Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Trans?

Hey guys first time posting on this forum. Was thinking about getting a lightened steel gear set made by HR for my scx10. Has anyone tried these on here? I have researched places and they seem to be of good quality.
HULKMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 Trans?

Welcome to RCC. Search is your friend here. If you had done a search you would have found multiple threads mentioning the HR lightened steel gear set.

Yes, they are a good upgrade to the transmission. Well worth the price especially if you running a high power motor.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks. Still exploring the forum, learning how to utilize the search engine here. I found some info about the HR gears just not the light weight set. Guess I didn't try hard enough. I have been a member on another web forum for quite some time so I know how agitating newbies can be. I am very new to electrics in general not to mention crawlers. I have just completed this build last winter with the Gmade portals. Thinking about going with a wraith axle setup soon. So I figure I will be asking a lot of questions in the future. I appreciate the help.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Id just fork over a few more bucks for the Robison solid gears. They'll handle anything, I've even broken the top stock metal gear in my transmission and the robinson's held up with broken teeth running through them for a short time.

If its really the weight you're concerned with, I dont think it's a worth while endevor for the extremely small difference they'll make, that you wont even notice IMO.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

wile were on the toppic of robinson racing gears.......

why is it I can only find 2 of the internal gears for the trans? doesnt seem to madder where I look....

Robinson Racing 1542 Hardened Steel 1 Piece Outdrive or the Robinson Racing 1540 Differential Gear Hard that you bolt on your outputs to. (which is better?)

& the Racing 1541 Hardened Steel Idler Gear........ Where is the other gear? why dont they sell them as a full set?

Last edited by airdreams1; 09-17-2014 at 07:40 PM.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULKMAXX View Post
Thanks. Still exploring the forum, learning how to utilize the search engine here. I found some info about the HR gears just not the light weight set. Guess I didn't try hard enough. I have been a member on another web forum for quite some time so I know how agitating newbies can be. I am very new to electrics in general not to mention crawlers. I have just completed this build last winter with the Gmade portals. Thinking about going with a wraith axle setup soon. So I figure I will be asking a lot of questions in the future. I appreciate the help.
I did a SCX-10 build with portals too. I have the HR gears in it now. I started out with the RRP gears in it but stripped out the diff gear (1540) with the ROC412.

Here is my portal build: K7ZPJ's Green Rubi with Portal Axles

Last edited by k7zpj; 09-17-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

That's a sweet build man! I really like my portals I kept the stock location on the servo mount on the axle for the R1. I had plans of moving but I may do a wraith axle upgrade this winter. I went ahead and ordered the HR light weight steel gear kit. I have only stripped one set of stockers so I am sure these will hold up well. I am only running a RC4WD 45T right now with a 2s lipo so no extreme power or anything. Thinking about upgrading to a holmes hobby 45t motor soon. If I can figure out how to get pics posted I'll post some up. Only complaint I have with my portals are the weighted 2.2's I run, bend the front stub axle's on hard hits.

Last edited by HULKMAXX; 09-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The lightweight alloy gears
are more for higher rpm rigs.
Less rotating mass inside the differentials
will spin easier. (RPM)

Not really advantages for a crawler...
for that...
would be better to have the extra weight and heavier rotating mass
of the steel gears. (Torque)
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
wile were on the toppic of robinson racing gears.......

why is it I can only find 2 of the internal gears for the trans? doesnt seem to madder where I look....

Robinson Racing 1542 Hardened Steel 1 Piece Outdrive or the Robinson Racing 1540 Differential Gear Hard that you bolt on your outputs to. (which is better?)

& the Racing 1541 Hardened Steel Idler Gear........ Where is the other gear? why dont they sell them as a full set?
the factory "top" gear in an axial transmission already metal...

given its cast not machined like RR gears.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
Id just fork over a few more bucks for the Robison solid gears. They'll handle anything, I've even broken the top stock metal gear in my transmission and the robinson's held up with broken teeth running through them for a short time.

If its really the weight you're concerned with, I dont think it's a worth while endevor for the extremely small difference they'll make, that you wont even notice IMO.
Robinson has great warranty/customer service. A 3600kv 4 pole on 2S did this on a non crawler go fast of mine...just my personal track runner...nothin special.

They offered to send a replacement no problem...buy Robinson Racing when you can! "Thumbsup"

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop

Last edited by Undefined; 09-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

On 2S...not 4S lol

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

I appreciate everyone sharing all this info. If my HR gear set don't hold up I will probably be purchasing a Super shafty bomb proof trans setup. Anyhow here is a pic of the rig's current setup.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
jpf
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 Trans?

I tought Super Shafty used HR gears in their boomb proof setups?
HR= Hot Racing? Right?
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
I tought Super Shafty used HR gears in their boomb proof setups?
HR= Hot Racing? Right?
Yes, The SS Bomb Proof transmissions have the Hot Racing Steel Gears in them.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the forum, These guys are awesome with their advise & builds!
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
would be better to have the extra weight and heavier rotating mass
of the steel gears. (Torque)
Umm, quite wrong. These are BATTERY powered vehicles...you want the least amount of rotating mass possible. The only exception is adding weight to the wheels.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULKMAXX View Post
Hey guys first time posting on this forum. Was thinking about getting a lightened steel gear set made by HR for my scx10. Has anyone tried these on here? I have researched places and they seem to be of good quality.
Go for it!! I've run a pair of Integy 35T motors and now a single HH crawlmaster pro 16T both on 4s and have zero issues with the gears. Those gears will stay when I eventually go with brushless.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I'm quite new to the crawling game however lightweight HR were my internal gears of choice as well.
I have a 10.5 tekin red-line installed now, I have no intention of keeping it installed, just haven't decided to go brushed or tekin Roc 412 yet.
I have an abundance of knowledge in the sct area of the hobby so brushed motors and their place of prevalence is something I'm learning.
As far as I can tell to this point, the best sensored motor cant achieve the smooth performance the brushed can.
billy bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Umm, quite wrong. These are BATTERY powered vehicles...you want the least amount of rotating mass possible. The only exception is adding weight to the wheels.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Trans? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ax10 trans fit scx10 trans plate miked Newbie General 4 11-25-2011 12:17 AM