Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SSD Axles Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SSD Axles Parts

Bit the bullet on the SSD components and got this finished. Now running overdrive axial gears, HR locker, SSD CVDs, brass beef tubes, SSD chubs and knuckles, SSD titanium link, the rc4wd faux damper and 6mm locking hexes. Oh and the Savox 1210sg

Temp steering horn until i find a nicer stubby one... the knuckles take the steering links up higher than the stock or ones i was running before. Just chopped down one of the plastic ones out the Savox box for now
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SSD Axles Parts

Looks slick, like the gunmetal c's and knuck's. Keeping the servo on the axle? or any plans to move it to the chassis? I bought the ssd axle because it comes with a panhard mount, and the whole axle is only $5 more than just the VP panhard mount for the stock axle.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm really impressed with the parts, the fit n finish is spot on...

Re the servo... i'm thinking i may need to look at a CMS setup because built as above, there is very little steering throw and the faux steering damper binds up. I've replaced that now with the shorter link from the SSD kit and am playing around with position to see if i can get it working as it should.

The main problem is the knuckles raise the main link higher so there is less room for a servo horn. The plastic one I've chopped up for now isnt giving enough throw but i cant work out how anything that short will be an improvement or how anything longer will work. If anyone has any ideas please give them up.

Thanks, Nige
Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
SSD
RCC Addict

If you push the long tie rod down so it rotates down a bit you will have plent of space for the normal length servo horn.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
If you push the long tie rod down so it rotates down a bit you will have plent of space for the normal length servo horn.
I was hoping you'd be along

When you say normal servo horn... are you talking about an Axial part? I'm sure I've got a spare plastic one in my parts box but the aluminium one i have been running previously (name unknown) is a little longer and even with the main link pushed down as you mentioned, there isnt room for it...

I'll dig out a stock horn and see how that sits.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
SSD
RCC Addict

Yes I mean a stock Axial one which I think is about the normal length of 20mm (hole to hole).
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Yes I mean a stock Axial one which I think is about the normal length of 20mm (hole to hole).
Couldn't put my hands on the stock horn but remembered that id changed the steering setup on my Slash so 5 minutes later..

I'll need to adjust the limits on the servo as the short link does catch at almost full lock (the servo still have some throw to go at this point)...

That's more steering angle than i was getting with the old setup though so im really happy with that.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey try to turn your horn around and mount the link behind it so its between the horn and servo. That may stop it from hitting the servo when you turn to the right. Maybe not tho i cant tell from the pics

Last edited by 351Beno; 04-04-2016 at 08:46 AM.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Beno View Post
Hey try to turn your horn around and mount the link behind it so its between the horn and servo. That may stop it from hitting the servo when you turn to the right. Maybe not tho i cant tell from the pics
So have the short link mount to the rear face of the servo horn?

I tried that and the link then catches on the servo casing before it reaches the level of steering angle im getting above.

I think aside from moving to a CMS setup, this is the best steering im going to get with this for now. Unless anyone knows of a lower profile horn to move the link back slightly so it doesnt catch the main link at centre.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Could you not add spacers between the servo plate and the axle? I done that on my scx10 when the servo was on the axle, held up for +2 years then I changed to cms
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was going to suggest trying an Ofna servo horn, but that appears to be one of them.

They pull the steering link back behind the drag link a little, about 5-6mm back. They're low profile horns designed for the Ofna buggy's, but I'm using them on my Wraith.

Part numbers for anyone else interested in them.
Ofna part 10774 for the Hitec/24 tooth spline
Ofna part 10776 for the Futaba/25 tooth spline

Ofna part on the rear of the Wraith, the horn is off-set towards the servo and sits further down on the spline so it's closer to the servo case than the Axial horn.

The Ofna horn above replaced Axial aluminum horn that was previously on the rear of the Wraith, both shown on the same Tactic TSX55 servo.

Last edited by Soldat Vaillant; 04-04-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post
Could you not add spacers between the servo plate and the axle? I done that on my scx10 when the servo was on the axle, held up for +2 years then I changed to cms
Hadnt even thought of that... excellent idea to give me a bit of height
Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nevermind…
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post
So have the short link mount to the rear face of the servo horn?

I tried that and the link then catches on the servo casing before it reaches the level of steering angle im getting above...
This is how I run the axle mounted high steer setup on my Honcho, works great wtih VP ti linkage. You may have to tinker with everything to get it so it doesn't rub servo or anything, I had to reduce the bend in the tie rod which gave added benefit of slight toe out for even more steering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post
Great idea, Duuuuuuude sells a Dewanger servo plate to move the steering servo back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
I was going to suggest trying an Ofna servo horn, but that appears to be one of them.

They pull the steering link back behind the drag link a little, about 5-6mm back. They're low profile horns designed for the Ofna buggy's, but I'm using them on my Wraith.

Part numbers for anyone else interested in them.
Ofna part 10774 for the Hitec/24 tooth spline
Ofna part 10776 for the Futaba/25 tooth spline

Ofna part on the rear of the Wraith, the horn is off-set towards the servo and sits further down on the spline so it's closer to the servo case than the Axial horn.
Very nice servo horns, thanks! Too many servo horns do the opposite of this making clearance even worse.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
This is how I run the axle mounted high steer setup on my Honcho, works great with VP ti linkage. You may have to tinker with everything to get it so it doesn't rub servo or anything, I had to reduce the bend in the tie rod which gave added benefit of slight toe out for even more steering!
Any pics of this setup?

Think I'm going to try raising the servo plate by 2-3mm to give me the clearance I need. Seems the simplest idea to try first off. That should allow me to use the lower hole on the servo horn too which should increase throw.

That plate from Duuuuuuude sounds interesting too although i think like most I'll be moving to CMS at some point in the future... I've also got my eyes on a GSpeed chassis as well.

Its true what they say though, a build is never actually finished, certainly not when you have 1 rig to play with !
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Whats better, chassis or axle mounted servo?
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Depends on what your goals are. Chassis mounted is more scale, axle mounted is simpler.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
The only benefit to a chassis mounted servo is scale appearance. There are no performance gains with a CMS and you can lose articulation, lift and servo throw. The axle mounted servo is simply, allows maximum servo throw and is unaffected by suspension travel.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post
Any pics of this setup?
Yes, all my different setups are here:
Natedog's Honcho kit build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
On SCX10 axle mounted is better, after I went to CMS the chassis is too flexible, not enough cross-members etc, and I started breaking more front axle parts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
The only benefit to a chassis mounted servo is scale appearance. There are no performance gains with a CMS and you can lose articulation, lift and servo throw. The axle mounted servo is simply, allows maximum servo throw and is unaffected by suspension travel.
X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #20

I also used the SSD knuckles & Chubs & really liked them. I put spacers under the servo to raise it up so I could use a longer servo horn to get the full steering thro. I also machined back the stock axles & recut the insides to get full steering. The dog bones don't hit before anything else. Looks nice!
Naz53 is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD Axles Parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Parts on SCX10 ??? n_d_fox Axial SCX-10 20 03-17-2016 12:07 PM
Who stocks ssd axles nwcrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-17-2016 10:51 AM
SSD Axles GravelDuster Axial SCX-10 2 12-19-2015 10:10 AM