Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Introducing Hannibal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Introducing Hannibal

My original SCX-10 got really heavy and while it still performed well, I recently moved to a place where there are actually other people who crawl and hold comps so I wanted to build something a bit more performance oriented. I also travel a bit for work now, so having a single rig to toss in a case and travel with will be nice.

The name "Hannibal" is because I cannibalized parts from my "old" heavy SCX-10 to get this one running. I wanted to get this ready for the Axial Resistance run in Colorado (but it got cancelled). Since I actually like the Deadbolt body and its the cheapest model, I snagged one at my LHS then proceeded to set my debit card on fire from TSS, Locked up, Ebay,and RPP Hobby.

Parts list:
SSD D60 axles
SSD knuckles
SSD C Hubs
SSD Titanium steering links
SSD Brass tubes in front
SSD Aluminum diff cover in front
TSS chassis and high clearance skid
Locked Up FI spools front and rear
Locked Up CMS
Vanquish links
Vanquish VVDs
HR lightweight trans gears
Axial HD standard gears up front, UD rear
Voodoo KLR Golds on ebay Method beadlocks
Rockbeast stock foams up front, CI Lil Nova soft outer comp cut inner on the rear
MMP 1 Cell
CC BEC
Hitec 7955TG Servo
Knight Customs Grille and Battery Tray
Axial Icon SCX-10 shocks
HH Torquemaster Pro 550 can 27T

Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Introducing Hannibal

I'm mainly doing this thread to kinda show what works well with other stuff or what is required to get things to work together since this is mostly an off the shelf build.

All of the diff parts went together extremely well. The axle shafts went into the spools with just a good firm push. No slop at all. The gears seem to mesh well. The SSD knuckles are great because they use the stock length steering linkage and you get a ton of steering. I think it is better than my high clearance Axial setup on my other SCX. I do wish SSD's "grey" was the same for the diff cover and C Hubs, but it isnt even close. I'll be ordering the silver cover this week.

The Ebay Method knockoffs and KLRs was probably the easiest combo that I have ever put together. They held the bead great the first time.

I have zero bump steer with the Locked Up CMS and while it was kind of a pain to set up, I'd say it is worth it.

Problems I encountered:
Due to the high clearance skid/new upper link location on the rear, I had to make my own upper links.
The servo arm hit on the lower bumper mounts on the front of the chassis, requiring some Dremel work.
Knight Customs Grille hit the Locked Up CMS servo mount, requiring more Dremel work.
Knight Customs battery tray sits up too high and hits the body so I will not be using it any more. I'll figure something else out.
The TSS chassis does not line up with factory body holes so I used the other mounts included in the extra parts trees with a stock Axial RTR.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Today was my first run with Hannibal. I was very impressed with the performance for a rig that has had no tuning. I'll continue to run this foam setup for the time being. I need to figure out how to get this darn Hitec servo programmer to work so I can get all my steering to the left.

I noticed that I didnt get hung up as much with the high clearance skid. The torque from the HH Torquemaster Pro was great. Wheelspeed was not quite what I was expecting, but I did gear it down one tooth on the pinion. It didnt even get warm so I'll possibly go back up to stock ratio.

Next up on the upgrade list is a front bumper that doesnt stick out so much, beef patties, and a led light bar. I'll also be playing with the vinyl printer to get this thing not looking like every other Deadbolt out there.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome! I'm also jealous of your access to sweet rock areas for crawling !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The new rig looks great man. You chose a lot of nice parts including one of those new Holmes brushed 550s I'd love to try. Glad you found a group to go crawling with already. Vegas must have a ton of great crawling places. Keep the adventure pics coming.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
The new rig looks great man. You chose a lot of nice parts including one of those new Holmes brushed 550s I'd love to try. Glad you found a group to go crawling with already. Vegas must have a ton of great crawling places. Keep the adventure pics coming.
I was surprised to get the motor so fast. The site showed a 3 week delay but I had it in my hands in 2-3 days. I wanted more wheel speed than my 35T motors but didn't want to sacrifice too much torque.

