Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 king shocks 110mm side by side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scx10 king shocks 110mm side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Axial has the dual springs for their SCX10 shocks, they came with the Dingo kit, were included with some of the RtR's and can be purchased as an option. Removing or cutting the shock bumper yields up to 3mm more travel than the 100mm King shocks and the AX30117 bodies really help smooth them out and seal better. The shock bumper is just over 9mm long and restricts travel a lot.

With the longer King shocks you're getting more drop from your axles and more articulation. However, you can get the same amount of drop/articulation with a lift kit and the stock Axial shocks. Just mount the SCX10 shocks lower on the lift/lower brackets and cut or remove the shock bumper. If replacing the bumper with the 1/8" O-ring you get right at 30mm travel from the stock SCX10 shocks.
This is true....the stock 90mm shocks will give 30mm of travel after removing the rubber bump stops. They also leak like a sieve and don't look nearly as shiny as the King Shocks 8-). The 100mm shocks give a better geometry when using the shock mounting brackets like Gear Head. You can lean them farther inboard while maintaining stock ride height giving more ability to tune the suspension for the weight of your rig.
(redbeard) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #22
I joined the Band!

The King shocks are not exactly known for being well sealed themselves, but a lot of people like the way they look so there's no reason for the manufacture to improve component quality or design. With a bright finish, scale appearance and the King logo, they sell well enough.

Both the stock SCX10 and Wraith shocks are greatly improved with the aluminum bodies mentioned earlier (Axial and/or aftermarket). SCX10 stockers will also benefit from the various relocation kits, lift/lower/droop kits and shock tower/mounts/hoops available. With the optional bodies they seal better, are much smoother and free of binding. The suspension travel/articulation is there since both (90mm SCX10 and 100mm King) have the same 30mm shock travel. You're not getting more tuning options with a shock that's simply 10mm longer in body length. You can add 10-12mm more length to the Axial shocks using Traxxas or RPM 26-28mm long rod ends (short Axial ends are 16-17mm long). That's if you have trouble mounting 90mm shocks.

So for about $20 in Axial optional shock bodies ($10/pair, or $12/pair for STRC and Icon) and $10 in rod ends we've got 100-102mm shocks with 7mm bores, 30mm of travel, fake reservoirs, dual/single spring options and titanium nitride shafts. As an added bonus, the Axial 90mm shocks can use Team Associated front truck springs (spring kit #1580) for six additional spring rates.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #23

I had lots and LOTS of time this weekend to play side by side with my stock SCX10... a Couple of notes running the 110mm kings.

I have settled on a soft spring set up in the front and a Medium in the rear and I removed the Lift/droop kit.

When I took a longer stroke shock, moved it up (droop) and on an angle. I would net more travel for sure, but the issue I ran into was simple clearance to the Body. when I moved the body up 2 notches the rig worked awesome, but tended to roll over more due to an increase height in CG.

So I have settled on placing the king 110mm shocks in the factory spot, setting the body as low as possible, and having a bit of limited up travel with LOTS of droop.

This set up provided better climbing from a 7mm suspension lift over all and much more articulation. I used to let the frame limit the up travel, but now I let the shock limit the up travel and I don't rub the body as bad.

I think the net difference in the CG is ok, but lowering the body and raising the rest of the stuff im probably at the same point, but the slight lift has given more capability to the rig.

now I just need to limit droop at the diff to keep shafts from binding..
chitown4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #24

I set my 1 to 1 JK up the same way. 11 inch Kings with 4 up and 7 down. Worked great in the rocks. Not so well going fast.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gunner1; 01-19-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 king shocks 110mm side by side - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline Super Swamper 1.9 Side by Side Comparison neillarson Tires and Wheels 26 08-17-2010 07:56 PM
RC4WD Lox & Crawler Tire Pictures Side By Side stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 07-27-2010 07:34 PM
Traxxas Slash & Losi Desert Truck Side by Side RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 26 06-24-2008 03:32 AM