Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Mud Demon...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Cool The Mud Demon...

I am doing a complete overkill build once again lol. After selling Lucifer 2.2 KOH tig welded powder coated chassis made by the great Jerry Justice of the DMG...felt like getting involved again.

So instead of using old junk parts laying around, a lot of new parts were ordered from chassis, suspension, linkages, bearings, stainless steel hardware, etc....not to mention a pair of VP Wraith Curries with matching Stage 1 kit.

-GCM Cross Canyon Chassis with their awesome T case and front Axial tranny motor setup.
-New Bright JK currently in primer phase both interior and exterior, but will be converted to a JK Brute and eventually going to be armored up by my good friend Phillip Hepp at Scale Ready!
-Rebuilt Robinson loaded Axial tranny with new TFE bearings and HR Aluminum Housing with 32p conversion and SuperShafty's FOFF Motor Plate...don't know if I'll be needing SuperShaftys's top shaft yet to run a Robinson Gen3 Steel Spur but testing with plastic first.
-56T Duratrax Spur (testing for now)/13T Robinson steel pinion
-VP Wraith Curries in Gray and VP Stage 1 Kit in Gray
-HR SHD Lockers Front/Rear
-Axial Upgraded HD Spiral Cut 38T/13T Stock Ratio Ring and Pinion Front/Rear
-Brand new TFE bearings
-New stock Axial scx10 narrow hexes and pins
-Blue Monkey RC full titanium links (still tweaking lengths and angles)
-SSD black steel 2.2 BL's
-RC4WD 2.2 Mud Bashers 6.0" tall...
-VP 600 SLW's Front/Rear
-MIP shafts
-Losi 4" Big Bores OG
-Castle BEC @ 6.2V
-Savox SW-1210SG coreless waterproof servo w/ Robi horn
-Holmes TrailMaster BLE PRO Brushless Sensored ESC Waterproofed
-Holmes TrailMaster 3300kv Sensored Brushless Waterproofed Motor on 3s

To run the tall 2.2 Mud Bashers it only looked scale using Wraith width axles...the scx10 setup had to go....

Well onto the pics....the tire pics was when I was deciding between a 1.9 Vaterra Race Claw with CI closed cells, 2.2 HPI Mud Thrashers on stock Wheely King black chrome wheels, and third of course the rc4wd 2.2 Mud Bashers with CI closed cells on SSD 10 hole black beadlocks.

I also like the rc4wd tire because it's the tallest and narrowest to get through the mud the quickest with that brushless 3300kv TrailMaster motor on 3s.

Onto the first pics:

Body has been ordered and on its way! It was a close tie between an extended Clodbuster or a Tamiya F-250 High Lift body set. But I already built up 3 Tamiya Tundra High Lift body sets, 1 Tamiya Hilux High Lift body set, 1 Tamiya Sand Scorcher body set, and 1 rc4wd Mojave body set.

Last edited by alexchen86; 06-25-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Full on revamp and budget now gone out the window!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Mud Demon...

Looks awesome! I have to get a set of those mud basher tires!
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

They are much taller than I expected!! Nothing like a AG farm tractor tire that the rc4wd website shows! They really should have tire size and height comparison pics. The taller lugs on them make the tire actually a tad taller than my 2.2 Pitbull Rock Beast II's stuffed with CI DD 6.0" foams!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Perfect! I have a spare chassis laying around that needs a clod body and a set of them! I want to build a mega truck.
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well so far I've been playing around with figuring how to mount the New Bright JK body i picked up and an easy sand a couple of once overs in dark OD green with black fenders then shooting the whole body with matte clear.

Turned out pretty well. I've heard of people using matte clear on lexan bodies and ABS plastic so gave it a shot....headlight and taillight buckets are off some cheapo 99 cent store mini flash lights..

Also figuring out how to angle the Jevene Racing CMS/battery tray. It looks awesome and fits well but the tray is too long and will hit the MIP shaft coming off the Wraith tranny. I ordered up an HR ax10 aluminum tranny otw in the meantime.

As far as wheelbase goes I think I need to figure out how to extend the rear 4 link setup that way I don't mess with the suspension geometry. The JK is 13" hope my MIPs were the ones that can reach that far!!

Next step is some sort of velcro or hinged mounting system for the body with easy access and wiring up my Holmes sensored brushless setup and scaling the body out! Oh and I went with SLW 600's for the hubs as I didn't want too wide of a stance with such narrow tires....
Old 04-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

So last night got a good amount done in an hour. Rebuilt both axles cleaned the old grease put new Team Associated grease in, changed all bearings that needed servicing. Had to flip the tranny around because the MIP shaft would hit the back of the battery plate.

Connected the rear uppers....still need adjustment along with the rear lowers to get the right wheelbase and pinion angle.

Swapped out the front end drag link for a scale rc4wd stabilizer bar.

Programmed the new BRXL Trailmaster BLE PRO ESC and hooked it up the the Trailmaster 3300kv sensored BL motor. GOBS OF TORQUE AND SPEED WOW!

Ordered up a set of SLW 600's for the SSD black steelies.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Little inspiration, this is a redcat crawler based though

aftershock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What Jevene Racing CMS/battery is that? I did not see one with 2 servo spots on their website.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarider View Post
What Jevene Racing CMS/battery is that? I did not see one with 2 servo spots on their website.
I think it is their newest release out. I got it at RPP he only had 2-3 left at the time.

