpers? Nice, cheap, metal beadlocks? From what I understand, the stock wheels are plastic and glued to the tire, right? Not what I was expecting seeing as how my old AX10 came with bead locks stock.

Appreciate all the input guys.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Axial's line up here

all RTR's come painted as seen at their link or on the box.
the kit versions come unpainted.

If you want red...

purchase a new body and paint it as you like.
then sell your unused RTR body to recoup some of your cost.

I prefer the RTR's that come with the Axial branded, Castle electronics.
Tho' I would recommend additionally purchasing the Castle Link...
so that the ESC can be adjusted via your PC

In addition to the above...
I would recommend purchasing the Castle BEC
This would allow you to utilize a 3s LiPo battery.
And again... the Castle link will allow voltage adjustment to the BEC.

I also started with an RTR
and 1 1/2 years later... 100's of battery cycles thru it...
and the Castle electronics are still working fine !

However... the servo that comes with the RTR is basically junk...
and will fail after some user time and abuse.
As it has plastic bushings (X2) on the output shaft.
and those will fail fairly quick.
The bushings can be replaced with bearings.
But IMO... it's not worth the investment, nor time.

I upgraded my servo to the Solar D772
and it only costs around $20.00
However... a CC BEC is recommended (7.4v)
^ best money ever spent.

Quite possibly the best servo produce at that cost.
Competitive in performance and durability with high end servos
costing nearly 3 times as much.

The Tactic electronics that come with the Deadbolt RTR
are not a terrible product...
And in fact come with a servo that has dual ball bearings on the OP shaft.
But they are not mfgr'd by Castle Creations...
So they cannot be adjusted using the Castle link.
^ just saying.

An RTR gets you up and running day one...
upgrades and/or modifications can be done as ya go
or when something breaks and needs replacement.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 09-13-2014 at 12:47 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #6

The 3S is for higher RPM's/Speed right? I wont be too into the higher stuff. If/when the ESC does fail, I will go with the Novak rooster Crawler like my old AX10 had. Very nice ESC and damn near bullet proof. However ARE they possible of holding a LiPo battery? WHEN the servo takes a crap, because I know from experience that stock servos from axial really are junk, I will find a nice, metal geared, water proofed one.
Anyone have a link for the metal control arms and steering links? I believe this will be my very first upgrade.
The SCX10's come with 1.9's right? Do people usually throw 2.2's under these? If so, what mods to the suspension/drivetrain is in order to do so?

Last edited by evan1395; 09-13-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
The 3S is for higher RPM's/Speed right?
The 3S will increase wheel speed slightly...
but it comes in the form of torque and low end grunt.
Mine is geared as such, that it only goes maybe 4 mph.
But the 3S makes it pull harder off the start.

also... using a 3s can increase the performance/efficiency
and improve battery run time a little... if geared accordingly.

In using a higher wind motor... (55T 4 me)
the 3s power delivery is smooth and linear at any rpm.
...higher wound motors will add to efficiency and reduce power consumption
while increasing torque necessary for crawling at scale speeds.
...low wind motors tend to demand more power and are often less linear with the throttle/trigger control.
But if wheel spinning top end speed is a need...
lower winds will give a thrill.

tho' IMO excessive wheel speed does not replicate a crawler theme.

No matter what yer theme...
volt up... gear down !
^ always brings mo' smiles to the face's

Quote:
I wont be too into the higher stuff. If/when the ESC does fail, I will go with the Novak rooster Crawler like my old AX10 had. Very nice ESC and damn near bullet proof. However ARE they possible of holding a LiPo battery? WHEN the servo takes a crap, because I know from experience that stock servos from axial really are junk, I will find a nice, metal geared, water proofed one.
I've never used the Novak R. Crawler ESC...
so I'll just leave these links for comparison...
...Axial RTR AE2 ESC
...Novak Rooster Crawler ESC

Quote:
Anyone have a link for the metal control arms and steering links? I believe this will be my very first upgrade.
oops read that wrong initially.
check the vendor's here...
Or you could make your own cheaply...

