Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 bearings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Scx10 bearings?

What bearings are holding up best? Will ceramic last the longest?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scx10 bearings?

Never purchased ceramic bearings. Too expensive for me. I use rubber sealed bearings. Fast Eddy has them in convenient packaging. Or Apex sells them on Ebay for 10 for like $6. I abuse my bearing, in mud and water and the like. So if I have to replace them every year, im not that mad.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've had good luck with fast eddy and avid bearings. I know a couple 1/8th scale buggy racers who use ceramics in the race rigs, but have never seen them on crawlers. Probably due to bearings being a very common wear part in crawling. You should still pull all the exterior bearings every few runs and check and clean them. That's about the only way to extend bearing life. Once the race wears into a grove, the bearing either gets sloppy or seizes. I would imagine ceramics would actually wear quicker, as the are claimed to be substantially harder, but are a hybrid, with a steel race.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I got mine wet a few times and now I need new ones. I was looking at the ceramic to reduce friction when pulling my trailer.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ya man, if you want bearings to last, you have to clean and care for them. I don't think splurging on a set of ceramics will do anything for you, if you aren't maintaining your rig. You can put some heavy marine or wheel bearing grease on the exterior bearing face to keep water out. Still doesn't make it maintenance free.

Its easy to keep bearings clean, by removing them and using a mild degreaser, or light weight oil, to push the grime out. Then reapply heavier bearing oil, or light grease the the bearing internals. This means taking the rubber seal out most of the time, although with a hobby knife it is very easy.
If you are lazy,
Bearing Blaster | RPM R/C Products
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Always keep a few on hand of the most common sizes and toss when crunchy.. 5x11x4 & 10x15x4 for me. Avid and fast eddy mostly. All bearings will feel gritty over time because of the elements and I prefer to toss than spend the time cleaning.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have the rpm bearing cleaner. And have used it a few times. My current ones are 5 months old I walk a mile to 3 miles a day with my scx10 with my son. So there toast. Are the avid bearings any better than fast Eddies?

Scx10 bearings? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New scx10 G6 kit bearings with metal shields ignacj Axial SCX-10 1 06-25-2014 12:25 PM
Bearings for scx10 CiLyX Axial SCX-10 10 07-18-2013 08:35 PM
Scx10 bearings and sizes? gymjunkie23 Axial SCX-10 2 09-10-2010 09:44 PM