Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Buying new esc and motor, too many choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Buying new esc and motor, too many choices?

I have the scx10 deadbolt, and think I fried the stock esc. So looking into buying a new esc and a new motor. I've been searching all day but there's just too many to choose from, and I don't know enough to justify me just dropping money on one that I don't know what's best. I like trail riding, crawling and would like to do a few water crossings. From what I have read, brushed seems to be the best for what I want to do . I guess if I could find a motor that has some decent top end, but also allows for crawling would be best.So few question... 1 run a 2s lipo

1- what is the benefit of a upgraded esc vs stock? What can the additional settings do that my stock can't do?

2- is brushed the best for the style I want?

3- what esc and motor combos do you recommend?

Thank in advance
Jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Buying new esc and motor, too many choices?

A new ESC can do all kinds of things that the stock Deadbolt ESC can't, like adjust forward power, brake strength, drag break, change the driving mode, adjust voltage cutoff, and change the throttle and brake curves. A new ESC could also handle more voltage and run cooler than the stock ESC depending on which one you go with.

Brushed is probably best for you since it handles the water without modification, brushless can provide serious power but you will have to waterproof it yourself (unless you buy the full Holmes brushless package waterproofed by them).

As for which combo to get, that's really up to how much you want to spend and your driving style. I like wheel speed so I would go with a 27T motor on 3S but you may want something slower with better low speed control.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
A new ESC can do all kinds of things that the stock Deadbolt ESC can't, like adjust forward power, brake strength, drag break, change the driving mode, adjust voltage cutoff, and change the throttle and brake curves. A new ESC could also handle more voltage and run cooler than the stock ESC depending on which one you go with.

Brushed is probably best for you since it handles the water without modification, brushless can provide serious power but you will have to waterproof it yourself (unless you buy the full Holmes brushless package waterproofed by them).

As for which combo to get, that's really up to how much you want to spend and your driving style. I like wheel speed so I would go with a 27T motor on 3S but you may want something slower with better low speed control.
Awesome thanks for the help! Which esc models should I research and which would you recommend? So since I will be buying a esc I would like to have the advanced options available to tinker with that allow options for down the road.

I wouldn't mind waterproofing a brushless motor if it was better for performance. I like wheel speed but will it make it harder to handle at low speeds crawling? I have a 2s lips right now.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Holmes, Tekin, and Castle are the most popular options for fully programmable ESCs (The Homes Torquemaster and Castle Sidewinder are available waterproof as a bonus).

As for the top end vs. low end tradeoff, that is personal preference. If you thought the stock deadbolt had a good mix of low speed control and top end, then stick with a 27T motor. If you though it could use some more low speed control then a 30-35T may be better but if you wanted it to be faster then brushless or 3s might be the way to go.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Honestly i got tired of pending 100$+ on motor/esc combo so i went cheap with a Cheap traxxas XL5 and a 35t. lasted me 2 years through Snow, Mud , rivers , and dust. only cost bout 60 bucks for the combo
skedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skedhead View Post
Honestly i got tired of pending 100$+ on motor/esc combo so i went cheap with a Cheap traxxas XL5 and a 35t. lasted me 2 years through Snow, Mud , rivers , and dust. only cost bout 60 bucks for the combo
Hmmmm sounds better on the wallet Will look this up
Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The ae2 is very nice about 40 bucks but will need waterproofing The Holmes hobbies 13t motor is top shelf stuff for 36 bucks
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccallie View Post
Hmmmm sounds better on the wallet Will look this up

Yep its a pretty awsome esc. Waterproof , LVC , traxxas plugs .

i have had it fully submerged under a river for 5 minutes and it still holds up on me.
skedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
The ae2 is very nice about 40 bucks but will need waterproofing The Holmes hobbies 13t motor is top shelf stuff for 36 bucks
Would the 13t be way faster than the stock motor?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccallie View Post
Would the 13t be way faster than the stock motor?
yes, it will be faster, but depends on your definition of "way"
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

