Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Stock ESC and motor combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stock ESC and motor combo

Hello. I have a few quick questions about the RTR models.

How does the stock 27T perform? For those who have upgraded, what's the ideal turn motor that the esc will handle?

I'm an old school RC who hasn't made the lipo switch. I'm still running 7cell, 5000mah 8.4 volt packs. I'm new to the Lipo world. I'm a little confused with the differences between 2S and 3S. Is that the number of cells in the battery? Would the stock ESC be able to handle this:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C ???
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stock ESC and motor combo

The stock 27t motor is a capable motor but eventually it may fail or you will want to upgrade.
A 30 - 35t motor is a good place to start when and if you change motor.
You need to start using lipos. There are so many benefits and absolutely no down side to lipo batteries.
Yes 2S means two cells and 3S means 3 cells. The S means they are configured in series and therefore you know the voltage of the battery
2S = 2 x 3.7V = 7.4V
3S = 3 x 3.7V = 11.1V

The stock ESC depends on what model you have. Some can handle 2S or 3S. Either way that battery you linked to is 2S so it will run it.
HOWEVER - Traxxas batteries are notoriously overpriced and you can get an equal quality battery much cheaper elsewhere.

Finally - that is a big heavy battery - considering your battery is going to be sitting up quite high above the wheels / axles - that will make your centre of gravity high and make the truck prone to rolling over. Consider a smaller, lighter battery and if your esc will handle 3S (there should be a sticker on it that says 2 or 3S) then look for a 3S battery that will fit nicely - perhaps around 2200mah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. The only reason I was considering the Traxxas batteries is because their Lipo charger is so easy to use (and it only costs $50). I've only used Venom packs for the last 5 years or so. What would you recommend for Lipo in terms of both batteries and charger?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You can use the traxxas charger with any lipo battery. I prefer the onyx chargers my self but once I switched to lipo I won't go back. I used stick packs forever before I finally switched it's insane how much better they are.
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Get yourself an Onyx 245 Lipo charger, its a great entry level charger/balancer. You can charge 2 packs at up to 5 amps. For Lipos, Gens Ace are great and cheap, also look at SMC Lipos.
Scionizer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I also got the Traxxas charger when I switched over to LiPo. I havent seen a need to upgrade it yet... My 2s are Venom 2000mah which are about 1/4 the size and weight of your old stick packs. Honestly, theyre a bit small and low on output but theyre so light they still do OK in my scaler. With lipos, the higher the Mah, the bigger/ heavier the pack.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
I also got the Traxxas charger when I switched over to LiPo. I havent seen a need to upgrade it yet... My 2s are Venom 2000mah which are about 1/4 the size and weight of your old stick packs. Honestly, theyre a bit small and low on output but theyre so light they still do OK in my scaler. With lipos, the higher the Mah, the bigger/ heavier the pack.
True, as LiPo capacity goes up so does the weight and of course same goes with number of cells. But even a 6200 2S hardcase I have weighs 2-oz (56.7 grams) less than the 6-cell NiMH packs that I had to retire.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I use $10 lipo 3s (11.1 volt) 2,200mah (30-45 minute) batteries in my scx10 honcho on a 55t motor (I recommend 35t though). The chargers I've used for years run $25 apiece from the same website. If you're interested in either, check the link below.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the input fellas. @Stomper I see no link.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Thanks for all the input fellas. @Stomper I see no link.
Under all of my posts is a signature about the deadbolt scx10 and then a web address; copy and paste that into your browser, then hit ENTER.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Under all of my posts is a signature about the deadbolt scx10 and then a web address; copy and paste that into your browser, then hit ENTER.
Hard to see a signature when you have them and avatars turned off, the threads much cleaner with them turned off.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Hard to see a signature when you have them and avatars turned off, the threads much cleaner with them turned off.
Very true, but I get a kick out of some folks' sigs. Plus I block the avatars because I find some to be inappropriate.

Stock ESC and motor combo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC Motor Combo R/CMARK Newbie General 0 03-10-2012 10:52 AM
Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo fivepointnine98 Newbie General 10 07-05-2011 03:21 PM
motor/ esc combo for XR-10 gosouth Axial XR10 10 09-30-2010 10:53 PM
Rooster Crawler Combo 55 Motor/ESC In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-04-2007 12:09 AM