Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another Honcho build by a newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another Honcho build by a newb

After putting it back together loosely to take with me I realized the servo was hitting the cross member and not allowing travel at all. I took off the front bumper cut down the posts and the ears on the chassis mount. Slid the cross member forward and now it clears well

Sent from my SM-N910T
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Can you post a picture of what it looks like now that you've made these cuts? If not, can you or anyone else link to a forum post which shows someone else doing this? I encountered this issue and was wondering about what can be done.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

This is looking down at the bumper. I trimmed the two posts that it attaches to. The cross member inside the chassi, on the end had some small ears that I trimmed back to allow me to move the cross member that the servo was hitting forward

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I read how it was possible to use the leftover parts in my Power Wagon's spare parts bag to convert to the 4 link upper in the front. However, as soon as I was finished I realized that the links were too long and now the servo arm was hitting that cross member. I then went to Hobbytown to buy Axial 60mm and 25mm aluminum tubes, fitted them up with the ball ends and this time was able to get it converted without cross-member contact.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I don't see a need for anything additional beyond another long screw for the truss. It is a bit forward but nothing binds

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Had a blast at the indoor comp last night. Still have a lot to learn driving wise. Bought some sliders since mine were held together with electrical tape. Hoping to score a few things at the swap meet today. Tires wheels and foams first of all. Also ordered an interior kit to build when it comes in.

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

So today I had hoped to see a bunch of stuff slightly used that I'd be able to buy dirt cheap. Come to find out I'm picky and half the fun is obsessing over which bumper best suits me or next week it maybe wheels or the following week maybe it will be something else. Anyhow I decided that wheels, foams, tires and sliders are next for my build. Today I began crossing off some of those items. I'll update the first post with pics when done

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

So I start my new job next Monday and I figured I might as well spend a day playing with my crawler while I am off. I went by The Crawl Space because I also hoped to snag the body he had on the wall. I also couldn't resist some bumpers. I grabbed the stubby rc4wd bumper. Gotta drill a hole in the chassis to get it where I want it. Ikaika had a rear he sold me as well. I need to drill holes in it for it to fit. I went ahead and moved all the lights but when I went to drill my holes the bit broke. I'll figure something out tomorrow before the comp on Friday.

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Got my wheels in the mail today. Put on the new foams and tires. Also hoping my servo winch is at the LHS. I am not sure I'll make it to the comp tomorrow due to the GF's b day weekend. She says I can tonight but 24 hours is a lot of time for her mind to change. First post updated with pics and details

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited by odomandr; 02-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

So I missed last Friday, but I went tonight for the comp. Tires needed to be broken in before they grabbed on, should have played in the front yard a bit prior. I was hoping for the servo winch but it's not in quite yet, hopefully Wednesday of next week (I'll have to wait for Fridays comp to get it). I couldn't keep the money from burning a hole though so I grabbed everything to upgrade my servo to a hitec 7954. Gonna wait until I finish off the tactic before I install it

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited by odomandr; 02-12-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Had fun this past Friday and Sunday at the comps both indoor and outdoor. The difference in setting challenges me as a driver so much. I have been collecting parts on my shelf for the past two months but it's getting time to work on the full size

Sent from my SM-N910T

Last edited by odomandr; 02-23-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #32

Those metal wheels or plastic?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
cmecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Looking good bud! I ended up picking up a set of wheels from the same "eBay" seller, went with the black spoked wheels. Running the same PB's too. Great combo! I ran them for a while and ended up venting the tires, made a difference with their ability to grip in climbing. However, I also noticed the stock foams seemed a bit soft for side hilling so I upgraded to CI dual stage foams, fixed the problem.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #34

Just saw this thread... Our builds are very similar! Even down to the knock-off wheels ;)

Crawler Newb OCD Honcho
teddymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #35
RCC Addict

is adding parts to a RTR really a build or a title? just curious.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Fun thread! I'm glad the Honcho is still a desirable and available body, because that means there'll continue to be aftermarket products, such as newer lexan cabs that pair up with the Honcho cage, like the '66 Ford F-100 that Pro-Line released, only a few weeks ago (2-03-2016).

I've got a friend who's going to sell me an extra RTR Honcho body that he decided not to use, because his kids wanted to get clear body kits, and build their own. I'm going to swap out my current Jeep Wrangler body with it, and do the Honcho thing for the next few months.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmecha View Post
Those metal wheels or plastic?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
They are metal all 4 pieces are aluminum I believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Looking good bud! I ended up picking up a set of wheels from the same "eBay" seller, went with the black spoked wheels. Running the same PB's too. Great combo! I ran them for a while and ended up venting the tires, made a difference with their ability to grip in climbing. However, I also noticed the stock foams seemed a bit soft for side hilling so I upgraded to CI dual stage foams, fixed the problem.
Yeah I am really liking the PB tires and CI foams. I may order a set of the spoked wheels too they are legit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddymac View Post
Just saw this thread... Our builds are very similar! Even down to the knock-off wheels ;)

Crawler Newb OCD Honcho
Subbed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
is adding parts to a RTR really a build or a title? just curious.
I'm having fun documenting and playing with an RTR. Don't need any verification, excuse yourself if you don't enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Fun thread! I'm glad the Honcho is still a desirable and available body, because that means there'll continue to be aftermarket products, such as newer lexan cabs that pair up with the Honcho cage, like the '66 Ford F-100 that Pro-Line released, only a few weeks ago (2-03-2016).

I've got a friend who's going to sell me an extra RTR Honcho body that he decided not to use, because his kids wanted to get clear body kits, and build their own. I'm going to swap out my current Jeep Wrangler body with it, and do the Honcho thing for the next few months.
I saw a couple at the lhs that I want to try. Maybe in a year after I've beat this body to hell I'll get serious about something new.

Sent from my SM-N910T
Old 09-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Well after letting the truck sit on the shelf for a bit (I got busy with other hobbies), I picked it up today to see what all I needed to do. I had a battery lose a cell, I strugged to fit the winch somewhere and my motor is on its last leg. I needed a radio for the winch anyway and on the way there decided I'd leave it for a once over and to let Ikaika help me with it all. I'm sure he will find a bunch of rtr parts for me to upgrade but I'm hoping it's OK to run for another winter before I tear it down for a real rebuild. Anyhow my interest in this hobby is returning as the day light gets short and the weather gets cold I don't enjoy the outdoors quite as much.

I did spend on a spektrum dx4c as an upgrade hopefully I can pick up a proline Toyota pickup body too when funds are right

Last edited by odomandr; 09-24-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Picked up my truck from Ikaika at The Crawl Space (lucky to have a great lhs). He set me up to go again. I'll get my impressions on this Holmes 21t torque master expert in the coming days. I also got him to hook up the servo winch. It is super cool. Glad to have the truck back not acting funny.

Last edited by odomandr; 09-29-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

So far I am liking the 21t 550 torque master expert. It has a 16t 48p pinion and seems to have great power not much speed.

Last edited by odomandr; 08-14-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Another Honcho build by a newb - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb Honcho Kit Question... Z71HULK Axial SCX-10 21 07-22-2010 08:04 AM
newb honcho steering parts question nafie Axial SCX-10 3 04-15-2010 03:59 PM
My 1.9 newb build :) ScGRaceR 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 06-10-2007 10:52 AM
Another Newb. Build trussman Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 05-07-2007 01:55 PM
Newb Build not quite! cblake187 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 38 01-14-2007 05:55 PM