Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Cross mounted battery options and issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cross mounted battery options and issues

Last night I stripped down my Rubicon with the intention of making some suspension travel mods and look at potentially moving the battery lower and behind the shock hoops. I re worked the front cross brace so that it clears the servo horn, moved the electronics box to the rear, and started looking at battery relocation plans. I really like to do mods clean and OEM looking so I started looking at some of the aftermarket options.

I really like the Jevne racing bracket but for $50 I'm not so sure it is worth it. Even the Howler Customs is a bit pricey since I feel like I can make something like that from ace hardware for a fraction of the cost. So I started looking at making my own bracket and ran into an issue.

It doesnt matter how I try and place the Battery plate unless I mount it high against the back of the shock hoops it interferes with the tires at full turn. I currently have it zip tied to the back of the hoops and it clears everything but 1: I dont like the zip ties, and 2: I see tons of pics online with it mounted much lower. How, even with the after market brackets is the plate not rubbing on the tires?

Last edited by b4tn; 02-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.
b4tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cross mounted battery options and issues

You run 2.2s, big batteries or tighter turning radius parts? I know the tray can't rest on the frame on the low side because it will hit the driveshaft, but I only got the wheels to hit when I upgraded to 2.2s with stock steering radius. Maybe mount the battery on a slider?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have a Jevne racing tray on my JK and have no problems with tire rub at full turn/suspension travel and I have 50deg of steering travel, but if your looking for a cheaper option, try BPC battery relocation tray.
Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
You run 2.2s, big batteries or tighter turning radius parts? I know the tray can't rest on the frame on the low side because it will hit the driveshaft, but I only got the wheels to hit when I upgraded to 2.2s with stock steering radius. Maybe mount the battery on a slider?
They are 1.9's. The battery is a venom 3s 4000ma and is about the same size as the tray. The only aftermarket steering I have is GPM Steering knuckles.

I did notice that flat on the chassis the drive line hit so I made some spacers to rais it up a bit and drive line cleared but tires still hit.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

To be more clear, the only time it rubs is at full flex and turn. At relaxed position just sitting there is not rubbing.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm using the Howler Customs battery plate with 1.9 tires and wheels with stock steering and a huge 5000 mah 2 cell. I have no issues with binding or rubbing the tires against he battery plate.

I could have made the battery plate myself, but 20 bucks shipped with all the kinks worked out and a nice factory stamped look made it a no brainer for me. The only issue I see is that I will need special tabs added to metal sliders so I can still use the mounting holes the stock sliders provide.

Here's a couple of pics to show battery placement.

Here's a shot to show the angle of the battery on the bracket. It's not all the way down, providing a bit of space for the tires.

This is where it mounts in the front. It uses the same two holes that hold the receiver box in place. The spacers are the same used in the forward battery mod.

Here I've turned the front wheel in all the way. Even with the MT Baja Claws TTC tires, which are the same height as stock tires but much wider, there is plenty of room between the tire and the battery plate.

stopmojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just for the heck of it I took a 2.2 stock wheel off of my Wraith to see how it fits under the battery tray. As you can see, it fits nicely. There is no rubbing or binding and there is actually a good bit of clearance.

Here the chassis is fully compressed and the 2.2s are turned all the way in. Now they rub badly. When the frame articulates to the right and left, the battery tray actually compresses the tire.

So, from what I can see, the Howler Customs Battery tray works beautifully with 1.9s. If you are going with larger tires and wheels, I would make a custom tray that uses more narrow batteries so as not to allow the tray to be so wide that it interferes with the tires.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4tn View Post
To be more clear, the only time it rubs is at full flex and turn. At relaxed position just sitting there is not rubbing.
I didn't take a pic of the chassis compressed and the wheels turned with the 1.9s, but there is plenty of room.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

stopmojim, Awesome! Thanks for the pics, that all makes sense now. based off the side angle pic you posted my tray is zip tied at the exact same angle. I may go ahead and spring the $$ for the howler tray or see if I can bend up a sheet of aluminum on my own.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
stopmojim, Awesome! Thanks for the pics, that all makes sense now. based off the side angle pic you posted my tray is zip tied at the exact same angle. I may go ahead and spring the $$ for the howler tray or see if I can bend up a sheet of aluminum on my own.
Honestly, I think it would be real easy to make it yourself. I ordered the Howler Tray because it looks nice and finished and for 20 bucks shipped, that ain't so bad.

The same thing can be done with the factory battery tray and 4 shock mounts bolted in the same position as the howler ray. There is a thread on that somewhere here. Then, you just need a place for your ESC and receiver.

The Howler Tray just seemed like the easiest and simplest solution for me.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopmojim View Post
Honestly, I think it would be real easy to make it yourself. I ordered the Howler Tray because it looks nice and finished and for 20 bucks shipped, that ain't so bad.

The same thing can be done with the factory battery tray and 4 shock mounts bolted in the same position as the howler ray. There is a thread on that somewhere here. Then, you just need a place for your ESC and receiver.

The Howler Tray just seemed like the easiest and simplest solution for me.
I will have to search for the shock tower idea. Thanks for the input. Love the Sig too! lol
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

There's some real easy stuff you can make with stock parts. Stock tray with endlinks and servo mounts mounted in the right place make this an easy task for even THE most particular of modders (poking stick at myself here).

Will find the thread and link it for you ...

Post #3 from ... My SCX10 Deadbolt Build Threas

Not sure if he came up with that originally, but it shows what i'm talking about regardless.

Last edited by TakeOffYouHoser; 02-03-2015 at 06:48 PM.
TakeOffYouHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I built mine from stock parts and a piece of sheet metal
20141126_200538 by KJHillbery, on Flickr
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Cool. I have been working on a solution as well. I'll post more when I have something to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

If I didn't have so many beers that night, it would have taken under an hour to make the plate. I used 20g duct sheet metal, made two holes with a tab to mount on the cross brace, used the 2 servo mounts in the spare parts. I still have to trim off the excess, but it cost nothing to do.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It doesnt matter how I try and place the Battery plate unless I mount it high against the back of the shock hoops it interferes with the tires at full turn. I currently have it zip tied to the back of the hoops and it clears everything but 1: I dont like the zip ties, and 2: I see tons of pics online with it mounted much lower. How, even with the after market brackets is the plate not rubbing on the tires?
...alternative

and the lowest possible COG

saddles made from scrap 1/8" lexan sheet
lexan heated, ends angled upwards slightly
Then mounted directly atop the stock slider using original screw holes/mounts.
Counter sunk the screw heads into the lexan saddles,
I used slightly longer machined screw with a nylock nut.
velcro buckle straps secure the batteries to the saddles.

dual 3S 2200's connect using parallel harness (harness mia)

also did this with my homebuilt sliders...
even manage to run a dinky interior on my honcho
and clears my 2200's... but just barely.

yeah, I was bored with myself. Lol
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default Cross mounted battery options and issues

Here is how I have done it. I made a simple mount that used the stock tray parts and positions the battery as low as possible behind the front fenders. I just fitted it tonight and will be giving it, it's first test tomorrow out at Vasquez Rocks.

Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I just drilled somes holes in the stock plate and ziptied it in four locations. That sucker isn't going anywhere.

chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Paves Dingo Build, Battery relocation in post #4Heres how I did mine... used this method twice now and it creates NO issues.

Ive also used the Jevne and the Howler plates with no issues at all. And finally I used an aluminium one from Ebay that also worked great.

I use only 1.9 tires though.
Pavmentsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykid View Post
Here is how I have done it. I made a simple mount that used the stock tray parts and positions the battery as low as possible behind the front fenders. I just fitted it tonight and will be giving it, it's first test tomorrow out at Vasquez Rocks.

I would like to hear more about this and how to get a bracket made like that.

Cross mounted battery options and issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande chassis issues & upgrade options DRW-FJ40 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-21-2015 11:07 PM
Wiring options for body mounted lights? SCX10Dingo Axial SCX-10 9 02-28-2014 04:22 PM
Axle mounted battery DADSanRCjunkie HPI Wheely King 9 12-31-2013 08:32 AM
Axle mounted battery options cytogen G-Made Crawlers 3 02-11-2013 01:29 AM
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM