Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Im a veteran to RC, but a Newbie to Crawlers. I need help for Christmas gift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Default Im a veteran to RC, but a Newbie to Crawlers. I need help for Christmas gift

Guys, I am an old RC10 guy from 30 years ago. I loved buying a kit and building these things. I honestly think RTR kits do not do justice to anybody in the RC world. Gotta know how to fix them. what better way than to build them too?

That being said, I have my son an Axial SCX10 jeep RTR coming for Christmas. He is talking about tire upgrades etc. (Bigger tires etc.) What are some important upgrades these? The one I got him is a special C/R Edition.

Sorry guys, I am not a crawling expert and truthfully, I have been out of it so long, I am not an expert in anything. Any help or expertise would be appreciated. Just want him to get some cool stuff for Christmas.

Any pics, upgrade suggestions, etc. As well as any important info for a new guy to crawlers would be appreciated too.

Thanks
mtraider1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Im a veteran to RC, but a Newbie to Crawlers. I need help for Christmas gift

When the plastic chubs and steering knuckles, lock outs brake. There are multiple company's that make them in aluminum like vanquish axial strc. A 30. 00 motor from Holmes Hobbies will improve your slow speed control. The first upgrade would be metal links front and rear and the steering link set.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Im a veteran to RC, but a Newbie to Crawlers. I need help for Christmas gift

I bought my daughter a wraith when she was about 8yrs old. Changed the gearing to 87/12 build new steering and bought a new servo when the stock one blew. That has been over 4 years ago. The stock motor is cheap but if you gear it down it can last. The only other thing she has broke is 1 C Hub...not bad.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would solder up a castle BEC and run it on 3s lipo. Also upgrade the steering and suspension links to either stainless steel or titanium (RC4X4 Performance stainless on facebook for stainless Vanquish for titanium), Chubs, knuckles, servo. Its hard to give a specific list because everyone drives different but thats what I would start with.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Durability upgrades...

...steel transmission gears

...metal links for the steering (probably a stronger servo too)

...alloy Chubs and S. knuckles - Rr lockout(s) are not as critical

...metal suspension links both upper and lower

Weight distribution...

...move the primary battery to the forward position on the chassis

the tires/wheels are the last thing I'd have concern for.
especially for those whom may be inexperienced
or are just starting out.

In other words... learn first with what ya have...
and then upgrade when ya break parts
or your skills improve to the next level.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 11-28-2015 at 02:50 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #6

Awesome, that gives me a starting point. Not much crawlers around here I don't believe. Not even a good crawler hobby store. But give me an idea on what I will be buying first. LOL

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

also, are these Axial SCX10 RTR's waterproof? He said some people have them waterproof etc. I know Traxxas mae some waterproof ESC's etc. Didn't know if the Axial's came the same way. Honestly, is there a lot of water in the crawling scene?
mtraider1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Th the ae5 is waterproof / resistant. Hit up the vendor's on rccralwer.Com they specialize in crawler stuff.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtraider1515 View Post
Awesome, that gives me a starting point. Not much crawlers around here I don't believe. Not even a good crawler hobby store.
There's a couple forums based in middle TN. Google Scale Rock Crawlers and Scale Trail Runners. SRC typically has one get together per month. There are a few crawling spots around Murfreesboro.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtraider1515 View Post
Awesome, that gives me a starting point. Not much crawlers around here I don't believe. Not even a good crawler hobby store. But give me an idea on what I will be buying first. LOL

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

also, are these Axial SCX10 RTR's waterproof? He said some people have them waterproof etc. I know Traxxas mae some waterproof ESC's etc. Didn't know if the Axial's came the same way. Honestly, is there a lot of water in the crawling scene?
Very few are lucky enough to have a hobby shop well stocked with Crawler stuff. I'm not one of them. Lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

To answer your question about water in the crawler seen. The last comp I was at my scx10 went completely under water. (I was helping my 4 year old son and hit the trigger) so long story short I only buy waterproof /resistant stuff, it's cheep insurance. As parts brake upgrade to waterproof. Also you'll be surprised how long the stock parts last. The metal steering link set I would change before the first run! When you replace your Servo get a castle creations bec! Also there are lots of good videos on utube for how to. (most are rcc members) squirrel has some good one on waterproofing!

Last edited by snapon boy; 11-28-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The required upgrades in my opinion are metal steering links, metal suspension links, and a BEC. The AE5 is water resistant ( I have had mine completely submerged multiple times) and the BEC can easily be waterproofed. Just make sure you waterproof the receiver box because stock it is not.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
The required upgrades in my opinion are metal steering links, metal suspension links, and a BEC. The AE5 is water resistant ( I have had mine completely submerged multiple times) and the BEC can easily be waterproofed. Just make sure you waterproof the receiver box because stock it is not.
Do you have a link to the best place to find these recommendations?
Zealot RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Rrp Hobbies
Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
RCC Addict

http://www.rpphobby.com
careful...that site has great prices and fast shipping! consider yourself warned

awesome Christmas gift for your son. When i got one for my daughter i just let her drive it until she broke something. then let her replace the part with me when it arrived. she started to drive a little more carefully after getting frustrated with the downtime of breaking something.

Last edited by Mr.Joshua; 11-29-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the link I could not get it to paste.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #16

Are these it?

Says its for the ax10 but its under the scx10 category.
Axial RTR Steering Upgrade Kit
Zealot RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yes.

Im a veteran to RC, but a Newbie to Crawlers. I need help for Christmas gift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas gift suggestions bowtieuser General Crawlers 18 01-09-2014 04:54 PM
My christmas gift to myself. fly_out_kid Scale Accessories 3 01-06-2013 07:00 AM
awesome Christmas gift... braceysdad Chit Chat 7 12-13-2012 03:26 PM
Christmas Eve Gift kartracer2 Chit Chat 3 12-25-2006 07:32 AM
Christmas gift from me to my Son.... 86ss1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 12-31-2004 06:33 PM