Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SSD Parts on SCX10 ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SSD Parts on SCX10 ???

Evening all...

I recently purchased SSD CVDs and Hot Racing lockers for my SCX10 axles. I'd been running stock lockers and cheaper CVDs for a while but these were showing lots of wear.

The lockers are the orange anodised versions with the grub screws to lock down on the shafts, because I'm using stock axles these had to be installed and locked into place before I put the 2 halves of the axles casing together... Basically I have the axles back together with the CVDs in p,ace but here is my problem.

The c-hubs and knuckles I am running are also old relatively cheap all options from ATees, they're either GPM or TopCad... Not the best quality but have done the job up till now. The issue is that the SSD CVDs have a larger diameter cup around the ball joint and the c-hub won't fit over it... With the old CVDs it was fine but the new ones are 14mm diameter and the inner diameter on the chub is 13mm, I've tried and there is no way they are going on.

I can't fit the chub before the CVD due to the locker design and the need to lock down the screws onto the shaft before I assemble the axle !!!

So, my only option is to try new chubs... I've looked at the SSD chubs and knuckles and really like the look of them but I'm not sure if the inner diameter of the SSD chub will clear the cup. Is any running them and could possibly take a measurement for me? Or maybe Axial chubs?

Karma really as I was going to get the FI spools and didn't because of needing to keep costs down, typically it's looking like I'll need to now spend more money to get things working right !

If needed I'll grab some pics but hopefully I've been descriptive enough

Thanks in advance, Nige
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: SSD Parts on SCX10 ???

The problem with the C hubs is that your cheap parts are not the correct size. SSD CVDs fit inside stock C hubs and SSD C hubs just fine.

You can see images here: http://www.ssd-rc.com/hd-cvd-axles-f...-d60-axle.html

Last edited by SSD; 03-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Location: norcal.. The real NorCal , like 400 miles north of NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
The problem with the C hubs is that your cheap parts are not the correct size. SSD CVDs fit inside stock C hubs and SSD C hubs just fine.

You can see images here: HD CVD Axles for SCX10 / D60 Axle
This is why SSD is quickly becoming my go to brand.....love the quality and the value is what this hobby and dare I say this country was founded on, top notch product and support. THANKS SSD
Yotapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

You can see images here: HD CVD Axles for SCX10 / D60 Axle
Thanks for the reply... ive just submitted a form on your website so feel free to ignore that

So just so we are on the same page, as im not sure if we are... apologies in advance if we are and im being a dumb ass...

The cheap knuckles i have fit onto the CVD fine, the bearing for them is the same size etc and that isnt the problem. The c-hub would also work ok if i didnt need to slide that over the CVD to assemble it. Essentially i would usually assemble the axle, including the c-hubs and then slide the CVDs into the axles and be done.

But, because of the design of the lockers i am using, i have to assemble the locker, gears and CVDs in 1 half of the axles case, then the 2nd half before adding the c-hubs... so the CVDs are hanging out of the axle but i cant get the c-hub over the larger diameter of the CVD "cup".

I could possibly bore out the inner diameter of the c-hub so it slides over but this risks weakening the c-hub.

If the SSD c-hubs have an inner diameter (the collar that slides onto the axle casing) that will clear the CVD im sorted and making my order.

I'll get some pictures when i get home as that will make everything crystal clear but hopefully that makes sense now...

Thanks, Nige
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Oh, and thanks for the responses guys... its very much appreciated and id hoped you guys would be along to help me
Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ok... so this is the axles as i have had to build it...

As i mentioned, because of the design of the locker and having to lock the CVD in place with grub screws i cannot install the CVD and do this with the 2 halves of the stock axle in place.

This is the c-hub which wont then slide over the CVD because of the difference in size of the "cup"

As ive said, if the inner diameter of the SSD c-hub is big enough to clear the CVD im on to a winner !
Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
SSD
RCC Addict

I understand what you mean now. You are just trying to assemble it all in the wrong order.
This won't work with any brand c hubs. The locker you are trying to use was probably designed for the Wraith axle where the diff cover is removable and you can fit the set screws after fitting the C hubs and CVDs in the correct order. You can't do it like this with a stock SCX10 axle case.

However, you can with these: D60 Axle Case for SCX10

With the D60s you can install in this order:
Gear with locker
C hubs
CVDs
Set screws
Diff cover

Last edited by SSD; 03-16-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the response... had a feeling this might be the case and yes, the locker was designed for the Wraith where the axles cover can be removed...

