Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Scx10 ii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx10 ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
just read a bullet that says backwards compatible to scx. what exactly does that mean?
Suspect that means that you could go old school with the trans?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #202
RCC Addict

Quote:
just read a bullet that says backwards compatible to scx. what exactly does that mean?
Hopefully means that all the dimensions for the parts are the same, so we can use current SCX10 aftermarket parts? Ring and pinion being the exception, maybe all the current SCX10 axle parts will fit like knuckles, chubs, axle shafts and lock outs?
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #203

Pre-ordered mine with super saver club as well. I have a Wraith and this will be my first SCX. I also have a '97 XJ that looks VERY similar to the Currie one so I'm even more stoked about that. Since it appears to be a kit I can even paint it black to match my jeep too :-D.
CaptMatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Just pre-ordered mine, $305 shipped. $45 off with Tower Super Savers Club discount code.

I will be selling the body straight away and using my Chinese hard body XJ instead.

Attachment 343095
I'll take it. Lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #205
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I'd like them to include a radio with an extra channel on it. It'd be great for the guys that want to add a winch later on.
They already do, the tactic radio does that.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
OK first guy to complain about the price ^^^^ LOL

How can you determine that the price is too high? We really don't even know what the kit consists of as of yet to really make that determination.
Easy. You look at the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Did you ever consider that this re-design was engineered to be an evolution on an already great product, rather than a revolution? In regards to accuracy, there's a lot of plusses here that outweigh the minuses, whatever you perceive those to be. It's actually refreshing to see a company not try to completely re-invent the wheel, leave room for tinkerers and builders, while making a truck that's sure to perform very well bone-stock.

HPI's truck is vaporware, and while it had a divorced transfer case and a front mounted trans, what else did it have that this doesn't? Never mind it's an actual release.

Leaving room for the aftermarket is probably one of Axial's greatest strengths, so where you might see a flaw or shortcoming, the aftermarket guys are chomping at the bit to get started on new designs that will keep everyone employed!

There's a lot of good happening here (new axle designs, smaller pumpkins, CMS, revised chassis design, new wheels, tires, pretty robust trans with a lower CoG, front battery mount, universals, more steering) and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, but you seriously can't believe everything you just typed.

"It's actually refreshing to see a company not try to completely re-invent the wheel, leave room for tinkerers and builders..."
OK in that case why didn't they just give us the same old SCX10 and continue to let guys modify the hell out of them in order to make them perform? Have you seen a ToyZuki in action? It crawls like a mountain goat. Or better yet, by your thinking why don't they just sell chassis rails and make customers piece together and scratch build everything like back in the day? The truth is most of us were looking for a game changer. I'm willing to bet this isn't it.

"HPI's truck is vaporware, and while it had a divorced transfer case and a front mounted trans, what else did it have that this doesn't?" I know this truck doesn't exist. I alluded to that when I said HPI went south. But the front motor and divorced transfer case is a huge change not a minor detail. Acting like it's a minor detail that the SCX10 II doesn't have is just ridiculous.

"Leaving room for the aftermarket is probably one of Axial's greatest strengths..."
That's hilarious. Leaving room for the aftermarket is basically saying their products have bad designs or weak spots that need upgrading. This goes back to my original point that Axial needs new engineers.

"There's a lot of good happening here..."
All of the things you listed exist. There is nothing ground breaking here except maybe the axles. The Ascender has axles that are a great size, but they introduce more torque twist into the truck. If Axial can combat torque twist it will be a game changer for axles. But the "scale" square pumpkin covers crack me up. It looks hideous. The Ascender axles look much better.

Sounds like you're either drinking the Axial Kool-Aid or you're trying to convince yourself that this mediocrity is acceptable. I'm not. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong if this truck blows us away in the real world, but I'm not expecting that.

Quote:
everything but that god aweful bulky transmission is awesome. call me crazy but i think it would have been a better rig with the 'old' scx tranny in there.
Exactly! I agree 100%. Most people are going to ditch the massive tranny for something small like the current one. Then it's basically going to be the same old SCX10.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

I'm hoping to see a flood of first gen scx10s hit Craigslist when this thing drops.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I'm hoping to see a flood of first gen scx10s hit Craigslist when this thing drops.
I don't know about Craig's List, but used SCX10s are everywhere online.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, but you seriously can't believe everything you just typed.
Actually, I do believe everything I just typed. And will happily defend myself. Let's have a friendly chat.

Quote:
OK in that case why didn't they just give us the same old SCX10 and continue to let guys modify the hell out of them in order to make them perform? Have you seen a ToyZuki in action? It crawls like a mountain goat. Or better yet, by your thinking why don't they just sell chassis rails and make customers piece together and scratch build everything like back in the day? The truth is most of us were looking for a game changer. I'm willing to bet this isn't it.
People would cry foul if all they did was release the tried and true, unchanged SCX10. That's a funny thought, but come on, obviously something new had to be offered. Toyzuki's definitely are a great platform, but we're talking about a much larger market here with the SCX10. Tons and tons of these are bought, built, and modified by all sorts of people - so it makes sense to offer a kit that has all of these substantial upgrades over their previous generation. No? I'd like to know what you'd want to see in a game changer, honestly. What feature beyond a divorced transfer case and forward mounted trans would change the game for you?

