Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Power wagon build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Power wagon build up

Hello all. Ive done a few different threads on here but never get around to keeping up with them, this one I will. Picked it up off tower and lower links, steering links.

I plan on keeping 1.9s and doing up as scale as I can (with a little extra here and there).

Just parted out my wraith with a little to much money in it and kept a few things that are in the scx10 now:

Mmp esc
Roc412 2300kv motor
Savox high torque servo
Hardened overdrive gear for the front, hardened stock ratio for the rear.

Also threw on a rear set of shock keys which I do happen to like very much. Did a few free mods like mounting esc and rx box on the sliders and turning the battery mount sideways across the frame in the front to keep cog lower.

Also since no bumpers come on this rig stock and as far as I can see no one but scaler fab makes them (I have the front bumper with d rings on the way) I went ahead and stuck 8 wheel weights to the front bumper stop and 4 in the rear and wrapped them in electrical tape to hide them and keep em from falling off, this does help the rig ALOT more than what I expected.

All stock

Few things done

Picked up a new set of wheels off ebay. Tsl xl 1.9 tires with crawler innovation closed cell foams.

And tonight I picked some styrene up and went to work on a camper shell. Its not done, I need to add windows and few other things like closing the gap some from the truck to the shell but its framed up. Painted with plasti dip red.

Ill be posting more as I do things to it. Next step is some mirrors!
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Power wagon build up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Hello all. Ive done a few different threads on here but never get around to keeping up with them, this one I will. Picked it up off tower and lower links, steering links.

I plan on keeping 1.9s and doing up as scale as I can (with a little extra here and there).

Just parted out my wraith with a little to much money in it and kept a few things that are in the scx10 now:

Mmp esc
Roc412 2300kv motor
Savox high torque servo
Hardened overdrive gear for the front, hardened stock ratio for the rear.

Also threw on a rear set of shock keys which I do happen to like very much. Did a few free mods like mounting esc and rx box on the sliders and turning the battery mount sideways across the frame in the front to keep cog lower.

Also since no bumpers come on this rig stock and as far as I can see no one but scaler fab makes them (I have the front bumper with d rings on the way) I went ahead and stuck 8 wheel weights to the front bumper stop and 4 in the rear and wrapped them in electrical tape to hide them and keep em from falling off, this does help the rig ALOT more than what I expected.

All stock

Few things done

Picked up a new set of wheels off ebay. Tsl xl 1.9 tires with crawler innovation closed cell foams.

And tonight I picked some styrene up and went to work on a camper shell. Its not done, I need to add windows and few other things like closing the gap some from the truck to the shell but its framed up. Painted with plasti dip red.

Ill be posting more as I do things to it. Next step is some mirrors!
I think I'm going to get the same one, so I want to see where this goes. I noticed the lacked of bumpers, I was concerned.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Scaler fab has them and they are sweet. I cant wait to get it and install it.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Like the camper shell!
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got the side windows done, disregard it being raised up and a little off level, I tried velcro on the shell but dont think I like it have to come up with another idea.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Added a rear window I think its about done. First go at it didnt turn out as bad as I thought it would.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

I love my powerwagon and with all the scalerfab goodies! Troy is a good friend of mine and I strongly recommend his stuff!!! The best thing about his bumpers especially for this truck is with it mounted in the shortest mounting position you keep stock approach and decent. Love the topper man nice build!
Attached Images

oliver67969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Awesome trail run yesterday. Lots of gripping rocks and some covered in moss/ sand and water. Definitely a very challenging trail run. Only broke 1 plastic c hub (changing them to alum very soon) and the screw for it came loose shortly after but for 5 hours and 1 1/2 3s batteries later it was just fine. These tires are very sticky and actually am quite impressed.

Bumpers are def a must right now cant wait for my scalerfab front bumper, the body likes to get in the way alot on a decend.

Few pics I snapped an maybe a video if itll load

Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've had mine for about a day. Already got it stuck in a mud/ice pit. And watched it tumble 15ft or so. I am going to copy your battery/Rx box layout. It looks far more efficient
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It works pretty well. Eventually ill buy a plate for it but im to caught up in my drift car and my yeti for that lol. Still wheeling the dodge every trail run tho, now it mainly only sees 4s and after that 3s so it's a fun trail to say the least.

I would find another place but ive bought other things from scaler fab and love the products. Im being patient since it is the holidays. I got an email from pay pal it shipped this morning so itll be posted up soon!

Got a cage from a honcho for it...

Gonna run like this and get the dinky bedsides.
Got a little muddy last sunday..

Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well got a excellent crawling spot to go to tomorrow and while I'm waiting on my dinky bed sides I tried this out. I have a new body being picked up tomorrow so I wasnt to worried about hacking this bed up. If anyones wondering the bed is about a 1/4 to short for the whole bed and tailgate assembly to fit around the honcho cage. Other than that it would look awesome.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

New years outing pics

Lots of sweet rocks to climb, these swampers were my first choice on this rig due to running them once before and loving them, on rocks their great, when their wet they seem to grip better, mud and sand they clean right out (with a quick jerk of the throttle on 4s of course lol)

Note** my bumper comes today "shock" ill take pics of it off and then installed.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

One more good pic, it three wheels up hills but still makes it and grips excellent. I have a video of this climb but can't get it to post so maybe ill try from a computer.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Its def my favorite, even tho its just a different body still a sweet little machine. Im happy with it and the stuff thats done to it. I beat the heck out of it and would normally have broken a few parts on my normal scx10s. This one has hardened gears and vanquish lockers. Only thing I could complain about is the steering but I am still running dog bones and thats the reason. I could slap a set of universals in it and be content but I won't unless I absolutely need to.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yup its here. Got a few other things as well. Turbo is for my drifter lol not the dodge. I dont know yet if ill even put the license plates on they were free because I know I didnt order them lol. Going to run 2 winches on this truck front and rear. I bought the driveshafts on a whim but I probably wont ever use them unless absolute need them. The stock ones hold up great with a Roc412 2300kv, hardened over drive gears, and a 400+ oz servo and its been in some pretty good binds and no snapping or twisting of the driveshafts yet. Axial did good with the new wildbores

Front of bumper

Side shot

Underneath. Its pretty stout

Parts n pieces

Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Here it is. Mounted up body has to be trimmed but I knew that when getting it.

With the brand spankin new body. I do like the bumper should help on approaches being able to slide up or onto rocks, etc

Now to mount the winch and mount the fairlead on the bumper
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Last post for today. Mounted the winch up and fairlead, using steel cable now in the future I might go to synthetic line. Ill use a rc4wd fairlead then. Bulldog winch and king kong hook

Can you spot the winch?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Its def my favorite, even tho its just a different body still a sweet little machine. Im happy with it and the stuff thats done to it. I beat the heck out of it and would normally have broken a few parts on my normal scx10s. This one has hardened gears and vanquish lockers. Only thing I could complain about is the steering but I am still running dog bones and thats the reason. I could slap a set of universals in it and be content but I won't unless I absolutely need to.

I plan on using the same approach on RC as with my real crawler. I am going to buy it and wheel it stock as hard as I can until something breaks. When I break something, I will replace with stronger components.

On a side note, I can't tell what shock length I need to be using? is it 90 or 100mm?
Sempertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I believe stock shocks are 90mm.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Cab lights installed. Need three more orange 3mm and itll be finished. what a very tedious install, lining things up and trying to hold the lights in, cutting and re cutting to get them to fit. But it was def worth it..

Off

On

Power wagon build up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power wagon build Rooster87 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 06-29-2010 09:55 PM
Project: Power Wagon 2.2 build. justinart24 2.2 Scale Rigs 71 10-11-2009 02:12 AM
Another POWER WAGON build 49B1PW 1.9 Scale Rigs 23 08-28-2009 12:25 AM
power wagon build XxPr3miumRid3rxX 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 08-23-2007 08:12 AM
Power-wagon Diaz Ds-1 Scale Build. rockcrawler505 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 07-11-2006 01:21 PM