It's a rebuild able motor that has amazing low speed control and is maybe 1 or 2 mph faster than the stock 27t axial motor. If you haven't already read or know you will need to buy or borrow a temp. Gun to help you set up you rc with the right pinion gear. Every time you change your wheel size or motor or add weight to you rc or even change you battery type ie nihm or lipo etc 6 cell 7 cell 2s or 3s you need to monitor your tempature of your motor and esc. The max temperature of the motor is 160 and the ecs's is approximately 120.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just got a chance to try my mmp (self waterproofed) ROC412 3100 combo, I was very impressed to say the least.
That said I want to give the 13t Holmes Crawlmaster a shot as well.
I was geared 9/56, On 3s top speed was a fast trot but the motor never got warm.
I will be going to 11 tooth pinion next time out.
billy bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The 13t Holmes motor is a different design than the typical brushed motor, it is roughly equivalent to a 27t motor.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
2nd this. I've bought a couple of AE-2s from the for sale section here for around $25-35 shipped. I use a Castle Link to program and waterproof them myself. I've yet to have one crap out on me. I also have a handful of more expensive ESCs, but hard to beat the AE-2 where bang for your buck is concerned.

As for the Holmes Crawlmaster 13T, I've got one sport and one expert. Great motors and the sport at $35 works just fine, loads of power.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It's a rebuild able motor that has amazing low speed control and is maybe 1 or 2 mph faster than the stock 27t axial motor. If you haven't already read or know you will need to buy or borrow a temp. Gun to help you set up you rc with the right pinion gear. Every time you change your wheel size or motor or add weight to you rc or even change you battery type ie nihm or lipo etc 6 cell 7 cell 2s or 3s you need to monitor your tempature of your motor and esc. The max temperature of the motor is 160 and the ecs's is approximately 120.
I just put 1.9tsl Xls on my rig and my esc and motor get pretty warm. Do I need to change my pinion gear just for the tires? How does one go about this temp gun to know what gear to get?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #16

i use the stock 27t motor right now in my deadbolt. but i wrapped a thin foam around the back to protect from dirt. i go through a lot of mud and water
peetachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I haven't use the tires that your using that being said if they are taller or wider you may indeed need to get a Robinson racing pinion that is lower than your stock one which is a 13 if memory serves me correctly. I use an 11t Robinson racing one on mine the digital temperature gun can be bought at Harbor freight for 20 buck on sale with coupon. Check your motor and esc temp every 15 minutes until you have everything set up correctly. On my deadbolt I pull a trailer with my comp crawler (ax10 scorpion/sw3) and after 30 minutes my temps are 135/140. So on a regular trail/crawl run I'm good to go. However I live in Texas and when it's 115 outside I take my temp gun and check my rigs out periodically.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have the ae5 in 3 of my axial rc's and I have ae2 and a Holmes hobbies. There is nothing wrong with the ae5 it's made by hobbywing. I have had 2 go out one the bec circuit went out (battery eliminator circuit) I use a ccbec (castle creations) on all my rc's now. The ae5 with the bad bec I'm still using I just added the ccbec. The other smoked new and axial replaced it free of charge. So there may be no need to replace your esc or motor right away unless you just want to.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have the ae5 in 3 of my axial rc's and I have ae2 and a Holmes hobbies. There is nothing wrong with the ae5 it's made by hobbywing. I have had 2 go out one the bec circuit went out (battery eliminator circuit) I use a ccbec (castle creations) on all my rc's now. The ae5 with the bad bec I'm still using I just added the ccbec. The other smoked new and axial replaced it free of charge. So there may be no need to replace your esc or motor right away unless you just want to.
Thanks, just ordered a cc bec and the 11t 32 pinion gear. I think I'll stick with the ae5 and currently looking into the Holmes motor.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If you want a waterproof ccbec Holmes hobbies sells them and will program it for you

Buying new esc and motor, too many choices? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor and ESC Combo choices burton_riley Newbie General 8 01-24-2015 06:21 PM
ESC, Motor Plate and Gear choices... elec-fuyu Axial XR10 4 01-17-2012 07:51 AM
Stock esc motor choices? Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 5 10-10-2011 08:58 PM
ESC & motor choices CMaD Electronics 4 07-05-2011 09:48 PM
LCC motor and esc choices... redswr Team Losi Comp Crawler 28 02-25-2011 09:22 AM