Well here's more pics I did some more body work smoothing things out and removing the interior to paint.

I am leaning to do a sweet two tone paint job like a 1:1 look not too crazy but maybe aluminum and black with diamond plated polished aluminum accents and floor boards.

Or just spray it black and match the truck.....eh I'd rather have more fun painting and I already scuffed it up pretty well and have gauges all ready to Shoe Goo on!

Pics from today:

Seems like the 14" wb might be an issue...the tranny should be able to clear most of the interior. But the rear driveshaft maybe an issue.

I just ordered the 6mm SuperShafty outputs to see if those should work.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This build is actually my first build where I am using as many leftover spare parts I have on hand since most of them have been built to near bulletproof specs....also my first build without ever looking at any 1:1 rig.

So it's pretty much a junkyard dog build throwing on spare stuff and just a 2.2 have fun rig! I am almost tempted to do 1.9 based on the scale look because those 2.2 Mud Bashers are just a PITA on how tall they are and might not be the tire/CI foam setup I plan to run.

Back ups: 4x Vaterra Race Claws with 1.9 closed cells mounted on cheapy touring car wheels from China. LOL.

Today's updates when I threw on the rear end for the Dinky rc canti suspension courtesy of CKRC!!

Slowly but surely....it will come together.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have one of the cantilever sets sold by Dinky as well...
But IMO it does lessen the articulation some.

I would only use mine if installing a drop bed.
Would be counter productive otherwise. LIMO

I bought mine to install with a Mojave body... impulse buy
haven't got around to installing that body... sooo
both are still sitting in a box (nip) on a shelf collecting dust.

maybe one of these days I'll get busy with it.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yes it does limit articulation I agree, but this is just the beginning phase of figuring out how to mount the humongous 14" wheelbase NewBright JK body without cutting into the interior so that I could sell it as an intact body set later. This is the second hard body scx10 chassis rig I've done, but the first one was a breeze using a complete Tamiya Highlift Tundra body set, all I had to do was fab up a simple Velcro mount under the hood and two tiny posts flush with the stock level of the rear stock bed. Hid pretty well as I painted the rear bed matte black but this time keeping everything nice and clean is the goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Aghh bumped into a minor issue. The Dinky rear cantilever kit is meant for the standard 90mm suspension and 1.9 setup. I plan on running 2.2" so I guess I will need longer links from the axle back to the rockers which will severely limit suspension travel due to the short shocks and shafts.

On another note my rear GPM aluminum 4 link truss just so happens to hit the bottom of the cantilever setup. Any ideas here?

As far as front end goes I could lower it with some of those Scx10 droop plates to raise the shocks higher into the nobody at the expense of tire rub. Currently they are the stock 4" Wraith shocks.

I guess if I do want to use these 6.0" rc4wd Mud Basher tractor tires, I would need to cut the fenders or go 1.9.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #14

move the cantilever shocks to outside of chassis rails, works well enough for me.
Im liking your build.
crawlpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

^ x2

I know it's been done plenty
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

So that's easy...smh lol I just threw it on without thinking. As far as the threaded linkages go my articulation would be limited be the length of the shock shafts huh? Would that be adequate for a moderately heavy 2.2 hardbody 14" wb rig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hmm the more I work on this rig the more I think it should be on 1.9's. Maybe some tall narrow ones?

If I run AR60 axles and change the NB JK flares to the Axial JK Rubicon Poison flares instead I might be able to pull off the look of these tall tractor tires.

Thoughts on another hardbody? I've done 3 Tundra, 2 Hilux, but I'm not really feeling Ford F-250 HighLift pickup body set..

Maybe convert the NB JK into a doved Brute on AR60's running the current 2.2 wheel/tire setup?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Ok got my single piece Robinson hardened steel lower output gear in for my new HR scx10 tranny case. Bolted it all up. Spins a little slow which means I may have a tad too much grease. All bearings I. The tranny have been replaced with TFE or cleaned and relubed.

Ditched the gen3 56T skipper for now in favor of a basic Duratrax 56T plastic spur for testing. Have not bolted up the Holmes 3300kv sensored BL waterproof motor yet.

If I keep the body I will definitely do a Brute conversion. 14" wheelbase is too long unless it's a 2.2 rig with open fenders which I am considering.

ScaleReady will take part in the fabrications.

Have a wedding this weekend but will post pics as soon as I can!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Decision's been made going with wider AR60s....the Vanquish Curries for the Wraith I mean!!!

Thank you ckrc for the Memorial Day 15% off sale!!

Last edited by alexchen86; 05-23-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

this is coming together nicely what made you want to change what axels your running
fullsizecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

The Mud Demon... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Demon Bully MikeyBike RC4WD Bully 1 12-06-2010 09:55 PM
My Demon bully! Tklan Crawler RC4WD Bully 13 09-10-2010 10:34 PM
The Red Demon t_kirl Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 07-21-2008 07:42 AM
Mud + Mud Slingers + Big Kid = Mud Pit and Trouble RPP Hobby Chit Chat 11 09-25-2007 08:39 AM