I'm assuming there is no easy way to take the CVD apart ? So i could remove the end, fit the c-hub and then re assemble? Like with Axial or VP CVDs
Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post

I'm assuming there is no easy way to take the CVD apart ? So i could remove the end, fit the c-hub and then re assemble? Like with Axial or VP CVDs
Yes you could do that. I wouldn't recommend it. It would be a pain when you want to disassemble.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post
Thanks for the response... had a feeling this might be the case and yes, the locker was designed for the Wraith where the axles cover can be removed...

What about drilling an access hole in your housing to tighten the locker down after assembly. Thats what the guys used to do with the OG Eggressor lockers.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You put the chub's on then slide in the cvd's
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post

read what's been posted before blurting out an answer that isn't going to work
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post
What about drilling an access hole in your housing to tighten the locker down after assembly.
It's probably very difficult to tighten/unscrew blind when everything is together.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
read what's been posted before blurting out an answer that isn't going to work
Sorry, I don't recommend purchasing grub screw lockers (Ever) especially with split axle cases.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sorry, I don't recommend purchasing grub screw lockers (Ever) especially with split axle cases.
I'm not a fan of the set/grub lockers either, I'm going with the Locked-Up spools if I can stop buying tires and wheels.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #16

Just buy the SSD axle housings. The diff cover is removable, which would let you run the set screw style locker. Plus they look much better then the stock SCX10 axle housings.
RayBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Both of the suggestions would solve your issue, either the locked up spool or the SSD housings. I happen to be running both on my k30 build I'm in the middle of now.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yes, for the reasons I detailed in the opening post... and yes, I know that's not how to build the axles

Guys... thanks for all the suggestions... ive managed to get everything sorted by taking the CVD apart while in place in the axle then installing the c-hub and then reassembling the CVD. Granted, not the best solution or way of doing things, but with the parts I have in front of me, it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
I'm not a fan of the set/grub lockers either, I'm going with the Locked-Up spools if I can stop buying tires and wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
Just buy the SSD axle housings. The diff cover is removable, which would let you run the set screw style locker. Plus they look much better then the stock SCX10 axle housings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Both of the suggestions would solve your issue, either the locked up spool or the SSD housings. I happen to be running both on my k30 build I'm in the middle of now.
The one thing I didn't go into, although I did mention it in the opening post, was that this is by no means a big money build. I've had this same truck for going on 3 years now, it and a Slash are my only RCs and I don't have the disposable cash to buy the latest or greatest parts, although I wish I could. I've had to make do with what I could afford and have tried to upgrade as things they have broken. So yes, given the choice I would be running SSD axles with all the trimmings, FI spools and every other bullet proof option going...

Being based in the UK doesn't help either as everything that's any good (over Axial option parts which are crazy money) has to be imported which although the initial part cost isn't too bad, with shipping and the risk of import duty, things can get expensive.

Anyway, enough of my doom and gloom, I'm honestly not being pissy, I'm just trying to say thanks but add some context to the reasons I chose the parts I did and the resulting work around needed. What I will say is this is the best RC forum I use so thanks for the inspiration and supportive threads. I'll also add that the SSD range of parts look to not only be very well priced, but a much better quality than anything else at a similar price bracket and I can guarantee that more of their parts will be making it onto my truck as and when I can. Its just a shame that they cant be bought more easily in the UK.

Cheers, Nige

Last edited by n_d_fox; 03-17-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Do whatever works Nige, in all reality you really shouldn't need to split the case very often anyway. Every now and then to replace bearings of re-grease the pinion and diff, but that's about it.

As a side note you will like the SSD CVD's, I am running those along with the D60 housings and CMS kit on my Ground up Honcho Build and they are very nice. I have pictures on my thread, but I am getting some crazy steering angles out of it, within a few millimeters of hitting the lower links with the tires at full lock and I do not think I have maxed out the CVD angles, just my servo at 120% epa with a long arm on it! I do not have a lot of time on them yet, but if they hold up to a Tekin Pro4 3300kv on 3s then they should be golden...
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD Parts on SCX10 ??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD SCX10 axle housings STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX-10 1394 03-10-2023 08:34 AM
SCX10 Deadbolt SSD-RC Build northernerbill Axial SCX-10 69 12-19-2015 01:09 PM
SSD - Wraith Axle Option Parts SSD Axial Wraith 60 04-17-2015 09:31 PM
SSD-RC SCX10 Deadbolt build northernerbill 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 12-30-2014 02:46 PM