Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt

Those f1 spools from locked up rc are awesome!
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #142
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Those f1 spools from locked up rc are awesome!
Yes, yes they are. The fit is nice and tight and the machine work is top notch. Have you seen their new OTVDs? I am going to have a set of those in the ol' Deadbolt in the next month or two .
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

No but I'll check them out I just won a set of 8 degree knuckles and chubs from them and am going to get a set of there universals to go with them. These will be tested to the inth degree there going in my son's scx10 comp rig. He's 5 and hard on stuff. I've never had any problems with there products tho so I'm sure there awesome. I'd run them but I just had bmachinerc make my front axle with xr10 mod and shorten the xr10 universals up.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #144
RCC Addict

Quote:
No but I'll check them out I just won a set of 8 degree knuckles and chubs from them and am going to get a set of there universals to go with them. These will be tested to the inth degree there going in my son's scx10 comp rig. He's 5 and hard on stuff. I've never had any problems with there products tho so I'm sure there awesome. I'd run them but I just had bmachinerc make my front axle with xr10 mod and shorten the xr10 universals up.
I saw that, congrats!! I was the other winner of a set of those. Once they get here they will find a home on my Deadbolt.

We have an update to the Deadbolt. Lookie what came in the mail...

Needed a new servo for this comp season since the TSX45 is getting a bit tired so I picked up a Holmes Hobbies BLS HV500 and RX bypass. @8.4 volts it has 500oz of torque!!!

Looks right at home and happy tucked up in those CC frame rails.

Just playing with it around the house all I can say is OH MY GOD!! It is powerful and very very fast. I have a big event in two weeks, I can not wait to give this servo a work out. I am confident it will please me. It maybe a bit overkill but that just adds to the fun.

Well that's it for now. Next up will be adding the Locked Up c-hubs and knuckles I won in the first week of TNTD competition give-a-way. If you haven't seen it yet, make sure you check it out.

More to come,
Prime

Last edited by Prime; 04-26-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Sorry about missing that. I think you will love the Holmes Hobbies Servo,and no its just enough Servo. Hehe.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #146

Great thread! Question for you, how have the brake line and all thread links held up for you? Have you had to make new ones?

edit: The brake line I'm finding is either nickel/copper or steel coated. It appears you are using the nickel stuff and then painting it black. Why not start with the coated line that's already black?

Last edited by Hinecken; 04-28-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Hinecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #147
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinecken View Post
Great thread! Question for you, how have the brake line and all thread links held up for you? Have you had to make new ones?

edit: The brake line I'm finding is either nickel/copper or steel coated. It appears you are using the nickel stuff and then painting it black. Why not start with the coated line that's already black?
Thank you.

They are holding up great. I have been using this method for over 10 years now and has always worked great for me.

I do not use the already black line because I also do tube work from time to time and you can not use the coated line when brazing because the coating can be toxic when heat is applied.

hope I answered your questions. If you have anymore please feel free to ask.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #148
RCC Addict

Small update. I have a big scale/trail team comp coming up this weekend and the course is over a mile long. Since I am running the Mamba Micro X I am a little concerned about heat due to it's small size and heat sink. I have taken it on a couple of trail runs that have lasted over an hour with out any problems but don't want to take a chance in a team comp. So I have added a fan to it.

I had the motor fan from a Castle SCT left over from my Pro-2 so I modified the mount to fit the Micro. I cut off one side of the mount and mounted it using a piece of servo tape to the side of the ESC and a zip tie for safety/piece of mind. As you can tell from the pictures it actually fits pretty well.

So far it seems to work pretty good. Not really an exciting update but atleast it is something lol.
Thanks for looking,
Prime
Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

You will probably be fine. I've ran my bmini for 2 miles in my shafty without any issues.

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #150
RCC Addict

Yeah, you are probably right but don't want to chance it. If it was an individual run I wouldn't be as concerned but since it is a blind draw team event I don't want to let my guys down. Plus with all the rain we have had I am sure there will be plenty of mud so I figure the truck will have to work extra hard at points.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Very true

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #152
RCC Addict

Cool little update. The "extra" helmet I had on my Deadbolt was an extra that came with it. I now have a matching helmet in case my driver gets lucky and picks up a passenger. I painted it with finger nail polish so it matches the driver's helmet.

I got this helmet from my wife. She decided she had to have a SCX10 as well and used some Tower Cash we had acquired and a coupon to get herself a Deadbolt for a steal of a deal. Her helmets are painted purple. Not sure what mods she has planned. So far she had only moved the battery to the front and has just been driving it. She has mentioned wanting a winch and rear bumper though.

Thanks for looking. Not sure what will be next so stay tuned!!
-Prime-
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #153
RCC Addict

Took my Deadbolt on it's first team trail comp. last Saturday (the 7th) and it was a blast!! The teams were blind draw and I got a pretty good draw. It took us two hours and forty minutes to finish the course. I made it all the way to the last 3 gates before I had to change the battery. Guess it means I need a bigger battery. ;)

Anyways, here are some pics from the event.

