Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Put a clod on my scx10 (Pic Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Put a clod on my scx10 (Pic Heavy)

I'd been dreaming of doing a hard body for my truck for quite some time. I really wanted to build a K5 clod body and tried but i ran out of patience and started skipping some things in the long run the rear cap i made broke off of the body while i was doing some sanding. So i turned my idea towards just finishing it off as a K10 instead. Again i have little patience and i can really understand what some of you guys go thru just to make a good looking scaler build. I like to hurry things along and ended up back stepping a few times in the paint stage but the truck is 90% done now. just a few minor things left to complete. As the title states there will be a lot of pics starting with how i was going to do the K5 and then the switch to the K10.
started with the bare clod

Cut and filled the scoop!

Then i went to building it into a "stretched" K5

lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Put a clod on my scx10 (Pic Heavy)

Some 1.55's for better fit

Old 02-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Literally right after i got the wheels and tires the back broke off so i went to the pickup stage. Finished smoothing the bondo and primed it.

Base color for the stripe

Color

Old 02-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

And comes to the stuff i did today. I did the detail work on the grill and tailgate. I also put chrome trim around the stripe which turned out "OK" the chrome on the grill turned gray :( but over all i like it since its the first time i've attempted this hardbody thing.

Oops no red paint around the house. Quick improvise with red sharpie!

Clear coat

This is how it sits currently. i'm waiting for the clear to 100% cure as well as the shoe goo for my magnetic front mounts which i realized i didn't snap any pictures of. I'll have to get some up to show how i mounted it. I mounted the rear with posts and made a mount for the magnets for the front. I covered the rear pins and clips with a tonneau cover.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

heres my simple mount. Not really sure i needed the lexan under the magnets but it keeps them front flexing and hold the body at the height i wanted.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Can you elaborate on how you did the under truck white light. Great for night time crawling. Gonna be hot in Arizona soon. Would like to build lights like yours for cooler evening running.
Fastyz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm running a 3s lipo so i just made my own circuit like i would for running on a 12v system. I used 6 5mm leds with 6 matching resistors and soldered them on the little boards i get off ebay. Just so happened to be that the holes on the board lined up perfectly with the slider mounts. I'll have to get better pictures of the boards but they're pretty simple. I used to build all my own dome lights in my vehicles this way.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

They work really well on the snow ;)

Put a clod on my scx10 (Pic Heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what motor should i put on my scx10 if its heavy but on a budget. tx crawler Axial SCX-10 15 10-09-2013 10:25 PM
2.2 SCX10-Pic Heavy-Want Suggestions! ProjectSCX10 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 11-10-2012 08:55 AM