Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Moving Rubicon Front Axle Forward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Moving Rubicon Front Axle Forward

Has anyone moved their front axle forward? I know it changes the wheelbase but I really hate that the bumper sticks out so far. I want to be able to square up to something and have the tires just about hit, and be able to drive straight up. I guess the second question would be, is there enough length in the drive line to even do this?

I am looking to accomplish something similar to this while leaving the bumper on and shoving it as far back as possible, until it hits the end frame.

ANUFSED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Default Re: Moving Rubicon Front Axle Forward

yes. the front and rear drive shafts (if they are stock) are the same length, and the rear links are like 106mm and the fronts are 91mm. I had my front axle on 96mm links with Rox Lox 2.2 tires, and they where almost exactly where you where thinking about mounting yours. I could nose up to a wall and the bumper would touch, but it would climb.
JeepExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I found it much easier to cutoff the front of the frame. Basically moved the bumper mount back to the next hole in the frame. Had the slightly enlarge the hole, and trim a lil'bit off of the bumper bracket. Then trimmed the bumper down significantly to keep it from rubbing on the tires so I could move it further in on the mounts. I'd say I get better than 70* approach straight on, and easily 90* at a slight angle. The base of the stinger is almost touching the bottom of the grille.

In this pic the body is actually "tucked" behind the bumper. I've since trimmed the body and it sits "over" the bumper a smidge.

meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepExplorer View Post
yes. the front and rear drive shafts (if they are stock) are the same length, and the rear links are like 106mm and the fronts are 91mm. I had my front axle on 96mm links with Rox Lox 2.2 tires, and they where almost exactly where you where thinking about mounting yours. I could nose up to a wall and the bumper would touch, but it would climb.
Well, I have the material to make the links. I should just do it instead of thinking about it. 5mm longer rods are only about 3/16" (.197) of an inch longer. I am thinking about just using the stock plastic lower "rear" rods on the front for a mock up to see where it puts the axle. It would be about 8mm longer and about 5/16" (.314) forward? I'd like to think I could be able to move the axle 1/2" forward, making the wheelbase about 12.8 overall. I am not sure if the driveline would be a weak link by then?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

DO IT

Be the 1st to do it and post it....
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My jk is sitting on 13" wb with a wraith front axle and scx10 rear widened to wraith width. Looks mean as hell. Approach and departure angles are awesome now
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
My jk is sitting on 13" wb with a wraith front axle and scx10 rear widened to wraith width. Looks mean as hell. Approach and departure angles are awesome now
Crawling in a school bus is cool. lol
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

JeepKid, got any pics of this setup?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ass shot
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #12

my wheelbase is 13" i have the front end of my rubicon pushed out so that the tires are even with the tip of the rc4wd stinger bumper, it works great, and i have a better stance because of the extended wheelbase. Plus you increase your front end climbing degree capabilities as well
CustomBuildz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuildz View Post
my wheelbase is 13" i have the front end of my rubicon pushed out so that the tires are even with the tip of the rc4wd stinger bumper, it works great, and i have a better stance because of the extended wheelbase. Plus you increase your front end climbing degree capabilities as well
Do you have stock width axles? Is it tippy, side to side? To scale a 13" WB is long. I still want to try it tho.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuildz View Post
Can you share some pics for giggles?

Moving Rubicon Front Axle Forward - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More power and faster moving forward than moving backwards? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2012 09:11 PM
moving battery to front axle? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 4 12-21-2009 08:18 AM
front axle forward issues... pig bandit Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 07-22-2009 02:34 PM
Moving battery over front axle moddersunited Venom Creeper 8 03-08-2009 12:57 AM