Some of the trucks. You can see Cheapbolt in the background.

About to lead my team mates out of the start gate. (The wraith and the other Deadbolt)

Trail pics!

The Scorpios did excellent on every type of terrain they encountered!!

I did the tractor pull for my team and did pretty good. I think the pull might have cost me a drive shaft though. The truck started "clicking" at the end of the pull and the front shaft has some extra play in it. I made 4 out of 5 flags, only one truck made all 5 and it was on a Holmes 13T and on 6S! (though he did smoke the motor)

I am working on a video of the trail/comp run. Will post it once finished.
Thanks for looking.
-Prime-

Last edited by Prime; 05-12-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

How do you like the jconcepts after the comp? I hit up a few of your videos nice work. Did you keep the stock foams or update to ci foams

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #155
RCC Addict

Quote:
How do you like the jconcepts after the comp? I hit up a few of your videos nice work. Did you keep the stock foams or update to ci foams

149 r/c worx team driver
I am so in love with these tires, they stuck to almost everything I threw the truck at. The only thing they seem to have a problem with is dry logs. Anytime I had a problem crossing a obstacle it was either driver error and/or my trucks low belly. I also realized I need more weight down low and out by the wheels. Been looking into some Beef Patties, thinking I need a set of those.
The stock foams are ok but are rather soft, can really tell it while side hilling. I am still running the stockers for now but I will be upgrading them in the future.
Thank you for the kind words on the videos. I enjoy making them and figured what the heck, as long as I am having fun lets keep making them. lol

Last edited by Prime; 05-18-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Me and my son use the same wheels and the patties fit with a bit of dremmel work, they seem to help.

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #157
RCC Addict

Quote:
Me and my son use the same wheels and the patties fit with a bit of dremmel work, they seem to help.
Good to know. Thanks!

As I mentioned before I won a set of the LockedUp RC Clockable Hubs and High Clearance Knuckles from their New Team Driver giveaway.
They are so pretty.

Sadly I ran into a slight problem. The hubs fit perfect but on my set up the knuckle's steering arm rubs my tire pretty hard so I had to stick with my RPM knuckles. It's no fault of LURC, if I had a bit more back spacing or a larger rim they would fit perfect. While on the subject of perfect fit, the RPM hubs fit perfect with no slop at all on these hubs!!

Very happy with these and love the fact they are clockable.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #158

I have really enjoyed your build so far. Its amazing how far someone can take one of these on the cheap. One question though whose light bar are you using or did you make it? I have the G6 body which uses the same cage and I would like to go to the COB style light bar.
jdnoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Sadly I ran into a slight problem. The hubs fit perfect but on my set up the knuckle's steering arm rubs my tire pretty hard so I had to stick with my RPM knuckles. It's no fault of LURC, if I had a bit more back spacing or a larger rim they would fit perfect.
It is the unfortunate side effect of the 0 ackerman design (like Vanquish knuckles), switching over to 475 SLW hubs should fix the rubbing issue. You will gain some track width but getting to use those sweet knuckles is worth it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #160
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
It is the unfortunate side effect of the 0 ackerman design (like Vanquish knuckles), switching over to 475 SLW hubs should fix the rubbing issue. You will gain some track width but getting to use those sweet knuckles is worth it.
That is the plan in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoss View Post
I have really enjoyed your build so far. Its amazing how far someone can take one of these on the cheap. One question though whose light bar are you using or did you make it? I have the G6 body which uses the same cage and I would like to go to the COB style light bar.
Thank you. This has been one of the most fun builds I have ever had. Love this little truck.

I am embarrassed to say I forgot to post up about the light. I meant to but was waiting to get some night shots and just forgot to get them. Any way here are the pics the lights being added.

I got the light bar, with out mount, off eBay from a seller by the name of TooManyRCs (I believe they are a vendor on here as well). Here is the light bar as I received it.

The bar came without mounts but came with 3M sticky tape on it. So I started by making a mount out of plastic card that would use the stock DB mounting points.

On the back I used some extras from the Axial parts bag to make the mounts.

The light in place.

Test mounted.

Painted and mounted up.

Here you can see the whole truck and if you look closely you can see that the grill is a bit different and it now sports headlights!!

I remade the grill and added a pair of light buckets from the old light bar. So now the truck has marker lamps and headlights to go with the over head light.

The inner piece that supports/mounts the headlights.

I'll try to get some night pics soon.
Thank you for looking.
-Prime-

`

Tags
deadbolt, scx10 deadbolt

Start of a new Deadbolt project. Lets call it Project: Cheapbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCG deadbolt crawler project 1JEEPNICK1 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 9 02-10-2015 05:18 PM
Deadbolt aka project joker BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 2 11-25-2014 11:48 AM
I think I'll call it project aggression... Blue buggy Axial Wraith 6 05-08-2014 02:40 PM
The i'm not sure what to call it project. motoxkfx 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 08-30-2013 07:58 AM
Start of my project bluto 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 04-02-2008 08:59 PM