Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #201
RCC Addict

Default Re: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

Great build, looking forward to an update.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #202
RCC Addict

This truck is still going strong. It is a ton of fun and I love the longer wheelbase on the trails.

For an update I added a cheap roof light. I have less than $5 in this light setup and I am very happy with how bright it is. There are better lights out there for sure, both in appearance and performance but this one works well for this project.

To start with I had ordered a pair of these lights from a site called Wish for $2 shipped for the pair. They are meant to be used on cars in the air dam to make it look like it has high end led driving lights. They run on 12volts so will only work on a 3S battery, a 2S won't even make them turn on, 4S would probably burn them up.

I was able to gently bend it so it was curved to match the roof line of the cab. Made a mount out of some styrene and bits from the Axial parts bag. Used a set of servo mounts and light bar mounts from the bag. Painted it all with a coating of bed liner paint. Here is the finished product.

I mounted a switch behind the cab on top of the tool box. It is tucked up out of the way and blends in well enough here. From here the wires go to a Y plug on the batt connector on the speed controller so it always gets full 3S power.

How bright is it? Seems bright enough.

I am happy with this light, next up is to just keep driving the truck and eventually add a set of rock lights to the front.

Thanks for looking. Until next time, happy RCing!
-Prime-
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #203
Quarry Creeper

VERY nice truck and fantastic thread.

My old Ford honcho truggy body had seen its last season. I was torn between a full truck body similar to yours, a 80s Ford Bronco, or a 50s-60s truck body. This nearly steers me toward the newer Ford truck body.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #204
RCC Addict

Thank you. I was hesitant to go full body but after I did I am really happy with the outcome. I am loving the longer wheelbase.

I have a set of lights I am going to add to the front wheel wells to act as rock lights, hope to get them installed in the next couple of days.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #205
Quarry Creeper

A guy I've crawled with a couple times gave me his tips for building lightbars and rock lights. For the rock lights, he uses aluminum 1/2" c-channel from the hardware store. He cuts the length to fit between the mounting studs of the sliders leaving a tab on each end to bolt between the slider mount studs and the chassis rail. The opening of the c-channel faces down. Then, insert a 2" strip of "super bright 5630 leds". You can order 5m lengths of those on ebay for $10ish (search for what's in the quotes). You can run them on 3s and they are ridiculous! The lightbars that run the full width of 1:10 scale are bright enough to light up the trail like daylight for 30+ feet!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #206
Pebble Pounder

I bought my daughter a complete deadbolt roller last night for Christmas and I found your thread this morning while searching for ideas. ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR DEADBOLT! Your build has given me tons of ideas and it's on the cheap
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #207
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
I bought my daughter a complete deadbolt roller last night for Christmas and I found your thread this morning while searching for ideas. ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR DEADBOLT! Your build has given me tons of ideas and it's on the cheap

Thank you. I'm sure your daughter will have a blast with it. I built a SCX last spring for my daughter and she has had a ball with it.
That has always been the point of this build, to have a fun truck with just a small fortune invested in it.
There is still more to come for this truck, just with all the other projects going on they are just happening slower now than before.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #208

Fantastic sir! I just finished reading all of this and i have learned so much. Im only a couple of weeks into crawling so i still have tons to learn. Heck im almost ready to just sell off my traxxas trucks and leave the bashing alone. Lol. I do have a question for you though. How exactly do you make the links out of the brake lines? What kind of special tools do you need?
Summitbasher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitbasher90 View Post
Fantastic sir! I just finished reading all of this and i have learned so much. Im only a couple of weeks into crawling so i still have tons to learn. Heck im almost ready to just sell off my traxxas trucks and leave the bashing alone. Lol. I do have a question for you though. How exactly do you make the links out of the brake lines? What kind of special tools do you need?
I'd keep the fast trucks, sometimes there is a need for speed. That is why I still have my SC trucks and an E-Revo.

Far as for links, the only special tools I use is a cut off wheel and a tape measure. They are really easy to make, cut your threaded rod to the length you need, thread it into the ends, measure the distance between endlinks, transfer that distance to your brake line to make the sleeve, cut brake line and install on link then good to go.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #210
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I'd keep the fast trucks, sometimes there is a need for speed. That is why I still have my SC trucks and an E-Revo.
I second that. I have an equal number of speed/bash RC's, and I sort of go through phases. I'll be heavy into scalers, but then get a little burned out and switch over to bashing. It's fun to pull that throttle and rip it, sometimes.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #211

Oh so there is a peice of all thread inside the brake line. I missed that. I thought you cut amd threaded the brake line itself! stupid me. Lol. Thanks for the advice.
Summitbasher90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #212
RCC Addict

No problem, good luck with your links!

Tags
deadbolt, scx10 deadbolt

Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCG deadbolt crawler project 1JEEPNICK1 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 9 02-10-2015 05:18 PM
Deadbolt aka project joker BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 2 11-25-2014 11:48 AM
I think I'll call it project aggression... Blue buggy Axial Wraith 6 05-08-2014 02:40 PM
The i'm not sure what to call it project. motoxkfx 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 08-30-2013 07:58 AM
Start of my project bluto 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 04-02-2008 08:59 PM