Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another Unimog build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Another Unimog build.

Thanks for posting all the helpful pics of your build! I have access to welding equipment, and a father-in-law who's willing to give me some lessons, and your pics make it look like it might not be too difficult to figure out. The main problem, for me, is distance and time, since my in-laws live nearly 80 miles away and having little children make it difficult to focus on a project like this. I have a friend that really wants a custom Unimog cage, and I wish I could build one, but I think it would be a long while before I ever got around to it. Still, I might start practicing on the acetylene torch whenever we visit, and perhaps, in a shorter time, I might be able to put one together.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Thanks for posting all the helpful pics of your build! I have access to welding equipment, and a father-in-law who's willing to give me some lessons, and your pics make it look like it might not be too difficult to figure out. The main problem, for me, is distance and time, since my in-laws live nearly 80 miles away and having little children make it difficult to focus on a project like this. I have a friend that really wants a custom Unimog cage, and I wish I could build one, but I think it would be a long while before I ever got around to it. Still, I might start practicing on the acetylene torch whenever we visit, and perhaps, in a shorter time, I might be able to put one together.
I was taught to weld using the acetylene torch on 16 gauge steel, once you get that down mig welding is a breeze. There is a couple factors in way my welds don't look good: flux core wire ( it being what came with the welder), and harbor freight welder but it was what I had to work with, just means more grinding than I'm used to doing. Practice as much as you can, it is a fun and useful skill to know.

When you go to bend the bars, make sure they are the previous bends are sitting either level or at a needed angle. Like the top bars in the back of the cage one bend is 90 degrees from the other. You won't have to do as much tweaking of the bars to have the sit correctly.
Grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #23

After spending the weekend up at my parents, i came home to some parts that had arrived in the mail.
Holmes hobbies Revolver S 540s (stubby version)

front axle complete

rear axle complete
Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #24

Managed to find some Pitbull Rcok Beast 1.9's, and picked up some SSD steel wheels. friday I have some foams coming from Crawler Innovations.

Love the steering angle from the RC Bro's set up

Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 AM   #25

It has been a long time since I have posted here, I have had my Unimog out a few times and found out that I have bump steer issues. I'm going to hopefully resolve tomorrow. but here is a picture of it ant one of my favorite local spots.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

What type of rod did you build the cage with?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #27

First off I love the build...but I have a question about the front axle, when you installed the xr10 universals did you have to cut them down? Im just wondering if there is another way or part out there so you dont have to mod the universals, I dont mind doing it Im just wondering.
TJ 919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

TJ919, you have to extend the flattened area on the axles to engage the spool properly and then trim the inner axle ends to length. They can be little longer than stock for more spool engagement without hitting each other in the middle.

GreaseMonkey, very nice build love the Unimogs and great crawl spot pic! When I installed and setup my VP CMS, I found that I needed a slightly longer draglink to get my steering servo throw more even (left/right amount servo horn travelled) and that this helped the slight amount of bump steer. I still have very tiny amount of bumpsteer when cycled on the bench, but it is not felt at all during crawling. I used the stock VP length panhard, upper and lower links. I'm running Axial aluminum SCX-10 chubs and highsteer knuckles, not VP.

I like you battery/body mount, how did you mount the rear of the battery mount? Pic from side/below?

Last edited by Natedog; 08-27-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #29

Thx Natedog.. Im going to give it a go.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, start slow and take a little off the axles at a time as you extend the flats, it's best to make it a slight press fit into the spool. Good time to install LockedUpRC FI spools before you extend teh flats. EDIT: Oh you already have those spools...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #31

Ya I have it all but the slpine tubes but im ordering today. thx again for the info
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Very cool build. Definitely need to post more pics. Congrats on winning that SS trans. I love mine.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #33

snapon boy, I used 3/16 Cold roled steel rod (Bought from Lowes).

Natdog, I will have to get a picture of the mount for you, I scraped the one made of steel made another out of aluminum. I had to enlarge the small holes that are between the shock mounts and the front upper link mounts.

I think my issue is with the VP scale wraith knuckles, the arm that the Drag link mounts to is higher that a scx10 knuckle.

Thank you every one I will have to get some more pictures some time soon.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thank you
Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #35

Today I had put in an order with Holmes Hobbies for the Mamba micro x so I could finally use my out-runner motor. I also ordered two 3 cell Lipo batteries.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #36

I got the Mamba Micro X in the mail today, had to go to the local hobby shop for new 4mm female connectors for the motor leads. Then I messed up and for got to undo the positive on the ESC lead going to the RX and fried my external BEC, but thankfully everything is working off the internal BEC with no issues yet. I ran it around a little bit this evening and I and loving how smooth this motor is and the ample amount of torque it has for being on 2s Lipo. I have acouple Of 3s lipos coming to run it on.

Last edited by Grease monkey; 11-04-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add more words
Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #37

These pictures may not be of the drive shafts but they are current pictures taken today.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 AM   #38

This last Sunday I was able to head up to Roseburg OR to do some crawling with a few friends up there. Had fun even though it started at 28 Deg. F. figured I would share a few of my favorite pictures.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 AM   #39

Well after a few months of racking my brain trying to find a way to get the steering/ suspension set up right the owner of Next level RC pro suggested using some G-made servo mounts (GM51126S) to pick the front of the servo up higher. The only thing I had to do was switch out the servo horns to the Axial aluminum one, when turning full left it just barely clears. The drag link and Panhard bar are closer to being parallel, not perfect but loads better than before. I and also picked up a Axial simple led light kit, some voodoo KLR tires, and some MIP hex drivers (I don't know why I waited so long to get them).

Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

The krls work awesome after the mold stuff is off (easy off oven cleaner) the mip's the only way to go! Your unimog is very cool. I'm going to have to have/make one

Sent from the old leather shop

Last edited by snapon boy; 03-05-2016 at 01:45 AM.

Another Unimog build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Unimog Build. HahnsB2 Axial SCX-10 23 07-18-2016 03:21 PM
CC01 Unimog build. last-person Tamiya XC/CC01 10 05-10-2013 03:41 PM
My Unimog build last-person Tamiya XC/CC01 0 02-09-2013 07:28 PM
My Army Unimog Build dbb888 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 03-14-2008 07:01 PM
My Unimog U500 build-up.... mrpink 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 01-24-2007 09:43 PM