Quote:
I know this truck doesn't exist. I alluded to that when I said HPI went south. But the front motor and divorced transfer case is a huge change not a minor detail. Acting like it's a minor detail that the SCX10 II doesn't have is just ridiculous.
I know you know. It is a minor detail for most customers - and leaving the door open to aftermarket is just fine with me, I like supporting people who are willing to do things differently to give scale comp guys exactly what they need. Again, Axial's looking to sell to a broad market, and for probably 85% of their sales, those folks could give less than two cares about forward mounted motors for the sake of reliability in their toy truck.

Quote:
That's hilarious. Leaving room for the aftermarket is basically saying their products have bad designs or weak spots that need upgrading. This goes back to my original point that Axial needs new engineers.
Disagree quite heartily on that point. Axial does not bite the hand that feeds. Think of all the aftermarket support there is, that's a lot of mom & pop businesses that rely on the small add-ons they can create. Kits sell parts and parts sell kits. Always work with your partners rather than alienate them. It's not shortcomings - or bad engineers.

Quote:
All of the things you listed exist. There is nothing ground breaking here except maybe the axles. The Ascender has axles that are a great size, but they introduce more torque twist into the truck. If Axial can combat torque twist it will be a game changer for axles. But the "scale" square pumpkin covers crack me up. It looks hideous. The Ascender axles look much better.
Sure they exist, but not all on an SCX10 out of the box for $349. I'm sure the engineers did their homework and figured out torque twist, probably with where that pinion sits on the axle...

This:

Looks better than this?

I dunno man, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Sounds like you're either drinking the Axial Kool-Aid or you're trying to convince yourself that this mediocrity is acceptable. I'm not. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong if this truck blows us away in the real world, but I'm not expecting that.
I fail to see where any of this is mediocre. Aside from a front mount motor and divorced transfer case - which again, only really matters to comp guys, this is a pretty darn good evolution of an already amazing platform. Yeah, Axial and I have a good relationship, there's no doubt about that, and I'm willing to defend them when I think it's warranted, but I'd never stand behind something that I didn't think was an awesome release.

Once you and I actually get one on the trails/rocks/mudpit/TTC/etc. and actually see how it performs, let's just agree to disagree.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #210
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know about Craig's List, but used SCX10s are everywhere online.
I'm well aware, but a large number of them all getting dumped online at once will drive the prices down. I've been wanting to build a 6x6 rig for a while.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #211
I wanna be Dave

I'm loving what I see so far. Did I miss it somewhere, but has a wheelbase been mentioned yet?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Bil, you gotta get one so we can build these together too.

I'm guessing 12.3 but it hasn't been posted anywhere yet.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #213
Rock Stacker

It's available for preorder already? Where? I don't see it. When is it coming out?
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Looks like RPP and Tower have them for preorder so far. ETA says early June.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #215
RCC Addict

Talked to a buddy who attended. XJ body is 12.3"
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #216
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I'd like to know what you'd want to see in a game changer, honestly. What feature beyond a divorced transfer case and forward mounted trans would change the game for you?
The CMS, axles and universals are awesome, but I was really hoping for a C channel chassis with some more clearance over the axles. I'd love to put the ar44's on my C2
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #217
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Leaving room for aftermarket and improvements does not mean bad engineering, it means offering a quality product at the right price point to encourage strong sales. I don't care how much engineering goes into a $300 kit, there is no way to offer aftermarket quality at that price. If this was a $1000 kit, there would be a very poor aftermarket following from either lack of sales or "too high" of quality out of the box. But who wants to spend that much on a kit to get chromoly and 7075 or grade 5 ti parts? Maybe you don't need anything better than what the $300 kit offers anyway, and it is up to the buyer to spend the next $700 of upgrades that Axial didn't force down their throat.

Looks like they are moving in the right direction. I really like what I'm seeing!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #218
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Talked to a buddy who attended. XJ body is 12.3"
By any chance did they see a 2d interior? I can't tell from all the pics posted.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #219
RCC Addict

I just know....well....that I want one and will buy one. My DD is a 2001 XJ, so of course I need a RC version!

HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #220
Quarry Creeper

dangit, I was all set on buying the Baja Rey TT, now this has me re-thinking that purchase. I said I wouldn't jump on the Axial Brandwagon, but I like this re-design.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 ii - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd trailfinder 2 axial scx10 hilux scx10 rubicon jeep TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 03-08-2016 07:11 AM
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM