Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: the newbie honcho build :o

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: the newbie honcho build :o

i threw the rear driveshaft 10min into my session. the pins were all cracked. otherwise they are fine so i went ahead and rebuilt them. i used body clip pin sections and i pcked up some hardened fishing hooks and cut em to length. this should be wayyyyy less brittle than the stock pins.they were not up to the task of holding the shaft load and they acually were dig into by the shaft ball.

after i was done i saw 2 balls left over and i decided to have some inapropriate fun. it fits the redneck yee yee vibe well.i need tan or blue paint lol

screen grab

i oicked up an RC4WD bumper that fits tight to the body. i shaved back the boxy lower sections and rounded them into more of a slider setup. i am gonna see if my brother can weld a stinger to it. it seems to work ok. i just needed something to stop the body corners from getting hir so much as well as protecting the winch and making ditches and steep inclines easier.

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 10-12-2016 at 10:24 PM.
HaveBlue83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

truck is running very well. esc is great. i got the new tail lights on today. i am also doing some traxxas bearing replacements. the front outers alone tighteded up the front end. i have just been trailing and crawling a bunch. i wanna do a mountain trail run soon. i also wanna get some HD bevel gears as my axles are full of slop.

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 10-17-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

I really thought the wraith was gonna limit my use of the SCX10, but I hardly use the wraith. this is so scale and fun and light and easy. I got the wraith fully sorted and it's neat, but this is my lil mud/trail truck.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Default the newbie honcho build :o

I'm coming in pretty late to your thread. Sweet work with your truck, especially the rear roll cage!

Another option for mounting your battery is to place it sideways across the frame rails. Lower CG than you're currently using, although not as good as the sliders (but keeps them free for other things). I'm using a bracket from Knight customs. You can also mount the stock battery plate to the frame with stock servo mounts -- use the "risers" that attach to the servo as right-angle brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Thloftus; 10-18-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

yeah i almost tried that a few times but the battery higher up means it wont get wet as well as being hidden more. the dinky interior might also not allow it unless its right on the frame rails, and i see water up to them. i only run a 2200mah 3s so its not a huge weight up there. i might try it but its really working for me minus some really steep side approach angles.

but thanks for the pics!

EDIT:
just tinkered and rearranged the rear end some more. movef the soare the the back of the cab and added a sleeping bag and some rope. i ditched the fake gas tank and what was left of the diamondplate section on top. i like it. better balance too. almost truggy. i cant weld or it would be one already. i just like tinkering with it

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 10-19-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
yeah i almost tried that a few times but the battery higher up means it wont get wet as well as being hidden more. the dinky interior might also not allow it unless its right on the frame rails, and i see water up to them. i only run a 2200mah 3s so its not a huge weight up there. i might try it but its really working for me minus some really steep side approach angles.

but thanks for the pics!

EDIT:
just tinkered and rearranged the rear end some more. movef the soare the the back of the cab and added a sleeping bag and some rope. i ditched the fake gas tank and what was left of the diamondplate section on top. i like it. better balance too. almost truggy. i cant weld or it would be one already. i just like tinkering with it

I wondered about conflicts with your interior; good point about keeping your battery out of the water ...

Another option for cages is brazing. It's fairly inexpensive & not much more difficult that soldering.

Was it difficult to "smooth out" the places where you cut the plastic cage? I'd like to try your mod, but have not done anything similar -- afraid I'll make a hack job of it. I currently have a G6 body (came with the kit), but plan to switch to a Honcho or similar.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

id love to get a braizing setup and make a nice slider bar cage for it.

it was easy. just cut off with a dremel and them use a round sanding or metal abrasive wheel and smooth it down, then finish with a file. sliding up on rocks and mud will get it grungy fast. the plastic/polymer is easy to work with....its fun.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
id love to get a braizing setup and make a nice slider bar cage for it.

it was easy. just cut off with a dremel and them use a round sanding or metal abrasive wheel and smooth it down, then finish with a file. sliding up on rocks and mud will get it grungy fast. the plastic/polymer is easy to work with....its fun.

Awesome! Thank you!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

I fully cleaned the Honcho yesterday after some extreme mudding. i havent seen it washed up and clean in awhile lol.

took it out for some rock work after half cutting the tires. i want to get some more aggressive rock tires as the ripsaws i was using for rocks look puny.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #50

What are the rims you have on the last few pic's ?
space069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I have the same question about your rims. Also, how do you like crawling with mudslingers? Nice pictures, btw!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by space069 View Post
What are the rims you have on the last few pic's ?
RC4WD wagon wheels in 5 lug variety with rc4wd disk brake hex adapters that the wheel lugs screw into. i like em but its a pain to assemble lol.

the mudslingers are OK. in dirt and mud and loose sand they rock. i was literally pushing mud with the bumper with them and i didnt get stuck. it was insane lol.

i have done some more tinkering.......i installed the Yeti's radiator and fan setup. its tight. i had to do a battery relocation and make a bracket for the rad out of a section of the rear bed i had. it looks better. im gonna prolly dremel out the actual body vents and put in mesh so its more visible.

EDIT:
just got the grille dremeled out and the rad and fans look awesome! really like how it added realism to the front end:

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 10-23-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

almost listed this for sale online. i broke the driveshaft over the fall and set it aside. i finally got around to putting in metal shafts. a friend told me to go Jun Fuc carbon steel shafts. i did and 3 days later they showed up. i took it out totest it and lets just say i am no longer selling it! its too much fun. i missed it.

my spare tire carrier broke off at the glue joints so no tire for a bit. might leave it off. otherwise the truck is good. i might just do HD bevel gears and a bearing set to refresh it. its been a year now!

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 05-11-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

hello again! over the fall the original trans gears went out on me. the idler middle one sheared apart. i went with some steel ones and today i finally got out in the ok weather for a run. just had to lube the engine shaft and it was good. I've been looking at the TRX4 but they arent cheap and this works fine for trailing. it lives

Old 03-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Love this, good to see a honcho still being used.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

out again for an hour. checkin out my old spots this one is my fav.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

doing great. im gonna put some bluetooth speakersin the cab and play country music inside hahaha

the newbie honcho build :o - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie questions! Just got an SCX10 Honcho. jessAKa907 Axial SCX-10 1 04-20-2014 08:09 PM
newbie build help madix06 General Crawlers 0 08-20-2013 06:47 PM
scx10 honcho rtr..... newbie jhop1 Newbie General 6 11-25-2011 08:39 PM
Newbie Question with THe Honcho Tiger 88 Axial SCX-10 11 10-21-2010 07:55 AM
Newbie Build MatrixTech Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 01-18-2007 04:21 AM