Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Crawling Newbie - 2012 Jeep Wrangler C/R Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #1

Default Crawling Newbie - 2012 Jeep Wrangler C/R Edition

Just pulled my first Crawler (SCX10 Wrangler C/R Edition) out of the box last night, soldered on a deans to the esc, and drove it in my underground parkade for 10 min. That's how noob I am. I am fairly experienced with RC (have a heavily modified Savage Flux, and several on-road), so I can't say I'm an idiot. Just new to the crawling world.

That being said, I've already decided to move the battery up front, and ordered the Aluminum link Kit (AX30550).

I'm looking for some advice on a few things I plan on doing to it in the future...

Rear Steering:
I would like to make it 4ws, and I understand that I would need cvds, c-hubs, and Axle hubs, and obviously the steering linkages. Am I missing anything else? A parts list would be fantastic!

Radio Box:
I'd like to have the battery (Front mount) lower to help drop the CoG, but I can see the radio box is in the way. Is there a way to move it to the other side of the transmission, where the stock location of the battery tray is? Any links to how this is done?

Chassis Mounted Servo:
I've seen lots of people talking about CMS brackets and such. What is the benefit of doing this? Are there any drawbacks? What is panhard? Is there a glossary of Crawler Terms I should look at so I don't sound like an idiot? I'm more interested in crawling ability than realistic appearance. Some say Axle mounted servos are better for performance.

Winch Kit:
I thought it might be amusing to get a Winch Kit for it. What should I be looking for when it comes to winches? I have no experience with them.

I already have a 4 channel Tx (Sanwa MT4), so I can run a motor, 2 servos, and a Winch when I buy a new Rx for it. The Sanwa has an Aux lever on the thumb I can use for the rear steering.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
SeeGee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

Default Re: Crawling Newbie - 2012 Jeep Wrangler C/R Edition

Ok. Been a while, but there's new developments!

I swapped out the links with the axial rods. The upper front links need a few more mm in length, as it's causing the MIP driveshaft to rub (more on that later)

Installed the hubs and blocks on Rear Axle, installed cvds, and filled the axle with marine grease for waterproofing. Axial Aluminum Steering links front and rear. Still waiting for the HiTec waterproof servos. Maybe next Monday.

I tried using the thumb lever for rear steering, but it was a little unwieldy, so I used the 4-wheel steering mix setting on the Sanwa mt4, and assigned a trim switch to cycle between front, rear, crab, and 4ws. Works very well.

Lifted the electronics box up above the height of the wheels and placed it in the rear where the battery used to be.

Installed mip driveshafts. Was rubbing the spur gear cover, so I removed it. (can't use it if I mirror the transmission anyhow) but I am running into a small issue where the shaft is at full lock on the front axle, almost binding. I believe that I can fix this problem by lengthening the upper links on the front by 3-5mm, causing the axle to rotate forward a couple of degrees.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGee911 View Post
Ok. Been a while, but there's new developments!

I swapped out the links with the axial rods. The upper front links need a few more mm in length, as it's causing the MIP driveshaft to rub (more on that later)

Installed the hubs and blocks on Rear Axle, installed cvds, and filled the axle with marine grease for waterproofing. Axial Aluminum Steering links front and rear. Still waiting for the HiTec waterproof servos. Maybe next Monday.

I tried using the thumb lever for rear steering, but it was a little unwieldy, so I used the 4-wheel steering mix setting on the Sanwa mt4, and assigned a trim switch to cycle between front, rear, crab, and 4ws. Works very well.

Lifted the electronics box up above the height of the wheels and placed it in the rear where the battery used to be.

Installed mip driveshafts. Was rubbing the spur gear cover, so I removed it. (can't use it if I mirror the transmission anyhow) but I am running into a small issue where the shaft is at full lock on the front axle, almost binding. I believe that I can fix this problem by lengthening the upper links on the front by 3-5mm, causing the axle to rotate forward a couple of degrees.
well that's a trip in solving the issues you face.. on mine I didn't do the 4 wheel steering thing
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

A lot of guys are packing marine grease in everything to keep water out. And for cheep lights you can pick up 12v automotive led strips and run them off a 9v. Also a servo hack to turn your lights off and on from you transmitter. I set the lights up on my wraith for under lighting and it's awesome for night crawling.
Gearjunkie.adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

I just ordered urathane conforming coating. It's clear made to cover chip boards and it's the same thing that is used to cover the sidwinder and other waterproof electronics. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gearjunkie.adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #6

I have a giant tub of it, and it's cheap. So we'll try it. :shrug:
Ultimately I'd like to switch to Holmes Hobbies waterproof electronics. I've got a trick up my sleeve for the lighting, but we'll have to deal with that later.

Crawling Newbie - 2012 Jeep Wrangler C/R Edition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Rebel Off-Road" Edition ANUFSED Axial SCX-10 3 03-02-2015 02:53 PM
Axial Jeep Wrangler C/R Edition GIVEAWAY!!! jason General Crawlers 544 07-02-2014 10:20 PM