There are quite a few places that everyone goes but so far I have only been to the Calico Basin. We have been busy getting settled in so I haven't been able to slip away. Now that's mostly done so I should be able to get out more.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would kill to crawl out there.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I would kill to crawl out there.
Flights are cheap!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Col, did that motor come with leads soldered on or did you have to do that? There's no option to add leads like there is on the other 540 motors.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I did it. I normally use Castle's bullet connectors on my motors but I didnt have any and I didnt want to order them and wait. I'm not sure if the hobby shops around here would have had any. They are surprisingly lacking in RC stuff. Lots of models, rockets, etc. The one closest to me has quite a few RTRs of all makes but no parts to speak of. VERY little as far as electronics go.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very sweet build..

It look like you sliders are rubbing on your back tires.

Check Dudley Deadbolt's 1st page for stock sliders mod.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks!

They rub a tiny bit but not as bad as the picture looks. I don't want to hack them up or move them. I like the kickout being close to the tire because it prevents stuff from getting wedged between the tire and slider. I've broken axles because of that happening.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

Crawl area is a big step up from Deridder . I was hoping you'd make it to Barnwell Mtn this weekend buuuuut you're a little too far now. I like the new rig . Well done
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Its a very big change! I really like the scenery and new places to go. Not too fond of the traffic though.

I had originally planned on the Axial The Resistance run on April 30 in Colorado but that was cancelled a few days ago. The Barnwell G6 was a thought since plane tickets to Dallas are cheap, but my wife has an important Dr Appt on Friday the 29th so I decided against it. I have a pretty big list of events that I want to hit this year including Axialfest.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

My rpm sliders rub on my back tires as well. I have a 12" wheelbase. I agree the kickout is handy and keeps me out of binds.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I wasnt happy with the Knight Customs battery tray. The fit and finish was great, but I felt it was just too tall. So I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place and dug around in the hundreds of random plastic bits that Axial has provided me over the years. I found these little plastic guys and a couple small spacers and went to work. I had to bore out the holes a bit for M3 screws and drill a couple holes in the chassis and battery tray, but it lowered my battery down an inch or more.

I also picked up an SSD bumper that will soon be home to a winch. I'm trying to talk myself into their Ox winch but $200 between the winch and controller is kinda hard to swallow. Plus I still have to buy a hook and line.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #17

I also have that bumper the fairleads have been hard to find so i used the RC4WD warn with the mounting hole at 31.5mm it worked great. Have you seen the WARN Zeon 10 winch specs of Dead lift of 12 Lbs and Drag of 18 Lbs quite a bit cheaper then the OX. By the way that is a great way to mount that battery tray rather then going and buying one for $50
Jsabourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm familiar with the RC4WD Warn and the knockoffs of it, but I like the freespool feature on the Ox. I'm hoping to get into some comps and think that could save some time. I did see someone posted something about RC4WD possibly coming out with a winch similar to the Ox, so depending on price I may go that route instead.

I have an SSD (i think) fairlead mounted already. It was already sitting in my parts box from another project.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Yesterday was Hannibal'second run. The KLRs and foams are starting to break in and the lower battery tray definitely made a difference. A couple of the local guys had their comp rigs out and I think with a little more tuning I'll do pretty well. Steep climbs continue to be my Achilles heel. Beef patties are coming up.

I did also snag this light bar from "Darth Sprocket" on ebay and I'm happy with it. It fits perfectly on the factory mounts and is pretty bright on 3s. I mounted an RC4wd micro switch in the console to turn it on and off.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Tapped straight off a 3S pack fresh off a storage charge. The bush is ~9 or 10' away.

And without the light

The only other light bar that I have owned is an RC4WD 4". The RC4WD light bar is nicer looking but is not as bright.

Introducing Hannibal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hannibal Mo comp dates 09 lowloc Missouri 79 08-14-2009 03:39 PM
GTG @ Hannibal Rocks... RockAddict75 Missouri 2 04-24-2009 08:35 PM
Hannibal Rocks Pics!! JEFF THE JET Missouri 1 08-31-2008 12:43 PM
Hannibal Mo, Comp anyone? lowloc Missouri 35 06-13-2008 04:11 PM
XRRA Hannibal Photos tmyjeeper Chit Chat 34 07-25-2007 07:29 PM