Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti

Another great day of crawling with the Wroncho Bug....it's always good when the tool bag stays unopened!!!!

Wroncho_Bug_33

This pic reminds me of a Star Wars scene!

Wroncho_Bug_32

....Roosting!!!!!

Wroncho_Bug_35

Wroncho_Bug_34

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:28 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

It's been a while since I have updated my Wroncho Bug thread, so without any further adieu.....

The biggest change is reverting back to a four link rear suspension vice the trailing arm set-up. The main reason for this is because I already have two other 2.2 rigs with T/A rear ends (DMG Wraith & Bomber) and I wanted to have a regular 4 link rig in my "garage".

I also swapped out the Vanquish AR60 axles out for the stock AR60 axles, albeit, they are still loaded with all the same aftermarket goodness inside. The project that used the VP AR60 axles is no longer so I may throw them back on since they are just sitting in a drawer.

The Holmes Hobbies HV400 servo was changed to a HiTec HS-7950TH.

The rear metal bumper was removed and the tail lights were relocated to the frame rails. I wanted to reduce this unnecessary rear weight.

A RC Bro knuckle weight kit was added.

I haven't had a chance to crawl it in this current configuration; I'm sure looking forward to it though because this machine has always been a fantastic performer. It's wide, has a low center of gravity (CoG) and incredible skid plate ground clearance. The wheelbase is at 13.25".

Here's how she sits today:

Wroncho_Bug_43

Wroncho_Bug_44

Wroncho_Bug_42

Wroncho_Bug_40

Wroncho_Bug_41

Wroncho_Bug_39

Wroncho_Bug_37

Wroncho_Bug_38

Wroncho_Bug_36

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

Awesome as usual. I was looking at the thread earlier and was going to ask when you were going to switch to 4 link What weights for the RC bro are you using on your builds? I have yet to try them and wanted some...
md666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Thank you. I have a collection of the RC Bro weights now...the skinny full circles, fat full circles, skinny half circles and fat half circles. The amount and type of weights I use depend on the balance of the rig and the backspacing of the wheels being used. I highly recommend them. Just remember, they can only be used on the standard Vanquish knuckles, not the scale knuckles. I also use the double tab weight holders to distribute the weight evenly on the knuckles.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #85
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help !
Old 02-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #86

One of my favorite builds on the forum...
foundryco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Thanxs.

Since I mentioned the Vanquish axle housings, I couldn't wait any longer and swapped them out last night.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up! Bet it looks the part.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Since my Wroncho Bug has been getting very little attention lately, I decided I would shower it with some "RED" Valentines gifts....RC4WD ARB Differential Covers from my LHS. They fit perfectly onto the Vanquish axle housings.

Wroncho_Bug_48

Wroncho_Bug_47

Wroncho_Bug_46

Wroncho_Bug_45

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

The one thing I dislike about the ARB diff cover on the front axle is the flat vertical surface that will stop the rig in it's tracks if it catches a rock the wrong way.

I was going thru my parts drawers and found DMG's steel AR60 skids....perfect! I only put it on the front, the rear doesn't have this potential issue.

Wroncho_Bug_49

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

I took the Wroncho Bug out for some testing today; I haven't driven it since I converted back to a four link rear suspension.

I wasn't very happy with it's performance compared to what it was with the trailing arm set-up. Even though the weight is very much forward biased, the rig still wanted to keep pulling the front end up resulting in back-flips.

I ended up snapping a Traxxas Jato link end on the axle side of the rear lower link from a bad landing....thank god it was only a link end and not the Vanquish Ti link, which has happened a few times in the past. I'm sure if the link end was a Revo end, the Titanium link would have snapped.

