Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

First run in ages and first run of 2016 with this little beasty, even in the most unusual of places (a small rock pile and crap heap in the middle of a friends field) it still brings a smile to my face, I forgot the strap for my DSLR so it was a little difficult getting myself into good photo situations but I took a few anyway.

Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Well, it would appear I'm officially a CI convert!
I actually (no disrespect to CI meant) thought they'd make no difference at all, my rig is hardly comp ready or a professional set up so I assumed the foams wouldn't make a huge difference.
I was wrong.
Only put fronts in right now just to test, rears are going in shortly, and I can already tell the grip is better, going on advice from the website, I ordered the right kind, size and rigidity based on my tyre size and rig weight... They have definitely made a difference.
Even after fitting them, I thought they'd be far too hard because I've been used to having a very soft foam.
Only got to do a quick test in the garden, but it shows below, that with the old foams, they squashed down too much, I couldn't get up this rock from a dead straight position with the old foams... I can now, just it's definitely an improvement and just shows these have definitely worked, better grip and more ground clearance.
I also found going up that little rock (which actually my bumper used to get caught on and doesn't now either) that the front wheels actually gripped better to pull the rear up too, looking forward to a proper test with all 4 changed.
Same situation with the second rock, it might be a bit difficult to see, but there is a drop before it and my front bumper used to always get caught up on it... It doesn't anymore.
Fitting them was also helped by my dog Jayde and my friend Jack Sparrow :P
The first picture actually shows a good shot of the size difference, just as Jayde decided she needed to give them a sniff test lol.

Jack just getting the wheel off!

He made ME do the foam!
But he did offer to put them back on.

Same pressure applied to both the rear first (stock foam) and the front, with the Crawler Innovations 4.50" Lil' Nova with a soft outer.

Again, this may not look like much (and it isn't) but perfectly straight onto it, I just to get caught up on my bumper.

And the same thing here.

And why not pose a bit LOL!

I know other folk have probably done much better write ups, but so far, I'm happy with these.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Great thread, great pics and videos! I enjoyed reading all the way through. The way you love mud and water some stainless steel screws might be nice. Really nice Jerp!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Thanks a lot, glad people are still enjoying reading it
And I don't really like stainless hardware, prefer rusted natural looking bolts and screws which is why I've left the chassis rails rusted too, none of it is structural so it's nothing to worry about and adds a slight 'scaleness' to it I think.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

Got some parts from RCMart for this, my new SSD titanium steering links, I went for the bent ones because it means I can move them higher finally and also back, this should give me a very noticable clearance increase.

Clearance with the original links, they needed changing due to being beaten and a little bent too!

New links, shiny! :P

Also noticed on the last run I snapped one of the mounts of my front bumper, thankfully I did have another brand new one sat here, I decided to hack it up a little bit to make it a bit thinner and tucked in, so I had to re-locate the bumper lights to the middle instead of on the ends like it used to be.
I think I prefer it this way.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Well, boredom and a bit of spare cash later and I find myself in the land of 2.2's.
Some Proline beadlocks rims with Proline Flat Irons, never used these tyres before but they aren't ridiculously tall for 2.2's which is what I wanted to avoid and at a bargain price so I thought why not.
Bit taller and wider than my 1.9 Rok Lox, but not stupidly big.
Nice looking tread pattern and they feel nice too.
Also decided to add a snorkel.
Hopefully I'll get to try the new tyres out soon, all being well.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

My tyre rack and cones turned up, very handy for me having limited storage places, these can go out of the way and free up space on the bench... Looks neat too in my opinion!

Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Got this out today, Dad had his Scout and Ray had his Summit, we had a good 2 hour run which was good and just what I needed.
Got a few phone pictures so they aren't great but figured I'd upload them anyway
Loving the 2.2s, think I need something grippier but with the new steering links on and the better ground clearance, it's definitely an improvement, think I need to go back to a 27t motor now from this 35t for that bit extra wheelspeed/power.
May look at getting some new 2.2 steel/alloy beadlock rims and some Pitbull Growlers or maybe some Rock Beasts for extra grip and run it as a 2.2 rig.
I also lost my snorkel top, it survived some very hard landing though, but being 3D printer the top was glued in place by the maker, does anyone know of a solid single piece snorkel that would work well on my shell please?
Ideally within the UK if possible.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Mud is the best lol, I'm like a magpie!
My truck just seems to automatically find it and want to play in it... Who am I to say no :P
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

Decided to finally sort out the reason why I peppered the bonnet with stickers, I was being lazy.

Ages ago when I had my first winch, I put some tape on the inside, stupidly I put some very strong stuff on and it pulled loads of paint off.

Decided instead of re-spraying it because I had none left I'd just sticker it up.

Anyway, nothing major, but finally got round to sorting it since I had loads left over from painting the Wraith.

Currently now sat arguing with Chris from SSD about why my links don't fit, even though the ones I bought are listed for the SCX10 G6 305mm wheelbase, which mine is.

Much prefer it without loads of stickers!

Spot on advice from Chris @ SSD, problem solved!

And the pair together...