How To: Make your own links

Quote:
The SCX10's come with 1.9's right? Do people usually throw 2.2's under these? If so, what mods to the suspension/drivetrain is in order to do so?
yes 1.9's
many do... so guess it's a matter of personal choice and taste.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 09-13-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

From what I've seen with my running mates, don't expect much from the stock electronics in the Rubicon kit (basically the same as in the Honcho and Wraith RTR). Everyone I run with that started out with a stock RTR has had the ESC, motor and servo fail within weeks or months. Axial has upped their ESC and servo in their newer RTR releases (G6, Deadbolt and Ram Power Wagon), so I'd probably recommend starting there if you like one of those bodies. Even if you really like the Rubicon body, you can easily put one of those on the Power Wagon. Enjoy! (BTW, my 5-year-old comes on 3+ hour trail runs and drives the whole time. Lots to look forward to.)
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

As for motors. If I plan on running a 2S lipo and intend on making it a crawler (i,e lower speeds), I want a higher turn motor, correct? My AX10 had my Titan 550 55T motor from my old Traxxas stampede and it was an excellent motor. Survived 3 years in my XL5 and 2-3 in my AX10 of wet/muddy conditions.

Anyone use these?

Im gonna go with the Solar D772 servo as you had suggested, seems like a nice one. Metal geared, but is it waterproofed?
Seems like im missing something? If I do plan on getting the kit, i'll need...

-Motor:
Traxxas Titan 550 55T

-ESC:
Novak Rooster Crawler

-Servo:
Solar D772

-Controller:
Stock Axial one that comes in the RTR kits.

What am I missing? O.o

Besides battery and charger :P

Last edited by evan1395; 09-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

55T is going to be extremely slow especially with a 2s battery....part of trailing and climbing has to do with wheel speed...you wont make it up some hills or over rocks simply because your wheel speed is too slow....there are 2 popular combinations...one is a 27t and a 2s...very good wheel speed and when geared properly acceptable crawling power and low speed control...Next is a 3s battery using a 35t motor...same wheel speed as a 2s on a 27t but even better low speed control....i personally have been using a 2s with a 27t and dont feel i want or even need more but in any case a 55t will not get you more places than a 27t motor will...youre better off with a 35t and a 2s than a 55t but a 27t is best on a 2s for all around performance.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
55T is going to be extremely slow especially with a 2s battery....part of trailing and climbing has to do with wheel speed...you wont make it up some hills or over rocks simply because your wheel speed is too slow....there are 2 popular combinations...one is a 27t and a 2s...very good wheel speed and when geared properly acceptable crawling power and low speed control...Next is a 3s battery using a 35t motor...same wheel speed as a 2s on a 27t but even better low speed control....i personally have been using a 2s with a 27t and dont feel i want or even need more but in any case a 55t will not get you more places than a 27t motor will...youre better off with a 35t and a 2s than a 55t but a 27t is best on a 2s for all around performance.
With that being said, I do recall my AX10 being almost TOO slow when I needed a bit more Oomph to get up and over bigger hills.
However it worked fine for my style of driving, so I may stick with it...for now.

Whats the little gizmo that everything plugs into on the rig, that usually has the antennae running out of it?!?!? Is that the receiver? What is a good one (3 channel) that will be compatible with all my components I listed in my post a couple posts up?

Last edited by evan1395; 09-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
With that being said, I do recall my AX10 being almost TOO slow when I needed a bit more Oomph to get up and over bigger hills.

What is a reputable, yet easy on the wallet, 27T motor that will be good with the Novak rooster?

