Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Confusion on motor choice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Confusion on motor choice.

I have a stock SCX10 with the 27t motor running on 3s. I'm not "unhappy" with it but I would like just a tad more top end speed while still being able to crawl some. The trails and terrain I have local to me aren't very rocky and there are a lot of wide open areas, so some more speed would be nice. I've read great things about the Holmes Hobbies 13t Crawlmaster motor but I'm confused. I've read that although it is a 13t motor, it will not be any faster than my stock 27t, is that correct? Or have I misunderstood? I thought the lower the turns, the faster the top end, but I guess some motors are built differently.

So I guess my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade to a HH Crawlmaster 13T for more speed over my stock 27t? Or should I just roll with a stock 20t wraith motor?

Thanks!
d1ehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Confusion on motor choice.

The Crawlmaster series of motors use a different type of armature, so the 13t is equivalent to a regular 27t. However, it has much better low speed control and power. If you want to go faster, the 20t will be very unexciting. It gives maybe a 1 mph boost, but your temps start to get pretty high. If you want to have speed and torque, you need to convert to brushless.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

When you are ready. Step up to a Mamba Max Pro and 2800-3200 kv brushless on 3S

Last edited by DrDiff952; 11-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
The Crawlmaster series of motors use a different type of armature, so the 13t is equivalent to a regular 27t. However, it has much better low speed control and power. If you want to go faster, the 20t will be very unexciting. It gives maybe a 1 mph boost, but your temps start to get pretty high. If you want to have speed and torque, you need to convert to brushless.
Ah, I see. So the Crawlmaster would still be a worthy upgrade, even if it doesn't yield more top end.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'd recommend getting a different machine for speed &/or bashing.

Considering any 1/8 off road racing buggy, the recipe for speed and handling has been proven and it's nothing like the top heavy and very narrow SCX10.

There are many machines out there which lure people into enjoying a faster driving experience and for good reason: it's fun! (ha)

I'd like to own a garage full of different rolling vehicles so I could pick the best machine for the type of driving I'd like to do.

I think it's usually true: take a machine designed for "x" and try to make it do "y" and it won't end up doing either one very well.

Also, based on my experience, driving fast machines can be as fun as it is frustrating. It seems like there are more parts which get broken, more downtime, more expense, but for some reasons I'll always enjoy driving fast machines - even though I do drive a lot more conservative than I used to.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I'd recommend getting a different machine for speed &/or bashing.

Considering any 1/8 off road racing buggy, the recipe for speed and handling has been proven and it's nothing like the top heavy and very narrow SCX10.

There are many machines out there which lure people into enjoying a faster driving experience and for good reason: it's fun! (ha)

I'd like to own a garage full of different rolling vehicles so I could pick the best machine for the type of driving I'd like to do.

I think it's usually true: take a machine designed for "x" and try to make it do "y" and it won't end up doing either one very well.

Also, based on my experience, driving fast machines can be as fun as it is frustrating. It seems like there are more parts which get broken, more downtime, more expense, but for some reasons I'll always enjoy driving fast machines - even though I do drive a lot more conservative than I used to.
Yeah, I know what you mean. This thing handles like a red brick on wheels lol. I'm working on the handling though, wider stance, lower cog, etc. I'm not wanting racing speed by any means, just looking for a tad more top end. Although, this 13t crawlmaster sounds great. If it keeps the same speed I have now, but offers a smoother, stronger bottom end, that's the way I will go.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

2 speed trans.......
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ehard View Post
. . . I'm working on the handling though, wider stance, lower cog, etc.

I had excellent results with my Junfac extensions on my SCX10 - recommended for a quick way to widen things up

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
When you are ready. Step up to a Mamba Max Pro and 2800-3200 kv brushless on 3S
One thing to add is make sure it's sensored. Going this route will give you what you're looking for.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have a G6 running a ROC 412 3100 kv on 3s with 11/56 gearing, and it's a great setup. Plenty of top end, good low speed resolution (though not quite as good as a Crawlmaster), and stays cool all day long. With some suspension tuning and the right tires, it also handles well. You'll never confuse it for a SC truck, but that's not the point. If you go that route, be prepared for a slew of immediate upgrades for durability (hardened tranny gears, CVDs, driveshafts, knuckles/chubs/lockouts, to name a few).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a old Holmes hobbies crawlmaster 1000kv brushless with 3s. It's not the fastest rig but has incredible power and control down low. I mainly crawl with mine and don't do trail runs. But when I want speed I just throw in my 3600kv Vxl motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Confusion on motor choice. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor confusion . Help ? rc_pimp Electronics 2 05-31-2010 07:22 PM
Motor confusion Greatscott Electronics 5 09-01-2009 07:30 AM
Motor confusion Crawler419+1 Newbie General 3 05-06-2009 10:21 AM
Motor Break in Confusion Doodoob Electronics 8 08-08-2007 10:00 AM
Motor troubles/confusion PLEASE HELP! Reflection Electronics 15 02-15-2005 01:58 PM