Last edited by Oh How Original; 03-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Well, my SCX10 hasn't stretched it's legs for a while and given my new found enthusiasm for filming, I thought it'd be rude not to head out and practice the filming.
Apologies for terrible driving, it's not easy to keep focused on the truck, drive, keep the camera stable etc... Especially when the suns either in your face or worse, on the camera screen so you can't follow it through there either.
But I'm learning and making progress, so I'm sure I'll improve over time.
Anyway, here's the video, please feel free to subscribe/like etc... I'm hoping my channel will expand so I would really appreciate any support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUe...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Well, I stumbled upon a folder yesterday that I totally forgot about, it's some clips of me and my Dad running the crawlers up Farleton Knott (some people may know it, in the UK) and I totally forgot to put a video together, I think originally I didn't because the quality is lacking, but we'll just overlook that, after this I reset the camera and it was much better, I thought I would upload the footage anyway!
Any comments/subscribe/likes etc... Are very welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4w...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure why this video has a border round it... My license has just expired today on my video editing software so that might be why.
Either way, here is the latest video from me, with my SCX10 at Williamson Park, my Dad driving the Scout but I didn't get very much footage due to the camera battery going flat.
Please feel free to check out my other videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCfWtvdJaUk
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

Another day out with the SCX10, this time running 3s for a change.
I definitely prefer 3s in this enviroment, quite enjoyed it actually, I'll be sticking with 3s for the time being.
RC4WD 35T motor, HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC, Ace DS 1015 servo, Castle 10a BEC, Turnigy 2200 3s 20-30C, Spektrum SR410/DX4C, just in case anyone was interested in the current electric specs.
Please feel free to subscribe/comment/like and all that good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mjo...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Bought some shiny new SSD 2.2s for this... Along with some Proline MOABs and memory foams.
The tyres seem to have good reviews and I wanted to give 2.2s another shot, now I'm running a much more torquey set up with more wheelspeed.
Hopefully the motor will take it, the ESC is also old, so if the motor blows, I may swap them both for something else.
Maybe brushless?
I like to get it wet and muddy, so maybe brushless wouldn't be the best route, if anyone could advise, I'd appreciate it...

Last edited by Oh How Original; 07-31-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Well, after a lot of miles of abuse without being fully serviced, coupled with two stripped gearbox gears after moving to 3s, I decided it was time for a complete rebuild on the SCX10.
She has run through just about everything, very hot days, rain, snow, hailstones, mud and everything in between.
She still remains my absolute favourite RC ever and as such, I have bought her a few treats.
I received the last of the parts today so cracked on.
New Axial steel gears for the new GPM tranny case, RCBearings complete bearing set, new SSD upper links, new slipper mount, fresh spur and pinion.
I also received the GCM shock relocation kit and shocks I'd been waiting for, but unfortunately, they don't fit the SCX10 axle housings, I will keep hold of them for now, because I've been toying with the idea of buying an Ascender for quite a while, I'm very interested to see how it'd run up against my SCX10, but more on that another day!
I'm currently searching for a fresh shell too, I think it's time to put this Jeep one into retirement, it's had a hard life and it'll stay on the shelf as soon as I find a replacement I like.
I destroyed one of the bearings on the inside of the knuckles (both in fact) and the outer rings of the bearings stayed in there and won't come out :(
But it's a good excuse to buy a replacement, so I have had to go back to stock plastic on the knuckles, until I can justify spending more money, rather disappointing but their is some play in these knuckles now, so they would be getting replaced soon enough, possibly with SSD Pro c hubs and knuckles or might just order the Vanquish stage one kit.

One of many destroyed bearings.

Really nice quality case, quite surprised me, bearings slotted in nice and smoothly and the finish feels good... Very promising.

Lets get the axles rebuilt.

Looking rather sorry for herself, waiting to be rebuilt lol!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

And she's done... Everything is nice and smooth now, I also decided to put a camera mount on the bonnet, I've given it a very small test in the garden and it's not too bad.

Although my shocks are set quite firm, so I might put the Icons back on from time to time because they should absorb some of the roughness.

We'll see

Also currently looking at the SSD D60 axle housings, they look quite tasty and I'm not a fan of alloy for axle housings, one scratch and they look like crap.

If anyone has an opinion on the D60s, I'd appreciate knowing what they're like?

Old 08-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

Cool Re: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Nice G6 OHO!, love mine, & enjoy the thread. As for the SSD D60 plastic axle housing, check the thread here in the wraith section, & read from p 20 till last page. You decide, ive got an SSD G6 build I'm in the process of gathering all the bits n pieces, but am holding off on the axles per the problems found in the SSD axle housing dealing with lateral slop on the input shaft bearing, their fix seems,.... rather kindergarten to me, but hey I'm aint no rocket surgeon what do I know. Good luck and keep posting, like the adventures.... Rock Farmer out-
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Farmer View Post
Nice G6 OHO!, love mine, & enjoy the thread. As for the SSD D60 plastic axle housing, check the thread here in the wraith section, & read from p 20 till last page. You decide, ive got an SSD G6 build I'm in the process of gathering all the bits n pieces, but am holding off on the axles per the problems found in the SSD axle housing dealing with lateral slop on the input shaft bearing, their fix seems,.... rather kindergarten to me, but hey I'm aint no rocket surgeon what do I know. Good luck and keep posting, like the adventures.... Rock Farmer out-
Thanks man, glad you enjoyed reading through it
Thanks for the heads up too, I've not yet ordered them, but I was tempted to, not had anyone else mention a slop issue so I'll be sure to check that thread out, thanks again for pointing it out.
I can't really see another option on the market without going alloy, which I really wanted to avoid.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

And again to be clear not bashing or nay saying SSD, love their products, just thought they'd have a more gooder solution, but in time they may. I'm still himming and hawing wether to just nut up and proceed anyhow or be frugal with the ole pocket wallet and in time hope for a V2 of the SSD axle housing! Good Luck w your readings! Time to turn the wrench!(niece's wraith is getting Boom tubes, yea!)
Rock Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM