Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another Honcho build by a newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another Honcho build by a newb

I felt like the servo was a bit weak at the last comp. I've had a hitec hs 7954sh in waiting. I put it in along with a castle BEC and had Ikaika solder it up and set my servo horn. Hoping to have some success today at the second comp in this seasons outdoor series
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Sometime last September I was playing out front pondering going to a comp on a Friday night. I got the tires bound up and stripped the transmission gears, didnt go to the comp. Then we bought a house in October and I am just now getting around to fixing it. A few weeks ago I took it apart to see what all I might need, decided to put metal gears and new bearings in. Went to the local hobby town and could not get anyone to help me. I ended up going around and looking for the part i needed, they did not carry it. On the way out they said they could order anything i needed.....
Parts sit on counter for weeks on end, I finally end up in Denver for a day and drop in to the crawl space to see what all is needed. Decided to let Ikaika set the gears up for me again and go over what looks like may be needed a little preventative maintenance.....also a ploy to get back into the shop to look at scx10ii honcho a second time after picking his brain on the different kits and models.
Last Saturday I was back in Denver and I got a message that my truck was ready...go to pick it up but the boss is with me, cant buy an scx10ii with her riding shot gun after picking up a perfectly good scaler.
Spend last few days looking at links, motors, receivers, axles shock hoops and other hop ups for the new truck....Get hung up on deciding between honcho and deadbolt. I am going back to Denver tomorrow we will see what is in stock.........

So, I will keep adding stuff to the OG Honcho as necessary but it is pretty much as built as I want to go with it I am 2 points away from being max points for my SORCCA class I believe, new rules show me as possibly at max points. not sure but it has a lot of stuff and while still a lot of fun I will probably only build a fresh body for it as I learn to work with lexan this summer.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I will go to more Friday night comps.
I am going to go to the LHS Friday night comp crawl again starting this week. I want to wait on my wheel set to wheel the new scx10ii honcho but I kept looking at the beat up original scx10 honcho body and couldn't stand it any longer. I've had a new body put away to paint, but I had never done any of the body process. I had tools and supplies to do the single color I wanted but lacked the knowledge. I watched a few videos of the process and went to work on trimming the body and decals yesterday. I waited until the wind died down this evening and then began washing the lexan and masking off areas. I gave it three light coats of silver then backed it with two coats of black to make the interior pop when I begin that process for this new body down the road. I need to work on a lot of this procedure still like trimming the decals and laying them straight without getting finger prints on them, trimming wheel arches, etc. Overall though I am happy with how it came out. Not factory perfect but good enough to make me feel like I accomplished something.

Now I have a body to beat up on Friday nights and one that looks nice and pretty....just joking Im gonna get it scratched up too once i finish the bed...

Might also grab another body to paint silver for the new truck tomorrow.

Pics of new body and the interior I completed too

Last edited by odomandr; 06-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

So Friday night I went to the comp in Denver. It is a haul to get there but i had a good time and realized that I need to drive more and that my truck was suffering from a lack of turning radius. I asked what could be done and it was suggested to do the xr10 mod on the front. I bought some of the parts but some of it was a bit more than I was confident doing. I ended up getting the universals trimmed and notched with a sander I bought at harbor freight for 80 bucks over the weekend... never hurts to have another tool... but this left me stuck in the process until the LHS opened again this week (closed monday in the summer).

After getting the axles all set up i had to wait until today to go back to Denver to purchase the remaining items and get the details on setting it all up. Once again Ikaika was very helpful. I think I was more of a disruption to his day but he pretended not to mind. I did get to crawl a bit before heading out the door and WOW why did I not do this sooner.... Truck is able to get around so much better that I can only imagine how this has been the Achilles for some time.

All in all the following got added to the Honcho today
  • Axial xr10 universals
  • Boom Racing C Hubs
  • Vanquish Knuckles
  • Beeftubes scx10 length xr10 mod brass tubes
  • Boom Raching Lockers for front and rear
  • new longer rod ends for extended steering links
Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Ikaika also help me set the end points on the radio. Great LHS, I'm lucky to have their knowledge.
To the left

To the right

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited by odomandr; 06-19-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Turns out just outside my back gate is a great crawling/scale adventure area. Someone even built a couple small bridges. I had seen a few people walk back there with an RC. I thought they were just following a trail at first but then have heard from a few people locally that this is one of the better places to come and play trucks. I made Rochelle take a short video of my poor attempt going up it. I don't want to damage someone else's work so I'll have to track down the next people that come out here and make sure I'm good to go playing on their hard work.

I ended up breaking the yeti jr in some tall grass. I missed a small jump and shouldn't have had to drive out of the weeds I landed in. There's a few good spots back there for that truck too that I already knew about. Having a puppy all winter limited the exploring I did back there with him, that's about to change.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I wish I had done a CMS long ago. I need to look into that
Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Last edited by odomandr; 07-23-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #49
RCC Addict

I like that terrain your running on! Looks like allot of fun!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Well I had originally planned to build another rig with the game changer chassis and the VP Curries I found second hand, I even picked up a Vader skid for it all....
Then, after finding a HPI venture I decided that would be the new truck and instead to put the Vader skid and curries under the OG honcho. I threw some random shocks under it for now and quickly realized it needs them all rebuilt. I need some smoother shocks on this and the other rigs. Pictures coming once I find the tripod or the boss gets home

Last edited by odomandr; 08-30-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Well I said to hell with it and threw all the hopups I had in the cabinets at it. The VP Jock Rocks warranted it I felt. First I assembled the SuperShafty MIP shafts and then borrowed a newer spur and slipper assembly as well as the outputs from a 10ii RTR. A VP housing along with incision gears and VP idler and topshaft round out the transmission. I needed a new pinion to work with the 32p spur and an 11t Robinson fit the bill.

I can say now it's ready to break something.....

I am also very happy with the outcome. That said, the pitbull tires are sad without some CI foams, sad that they raised the price and said the stock foam was sufficient..... Might reevaluate and put something from Proline on. I've really liked the wraith with the tsl tires and the hyrax on the ii have done well too....

So I still need to rebuild a set of shocks and fix the tires/foams. I have a powershift dms and need to respool the winch with some fresh line. Once those items are complete I will beore than satisfied with this rig. Rick and Morty are pleased as are the rest of the garage.....
Attached Images

Last edited by odomandr; 08-30-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Well I stole the hyrax from the ii and went to Denver to crawl. I got the winch spooled and glad that I did as I hit a few tough spots on the courses tonight. Had a great time despite the drive. All in all the Friday events are a lot of fun
Old 12-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Went to a comp two Fridays back and ended up grabbing a project.....or two. Heard Ikaika mention a box stock store truck comp and wanted a reminder.....

So we are back to stock. I picked up a game changer 2 comp chassis months ago and finally swapped rails.
The Currie axles electronics and everything but bumpers and sliders is on the game changer chassis.

The OG is back to close to stock. I grabbed a 27 turn motor at work and put the built stock axles and stock transmission and radio from a ii in it. I also had an AE5 that I kept in it.

I also grabbed a Hilux Tamiya body for the game changer chassis going to pinch the front and build it out as a twin to my ii again.....
Old 03-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

So this build is back with the xr narrow mod axles with following mods
Axial XR10 universals modded
VP knuckles *wraith
VP C Hubs *wraith
VP lockouts
VP links
VP Trans housing metal gears
56t 32p spur
12t pinion
Holmes Torquemaster Expert 550 21t
Ae2 esc
Castle Bec
Crawlspace battery tray
EcoPower 120T servo
DX4C Radio system
Powershift RC road runner winch
Scaler Fab front bumper
Rc4wd sliders
Chanquish beadlock wheels
Pitbull rockbeast 1.9 4.55 tires
Crawlers innovations dual stage 4.5 foams
Honcho body
Brazin Flip kit
Traxxas GTS shocks
Dinky interior
Random scale stuff

I need a rear bumper for it. Id also like to find a set of the shock hoops from vp for the original scx10.

Last edited by odomandr; 06-19-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Well I found the shock hoops I'd been after and got some new foams for the tires as I'm betting they are begining to show their age. May be a while before they go in but they will be on deck after the snow this winter. I also started working on an sr5 body that will be a nice fit on this rig. It still does great and is enjoyable to drive but I wanted to try something else new so I put in a dig unit to play around with.

Another Honcho build by a newb - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb Honcho Kit Question... Z71HULK Axial SCX-10 21 07-22-2010 08:04 AM
newb honcho steering parts question nafie Axial SCX-10 3 04-15-2010 03:59 PM
My 1.9 newb build :) ScGRaceR 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 06-10-2007 10:52 AM
Another Newb. Build trussman Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 05-07-2007 01:55 PM
Newb Build not quite! cblake187 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 38 01-14-2007 05:55 PM