RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Jeep Wrangler Unlimited kit links problem (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/534242-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-kit-links-problem.html)

Armistice 04-27-2015 09:22 PM

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited kit links problem

Getting a kit put together and I'm having problems with the links. When all links are installed per the instructions, it clocks the rear axle downward really bad. The front is also clocked down, but not as bad

Front links have the 98mm and rears have the 106mm

Skid is correctly mounted. 3 link is in front and 4 link is in rear. Mount points on axles and frame rails are in their correct spots

Aluminum links are on bottom, plastic links are on top

I have even swapped the links to the opposite side (fronts to rear, rears to front) and that didn't do anything helpful

What the heck is up with this thing?! I didn't have this problem with my Honcho

EDIT UPDATE: Had used the short links on the tree instead of the long links

waw 04-27-2015 10:03 PM

Re: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited kit links problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistice (Post 5212367)
Getting a kit put together and I'm having problems with the links. When all links are installed per the instructions, it clocks the rear axle downward really bad. The front is also clocked down, but not as bad

Front links have the 98mm and rears have the 106mm

Skid is correctly mounted. 3 link is in front and 4 link is in rear. Mount points on axles and frame rails are in their correct spots

Aluminum links are on bottom, plastic links are on top

I have even swapped the links to the opposite side (fronts to rear, rears to front) and that didn't do anything helpful

What the heck is up with this thing?! I didn't have this problem with my Honcho

from what I experienced with the wheel base of 12.3" or 313 mm
  • Front Upper - 3 link
  • Front Lower - 115 mm (eye to eye)
  • Rear Upper - 120 mm
  • Rear Lower - 130 mm
if those measurement didn't solve anything.. then you should try to tweak the length, wether the upper or the lower ones.. do it one by one untill you feel comfortable by the way the axle sits..

hope it helps

Armistice 04-27-2015 10:16 PM

I just don't understand why the kit would have incorrect links

Eric0424 04-27-2015 10:43 PM

Lower links on the 11.4" wheel base using the 91mm pipe and Axial rod ends comes to 115-116mm eye-to-eye, same rod ends with the 98mm pipe should be about 122-123mm eye-to-eye. Two rod ends add about 25mm to eye-to-eye length and add about 33mm to overall length.

With both axles being down your upper links are too short or your lower links are too long, with the kit set-up your pinion angle should be about level with the ground when the shocks are installed.

Make sure you're using spacer AXA1417 at the axle on the front 3-link and try the longer upper plastic links from parts tree AX80043 in the rear (if you're not already using them).

Also triple check the upper and lower link mount locations, upper links bolt to the frame and lower links bolt to the skid.

If all that checks out okay then some pictures may help locate the problem if you're able to post them.

Armistice 04-28-2015 09:14 AM

Oooh, there are longer upper links?

I'm going to have to look

Eric0424 04-28-2015 10:57 AM

Yeah, parts tree #AX80043 has two different length links for the upper rear, #2 are the short links (122mm overall) and #3 are a little longer (131mm overall). That's only 7mm difference between them but it's enough to cause pinion angle troubles.