Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help me get back into it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Default Help me get back into it

So last year I built a SCX10 Jeep ... added Mamba Max Pro, Winch, bunch of scale accessories ... then just lost interest ... never even ran it .. This want my first RC as ive had Tmaxx, 2 Savages, TC3 etc ... but just lost the interest ... So last week I was in my kitchen looking at it and I all of a sudden decided to get back into it .. So last night I was getting it ready and there are things I dont like ...

1- The suspension travel sucks .. i mean its ok but i see trucks from you guys will nice travel .. Is that just new shocks ? Any links to a nice setup I could copy ?

2- Wheels ... I dont want 2.2 but the stockers seem smallish ... Im ok with buying new rims but what tires do you guys recommend ?

thanks for all the help

nitrojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Help me get back into it

That's a nice rig and i definitely deserves some usage.
Being the devil's advocate i would say: Suspension travel and flex are heavily overrated. My G6 rig is running stock Axial Icon shocks and it has gone places no man has gone before (i love Star Trek). I has overcome obstacles my GMade R1 had problems with. For some reason (which is unknown to me) she has taken everything i've thrown at her where my Rubicon with expensive GMade Zero shocks and improved flex had issues.
However your tires might be changed. The Trepador are not all that bad, but replacing them by another affordable and (in my eyes) well around performing Proline Flat Irons for example might be a good idea.

Go out and play!
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I lived in NJ for 20 year so can I assume your truck would get more driving on trails in the woods than rocks? I remember very few places that had rock formations large enough for a few hours of driving.

If that is the case, get a pair of Proline XL Swampers and call it a day. The stock tires look good and I hear they are good on rocks but just don't cut it on loose surfaces. The Prolines seem hook up the best if you drive on a wide variety of surfaces.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Flex is certainly overrated as stated. As for wheels - SSD make great wheels and the proline beadlocks are also good! Pit bull make great tyres but the proline xl swampers are also a great option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I don't run on much rock so I opted for tsl boggers on 1.9 ssd rims and I'm really happy with them! these are a set of 2.2 cut down to 1.9 as I wAnted the wide look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

thanks everyone - now I also notices that my front end bottoms out pretty quickly - I have the Jevne battery relocation mount up front so maybe thats it .. My servo horn hits the chassis brace ... Dummy me removed the brace but still not much travel before it bottoms out
nitrojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

You could do with using it to find out how you like it to drive most of my scale trucks almost run at full droop (bottomed out) as I prefer the axle to fall away from the truck apposed to the spring compressing and coming toward it.... I also prefer this as it keeps the rig as low as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Go out and run it. Figure out what you don't like or would like to improve then do it.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The good ol' servohorn hitting the bracket issue....
I like my cars to have the option of going "full droop" if needed. So i took the bracket away and made one myself that supports the battery.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have had my JK for about a year and like you, my interest waned but the last few weeks I have been out in the back yard driving around and planing out a path to crawl over the few rocks I have and will add a few fallen branches so spice it up. Remember, it is a hobby not a job or a full time commitment of your free time, enjoy it when you want and if you a got a little space, hit the Depot or some decorative rock shop and pick up a few 3-6 inch rocks to spice up the adventure.
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Don't rule out 2.2s entirely. Some run small. I don't like 1.9s either...unless they run big. here's mine with nothing more than wheels, tires, and shocks that were taken off my Wraith Spawn when I was upgrading it. My basket case SCX10 does great too. Goes almost everywhere my Wraith can but that's because I'm a really bad driver
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me get back into it - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh, throw it back to me..........back to me Robb Chit Chat 29 04-09-2015 08:25 AM
DMG Stiffy Kit: Long Back or Short Back DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 0 01-14-2014 09:48 PM
never drink a diet coke, and then a real coke back to back STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 17 05-26-2010 07:47 PM
LCC on it's back.....help! roll me back over! y2kgtp Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 02-15-2010 03:38 PM