Whats the little gizmo that everything plugs into on the rig, that usually has the antennae running out of it?!?!?
can you rebuild a motor?...do you have the tools to do so?...do you have a comm cutt3r and know how to use it properly?....If you answered no to any of these questions then all you need is a cheap throw away motor for 10 12 dollars....to spend 35 dollars for a good rebuildable only to have to throw it out or pay the cost to have it rebuilt plus shipping costs both ways will get expensive fast...the decision is ypurs but for a quality rebuildable check out the holmes hobbies torque master in a 27t configuration ...they run 35 dollars and are as good as any rebuildable if not better.....if you want to just get started then any axial rtr 27t or rc4wd 27t are good motors to use..they run 10 to 12 dollars new.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Yes..thats the receiver...3 channel is pretty common..should be fine.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #14

Will a Traxxas brand receiver work well? They're cheap and I had that same one for yeaaarrrs. As for an ESC, I cant seem to find the novak crawler anywhere online, did they discontinue them?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

As long as the receiver is compatible with the radio and vice versa it should work...not sure on the rooster esc..ive been using my rtr esc for almost 2 yrs now....those holmes hobbies motors also come in 35 and 55t configurations so you know...same price.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
As long as the receiver is compatible with the radio and vice versa it should work...not sure on the rooster esc..ive been using my rtr esc for almost 2 yrs now....those holmes hobbies motors also come in 35 and 55t configurations so you know...same price.
Maybe i'll just buy the stock ESC for the scx10 then and see how long it lasts me
If I do want a slower, more snappy low geared crawler, the 55T would be what I want, right? The lower "T", the faster it goes?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The AE2 ESC holds up fine.
but neither the ESC nor the D772 are water proof out the box.
But that can easily be remedied.
...mine were made water proof.

You don't want a 55T running 2s LiPo.
lack of torque and speed will bring deh suck.

for a 2s... I'd go with the 27T or maybe 35T
gear down if you want to control your speed

Get a BEC, run 3s LiPo
and never look back.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 09-13-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Maybe i'll just buy the stock ESC for the scx10 then and see how long it lasts me
If I do want a slower, more snappy low geared crawler, the 55T would be what I want, right? The lower "T", the faster it goes?
The rtr esc (AE2) is pretty reliable..at least it has been for me anyway...Its made by castle creations...its fully programmable using the castle link programmer...it has a drag brake and its not expensive...really cant ask for much more features for the price...you can find good used ones all day long...The only drawbacks to it is that its only compatible with a 2s lipo unless you use an external BEC with it and the stock internal one will not provide you the the power your d772 servo is capable of without a BEC as well...Invest in a castle BEC and youre good to go...i actually dont use an external BEC with my servo as its under 200oz in. Tq....and i only use a 2s lipo with a 27t motor....i personally havent felt the need for anything more with what i do with it ,which is pretty much everything but compete with it.

The higher number of turns means better torque or low speed control....but 55t doesnt necesarilly mean its the better choice...again, either a 27 and a 2s or a 35t and a 3s are the more common choices....you can even try a 35t on a 2s but a 27t would be the better choice using a 2s.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #19

Im considering just buying the RTR kit with a 2S lipo and upgraded links and steerking rods to start my rig off. Ill upgrade me servo when it dies. Chances are that will die off well before the other stock electronics?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #20
RCC Addict

To be honest with you i wouldnt argue that decision to go rtr at all...im a seasoned rc vet and still prefer to get rtr versions...its much quicker to get started and its easier to learn with in my opinion especially for someone new....the stock servo wont last you very long...it wears out pretty fast as it just uses plastic bushings..i would do the links and servo and be done with it....get yourself a 16t motor pinion for the stock motor and have fun with it..repair or upgrade as needed from there....dont drive it like a mad man and youll be surprised at just how much you dont need to upgrade or repair.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 09-13-2014 at 08:45 PM.

SCX10 Newbie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Newbie Tbone Axial SCX-10 14 09-12-2012 01:23 AM
scx10 newbie ofna Axial SCX-10 12 05-13-2011 05:22 AM
A Newbie and a SCX10 zombiecrawler426 Newbie General 5 02-22-2011 08:43 AM
newbie posting. SCX10 tr. rdm Axial SCX-10 2 12-15-2009 12:59 AM
newbie w/ a scx10 56effie Axial SCX-10 10 08-23-2009 10:19 PM