Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: how do I lower the transmission skid plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default how do I lower the transmission skid plate?

I bought the Hot Racing adjustable offset multi shock mount (SCX28M01) for my Dingo to give it a lift so that I can fit larger 2.2 tires. Now, I need to lower the transmission skid plate. How do I do that? Is there something being sold out there that will allow me to lower the transmission skid plate?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: how do I lower the transmission skid plate?

What are you trying to accomplish/problem to fix by lowering the skid plate?
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

@ k7zpj, the driveshafts angle are too steep. I found this: RC4WD Lower CG Skid Plate for Axial SCX10

But, from the pictures shown, I don't see the mounting points to be any lower than stock skid plate.
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I haven't tried one of these but it looks like it drops the trans about a 1/4 inch. The other option is to make the top link longer which clocks the axle making the driveline angle better
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Doesn't it seem counterproductive to lower the trans, which reduces the ground clearance you just added with your lift?

Lower it to stock height and cut the body as needed to fit larger tires. Best solution.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Doesn't it seem counterproductive to lower the trans, which reduces the ground clearance you just added with your lift?

Lower it to stock height and cut the body as needed to fit larger tires. Best solution.
Exactly what I was just about to suggest, I've never been a fan of the lift kits.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cut the body and/or raise the body to fit 2.2's. The further the axles go down away from the trans, the more problems you'll have. And what you'd be accomplishing by attempting to lower the skid is an expensive way to essentially raise the chassis and body in the process.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I haven't tried one of these but it looks like it drops the trans about a 1/4 inch. The other option is to make the top link longer which clocks the axle making the driveline angle better
I agree, use spacers on the top links and this will raise the pinion angle.
Just adding a 5mm spacer to the rod ends could be all you need, check with RCP Crawlers, they have a nice selection of spacers and links.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
I agree, use spacers on the top links and this will raise the pinion angle.
Just adding a 5mm spacer to the rod ends could be all you need, check with RCP Crawlers, they have a nice selection of spacers and links.
This will also upset the caster on the front axle and do nothing for the gearbox end of the driveshaft.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

I actually have the RC4WD skid on my G6, and I love it. It actually slides better than the stock skid, so the slightly lower ground clearance is a non-factor. The lower CG definitely helps handling, and the delrin reduces chassis flex considerably over the stock plastic. So all in all, it's been a big net gain. Unfortunately, they have discontinued it.

With all that said, ussprinceton2004, as others have pointed out, lowering the tranny won't help tire clearance at all. Your best bet is to cut the fenders out or raise the body. Or just get some really good 1.9s and it will do as much as you could do with 2.2s (I've run mine both ways and now prefer the 1.9s).
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Check out The Scale Shops skid plate: Chassis -

Nice and slippery.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #12

I know this thread is older now but has anyone found a solution to lower the skid? I want to keep my ride height and have ground clearance to spare (under skid) but my driveline angle is too harsh. I also want to increase axle clearance. there are some frames out there that do this as mentioned such as the tss-xchr and others but all are >$50 and am trying to see if there is a cheaper solution.

thinking about making a small custom chassis lift but not sure if the tranny will clear between the frame rails if i drop it about 10mm. anyone try this? kinda like one of these but much shorter

please dont tell me about changing body height/ shock set up that is not the solution i am looking for as it will not address everything i need.
awpldlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You can get a set of junfac driveshafts, they have a sharper operating angle than the stock ones and MIP's do. I used them on a custom built tundra that had special issues..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
You can get a set of junfac driveshafts, they have a sharper operating angle than the stock ones and MIP's do. I used them on a custom built tundra that had special issues..
thanks for the tip, i will try a set but that does not help with the axle clearance, only solution i see without getting an aftermarket rail set is to some how drop the skid plate. anyone know of a lowered skid plate that is still around or try to make some kind of bracket to lower it?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Heres 2 different styles ive found on ebay...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222497061022

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401522189865

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Heres 2 different styles ive found on ebay...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222497061022

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401522189865

This is what I was talking about but they are quite drastic. Looking to drop it about 3/8” or so. These are more like a whole 1”.
I think I’ll have to trim the frame rails so the transmission will fit between and relocate the upper links to use a custom bracket. Just looking to see if anyone has done this before before I waste a bunch of time tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpldlto View Post
This is what I was talking about but they are quite drastic. Looking to drop it about 3/8” or so. These are more like a whole 1”.
I think I’ll have to trim the frame rails so the transmission will fit between and relocate the upper links to use a custom bracket. Just looking to see if anyone has done this before before I waste a bunch of time tinkering.

Have u checked home depot or lowes for flat stock? I think u could get about any width n use it to make the drop bracket for the skid plate

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #18

I have plenty of flat aluminum stock to work with just wanted to see if someone else has tried this yet and figured out all the issues but I guess I’ll just hav to try it myself. I’ll post once I get it finished. Got an extra frame around so I got nothing to lose except time

Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpldlto View Post

First of all I dont think tinkering on my rigs is a waste of time, its fun. That being said that is where I come up with a lot of the solutions to my problems with my rig. I could be sitting at my work bench and putting together a set of new tires and rims and come up with a fix for a totaly different issue.
I would start with a piece of cardboard and make a template for your lift kit. Use some flat stock or better yet a piece of "C" channel from another frame and just bolt it on below where the other skid bolts up. I would copy the bolt holes then install your skid to the new section. A little bit of fab work and your good to go.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

how do I lower the transmission skid plate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
skid plate/lower link issue tcdawg Axial SCX-10 2 01-26-2013 10:35 AM
Measurements for stock AX10 Transmission mounting plate/skid plate Apoch Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-09-2012 07:53 AM
how do you remove the transmission from skid plate? Bamaswamper Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 11-09-2010 06:42 AM
Reversed Skid Plate/Transmission HeliosCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 11-08-2008 06:33 PM