Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

New body arrived today, very speedy service, wasn't expecting it until next week.

Started cutting tonight, a nice little touch is that the dashboard is separate, so a bit easier to actually detail, not that it will be super detailed, but I do want to try and get it to look neat.

I do plan on getting a figure as a driver too.

Really really like this body, it's the Proline 1966 Ford Bronco.

Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #122
Rock Crawler

Shell is all cut out and mounted, I really like that separate dash... Knowing my luck it will look terrible when it's all fitted, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

I'm also unsure if maybe I need to pull the front axle back a touch, I already have taken about 3mm off it, but maybe another 3-5 is needed just so the tyres 'tuck' a bit better, I'm unsure yet though.

Sadly, my wheel wells I made for the Jeep don't fit on the Bronco, they're too wide on the front and not big enough on the rear, so I guess I will have to make some more at some point.

Need to order some more paint and liquid mask, the 'design' isn't terribly difficult, but I think liquid mask will still work better, for cutting out the lights and stuff, I hopefully want to have a light kit in the shell itself, as well as a separate lightbar, which I can hopefully use independantly of each other, but we'll see on that one!

It feels weird seeing the SCX10 without the Jeep body!!

I'd also forgotten about much scrap is left over from a body... Enough there for another body!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

I'd forgotten how high this stuff makes you LOL!
What do we think so far of the Bronco, yay or nay over the Jeep? Ignoring brand and purely on looks.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

You need to use the new trail cage that proline makes for the bronco.
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

I love the Bronco, but I tend to like Fords. Well all trucks, and cars, not Jeeps. Nah I like Jeeps too... Esp those fake ones...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #126
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchman View Post
You need to use the new trail cage that proline makes for the bronco.
I was aware of it, but wanted to avoid it, because of the holes in the top for their own rack, which I won't ever be using.
I'm in two minds because I don't want to re-use my current one, I've decided it's a bit butchered, but I can't find the Axial pieces in stock in the UK either, so I might have to resort to the Proline one and just live with those holes in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I love the Bronco, but I tend to like Fords. Well all trucks, and cars, not Jeeps. Nah I like Jeeps too... Esp those fake ones...
I like any make, as long as it makes a good vehicle
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #127
Quarry Creeper

A guy here where I live filled the holes with body putty, sanded everything smooth, then painted the cage with spry on truck bed liner. It looks great. Hope this helps.

Wayne
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #128
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchman View Post
A guy here where I live filled the holes with body putty, sanded everything smooth, then painted the cage with spry on truck bed liner. It looks great. Hope this helps.

Wayne
That's actually a pretty good idea.
I like the idea of having a silver cage, sort of metal effect, so if I get totally stuck, I will do that.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Well I have pretty much screwed up the paint job.
But I have ordered the Proline Ridgeline cage for this anyway, I might end up ordering another body for it then send it away to be painted like I was going to.
My initial plan couldn't happen from painting on the inside because it wasn't accessible to get a blade in or fingers to cut the liquid mask, so I pulled it all off to paint the outside and the design was a bit of a spur of the moment thing and it hasn't come out how I wanted.
Plus some of the paint bled a little due to a new type of masking, so I'm pretty annoyed at myself overall with it.
I might continue to finish it though, see if a few stickers or something might help, plus the dash needs to go in yet and the new cage.
We will see though.
Still haven't got a bumper and/or new winch sorted either.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #130
Rock Crawler

Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #131
Rock Crawler

The main part of the paint is now done.
Long story short for those who don't know, I didn't want it like this originally, but couldn't do the design on the inside I wanted and kinda ruined it trying, so I was forced to paint the outside.
Trying to be creative I have opted for a lightly weathered look in certain places.
So here's the update of where I am up to so far with it.
I would really value any feedback on this as I go along, because this is my first time create 'fake' weathering, I usually do it a slightly different way for a more authentic feel, but this one will be a bit different to my usual take on weathering.
I have also decided for one reason and another to take the winch off, the Tough Armour bumper I had my winch on with my Jeep body was fine, but this one sits slightly further forward to line the arches up, so it doesn't work with the new bumper as it was modified and sits closer to the chassis and can't be moved further out.
The SSD bumper I also have and wanted to use doesn't work with the winch I had, so either way it was going to end up costing me quite a lot to get everything working, which after how much this body has cost in total with the new cage and everything, I just didn't really want to spend, because it would require the RC4WD 8274 winch which is a lot of money in the UK, just for the sake of winching a little bit, so far now, the winching idea is on hold and I will just have some tow straps when we go out for keeping it 'realistic' in pulling each other out of the mud.
So that's where I am up to so far, feel free to let me know what you think, good and bad

Base layer on and done.

Added the black bits.

Read for the white grill.

Got all the lighting soldered up.

Some reading material for my driver and passenger, when I finally find some that fit, bought four figures and none of them it properly! :(
The Left magazine, is actually the June 1966 cover I had specially made to match the year this Bronco body was made from.

Stuck the wiring down properly with some Plastidip, then a quick covering of some black to 'back' the body a bit and also try to camoflauge the wiring better.

Wasn't sure if to do this or not, but decided to in the end because it would act as a good test base for some weathering.

And some progress on the start of my attempt at weathering, just waiting for some fresh paints to arrive then I can do more.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #132
Rock Crawler

Received and built the Pro-line Ridgeline cage for the SCX10.

Rather like it, thought I'd dislike it without a windscreen, but actually I like the more open 'raw' look.

Unsure if I now like these tyres with this though, so might have to try and find something a bit smaller, but don't really want to compromise the awesome performance just for looks.

We'll see how that goes.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Those tires fit the look of the rig. That color scheme is fantastic, and the body looks great.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #134
Rock Crawler

Turned out fantastic.Ive been eyeballing that body myself.Pretty expensive after you buy the cage for it too.Plus paint.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Those tires fit the look of the rig. That color scheme is fantastic, and the body looks great.
Thanks yeah I'm still unsure.
I think once the paint work is finished and the bumper is on and the inner wheel wells are in I will make a decision because I think those things added together will make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Turned out fantastic.Ive been eyeballing that body myself.Pretty expensive after you buy the cage for it too.Plus paint.
Yep, even worse for me in the UK (assuming you are not)
Over there it'd probably cost around $100 to complete all together.
For me it's been around £120, which is about $180.
A small part of me wishes I had just put that money towards a new Bomber kit lol, but not a lot I can do now.
My original Jeep body lasted over 3 years of pretty hard use, so I am justifying it as that cost every 3 years
Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Received and built the Pro-line Ridgeline cage for the SCX10.

Rather like it, thought I'd dislike it without a windscreen, but actually I like the more open 'raw' look.

Unsure if I now like these tyres with this though, so might have to try and find something a bit smaller, but don't really want to compromise the awesome performance just for looks.

We'll see how that goes.

The tires look great OHO
Nice paintjob, much more to do? Subbed anyway just in case...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #137
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
The tires look great OHO
Nice paintjob, much more to do? Subbed anyway just in case...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes, quite a bit, I need to make the chains for the bodyclips, like my old set up, I wasn't sure if to use the Proline thumb screws or body clips, but I think I'll go with body clips to start with, I can always change it later if I don't like the look.
I need to find a driver, after buying 4 figures and none quite fit right, I didn't realise how small the footwell was, so there feet don't fit properly and I can't just chop them because it's all exposed
I need a re-think.
Some other bits and pieces I also want to do, I got the Vanquish JK lightbar brackets today and the damn things don't work with this cage, nor do they work with the SCX10 original cage, so no idea what they are designed for but it said SCX10

Started making rust!
In the end I opted to just use some Tamiya paint and patience, rather than a 'rusting kit' that are ever popular.
A good excuse to get some fresh Tamiya paints, brushes and tape *

Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #138
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersen72 View Post
Really nice
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Wow for supposedly screwing up the paint originally you sure turned that around quick looks amazing! Generally i cant stand lexan bodies but you have my attention with the non lexan looking progress going down here!
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #140
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Wow for supposedly screwing up the paint originally you sure turned that around quick looks amazing! Generally i cant stand lexan bodies but you have my attention with the non lexan looking progress going down here!
Thanks man... I was so close to throwing the thing in the bin and starting again on a new one, but a few people commented on another forum saying they wanted to see it done, so it kinda encouraged me to continue on with it and I'm glad I did.
Thanks for the positive words

OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM