Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Here she is! My first Scale Crawler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Default Here she is! My first Scale Crawler!

Just got my SCX-10 in today and she is a beauty! Fresh off of fleabay and right to my door. I'll skip the rest of the bs and go right for the pics because that's what I know you all want.

ALUMINUM EVERYWHERE!! And those icon shocks... yummy. All for less than three big bucks.

I do have one serious question though. What is the best way to attach the hard top, without making life really hard? From the hardware included by the seller, it seems like I'm supposed to screw it down, but that means I have to undo screws to get the body off and change my battery? That's a lot of work. What do you guys do?

On a less serious note, I'm undecided on the mocking jay hood. I have a hood sticker to cover it up and go all black, but if I did that, there is no going back. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emerstride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Here she is! My first Scale Crawler!

I think I just figured the roof thing out. Screw it in and then there is a spot for a pin that comes out of the spare tire mount.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well, for the price you did a pretty nice buy. However i do not see the same amount of aluminum as you do. The links come stock with the kit. First thing i noticed is the servohorn. Is it nicely straight on there? Looks a bit "off".
But good buy! No signs of real wear and tear. No scratches on the diff or links.
If the Mocking Jay is not you thing, who's holding you back of making it more "your Rubi"? Get creative on that hood
Screws to hold the body? Damn... Didn't you get the higher bodyposts that came with the kit? Or even the lower one? Normally the roofsection is screwed to the inner roll cage. By turning the sparetiremount you could reach the inner bodyclips.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

I figured out the roll cage/body situation to my liking. The screws were hidden in the box for the light kit. I was under the impression the links came plastic? Maybe that's just the rtr. Either way I'm stoked with it. Which angle does the servo horn concern you from? It has some play back to front, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think on the second to last pic, the shot looking down on the servo, it appears that the servo horn is not properly seated, but that could just be an optical illusion. Either way though looking good.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah nice deal you found on that one. I like the hood art. What did you have to cover it up?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
I think on the second to last pic, the shot looking down on the servo, it appears that the servo horn is not properly seated, but that could just be an optical illusion. Either way though looking good.

Cheers,
Wade

I see that for sure. Just tightened the screw and it is in all the way. Will investigate more later.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Yeah nice deal you found on that one. I like the hood art. What did you have to cover it up?

I have the stock black hook sticker from axial.

Another noob question. Went out to the dirt parking lot behind my dorm to climb some sand piles and I didn't get very long - maybe 20 minutes max - out of a 6s 3000mah NiMh battery. Maybe a bad battery? Reading around it sounds like guys are getting much longer run times out of smaller batteries.

Last edited by emerstride; 10-12-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I use a 3000 mah lipo and get 45-60 min with a 27turn motor, that's a 3s though.
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerstride View Post
I have the stock black hook sticker from axial
I'd leave it the way it is. Looks cool and at least it's different. Plus a black sticker on black isn't really gonna show, just make it look super plain. Just my opinion. Also, replace that battery with a LIPO. You'll be much happier with the performance. Make sure your charger is LIPO compatible as well.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

I have lipos in my yeti, so the infrastructure is already in place. I just need to make sure my esc is lipo compatible first.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looks good
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

Second run update: I used a different battery (same specs) and got about an hour runtime, so it looks like I may just have an old battery. This thing is so much fun. It's an entirely different experience than my yeti. I need to find a better place to drive it though because I have officially completed every possible route across the sand/gravel pile at the back of the parking lot. I'm going to have to get her out on a hiking trail soon or I may go crazy. Too bad there isn't much natural crawling terrain in FL. Sand may be good too though. I'm just gonna try everything for now.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot ;)

Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Congrats with your purchase, have fun with it. And start looking for nice trails.

Send from my Colorfly G708 phablet.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Update: first modification made! Switched to Traxxas plugs. One of my buddies had a bunch of old nimh batteries he donated to my cause with Traxxas plugs, so the change was made.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #16

Took her out this weekend and made a little course. Nothing special, but it was fun!

The last photo is a group shot from a different spot where I went on Friday with my roommates. 7 cars between 4 of us. There is a twin hammers too that didn't make it in the shot.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerstride View Post
I see that for sure. Just tightened the screw and it is in all the way. Will investigate more later.
If the servo horn screw is too long or cross threaded it can/will bottom out before the servo horn is fully seated. Looks like yours is not fully seated and at an angle, the back of the horn should be much closer to, and parallel with the servo top plate.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLAR View Post
Jeep body looks great! So many choices, yours makes it harder to choose what to buy/do/modify.

I was in your shoes a month ago! There are so many good choices for crawlers! I think I am going to get a new body and make the jeep look exactly like I want it to. Not sure what "exactly like I want it to" means yet though.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

congrats, welcome to the team!
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #20

I had the same issue with my roof. I bought these screws from associated. They are part number ASC6916. The have a hole drilled through the head of the screw for a body clip. So you would replace the top screws that would normally hold the top to the cage with these. Then you would use body clips to hold the roof to the cage. then body clips to hold the roof to the truck itself. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it makes sense!
mottillod is offline   Reply With Quote

Here she is! My first Scale Crawler! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro crawler scale trailer and accessories scale mod compilations hobby machine Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 04-26-2015 02:57 PM