I got it back home and did some thinking as to why it was back flipping too easy....I measured the wheelbase and it was a little less than 13.5 inches, shorter than what the T/A version was. So I added about a half inch of wheelbase to help. I also replaced the rear P-L Powerstroke (SC Rear) shocks with the Powerstroke SC front shocks. I removed the elevated rear shock mounts from the frame so that the shorter shock mounted lower to match the front height. This also gave the shock less forward lean so that the rear wouldn't squat as much which will hopefully minimize the front from coming up too easy on steep inclines.

Hopefully I can get back out soon to the same location to test in the same climbs to see if their is a favorable improvement.

In the meantime, here's a short video of today's testing....the flip at the end is where the link end snapped. I edited the video short to get rid of the bad words I said!!!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

what body is that again? the yeti baja bug by proline?
I have 2 scx10 baja bug builds now, both use duratrax baja bug bodies...these guys are great! but a wroncho bug is calling my name!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Yes...it's the P-L Baja Bug for the Yeti. I love the way it looks and I'm thinking when it's time to replace the body, it may well be another bug.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

yeah, i love the duratrax baja bugs but they are very hard to find...
Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

I was able to get some more trials completed today.....what a huge improvement in performance today. The balance is very good again, but could still be a tad better.

I'm going to put the longer SC rear shocks on the rear again as I found I needed more articulation; the SC Powerstroke front shocks just don't have enough travel required for a 2.2 Wroncho.

I also used the Axial BF Goodrich Krawler T/A R35 tires with CI DD 5.5 soft outer foams. These tires performed incredibly well today, I was not expecting that they would stick like glue to the rocks. They will be staying on this rig for now.

The wheelbase may get lengthened a bit more.....

I took more video today, but I still have to edit it.

Took a bad landing on the way back to my truck and snapped two more rear Jato link ends. Some people say not to use the Jato ends (use Revo ends instead), but they are the weak link and have saved me two days in a row from snapping expensive VP Ti links. The Traxxas link ends are easy to replace on the trail and are cheap.

Wroncho_Bug_50

Wroncho_Bug_51

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I was up burning the midnight oil last night working on the Wroncho Bug's anti-squat geometry. I want to be able to have the rear end articulate, but with stiffer shock springs to help prevent the rear suspension from squatting when performing steep climbs, I'm not getting this suspension travel I like.

So I thought I would experiment with anti-squat geometry. Please don't ask me the science behind it because I don't know...but if someone wants to school me, please feel free.

I used Vanquish Ackerman arms to add height to the rear upper link inner mounts. From the research I have done, the more distance between the upper and lower link mounting points on the skid side will provide anti-squat and vice-versa.

I will give this a try soonest and if proves to be effective, I will change to green stripe springs instead of the firmer yellow stripe springs on the rear shocks.

Wroncho_Bug_52

Wroncho_Bug_53

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

I just did a quick trial in my bedrock backyard....I'm going to have to say this new anti-squat geometry change is a complete success; I was able to slow climb a 6 ft rock face that I have never been able to do with any other crawler. Previously, the only way I could get up this face was with speed because there's a "bump out" half way up that always bumps the front end away from the face. This is great news.

Last edited by bilinvic; 02-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Yesterday's video.....

Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Since the elevated anti-squat mount functions as I hoped it would, I strengthened the Ackerman arm by triangulating the mount location with a piece of ABS sheet. It looks a little red-neck, but it works!

I also bolted up a VP Currie centered axle on the rear end....it was not being used and looks prettier than an VP AR60 axle.

The front shocks were rebuilt with Green Slime and P-L 30 wt fluid. I swapped the blue stripe front lower spring on the passenger side with a stiffer green stripe to help with the very slight bit of torque twist.

Wroncho_Bug_54

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

that settles it, I am going to have to build one of these and also incorporate some of your geometry into my 2 existing bugs...

very nice build and video!

Wroncho Baja Bug - Wraith, SCX10, Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Baja Bug Build lodger Axial SCX-10 16 09-01-2013 05:36 PM
Scx10 Baja bug Twztid Axial SCX-10 2 02-16-2012 06:15 PM