Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: STRC CMS kit and aluminum upgrades in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #1

Default STRC CMS kit and aluminum upgrades in general

Hi everybody, been a lurker for a little while soaking up as much as I can. Today I have a question.
I've been looking at some of the STRC aluminum upgrades particularly the CMS. Has anyone tried it, and what do they think about it? It looks alright and a pretty straight forward design, wondering if I should get this or the RC4WD one.
Also how are the STRC parts in general on the SCX10? I have some on Traxxas Rustler and I they have worked pretty good for me.
Heres a link to the CMS
CNC Machined Aluminum Off-Axle Servo Mount/Panhard + STA30516 Steering Combo Kit for SCX10 (Black)
wacmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: STRC CMS kit and aluminum upgrades in general

The thing that bothered me about that kit when I was looking at CMS was the attachment to the knuckle spindle. No idea if it actually affects steering, just seemed like unnecessary stress on a vital component.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Okay, I see what you mean now. The RC4WD comes with its own panhard bar mount, I'm thinking thats the better option now.
Anyone know if the RC4WD CMS panhard kit can be installed with a 4 link set-up in the front?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You don't need a pan hard if you 4-link, unless your links aren't triangulated.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

CHASSIS MOUNTED SERVO KIT
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacmartin View Post
Okay, I see what you mean now. The RC4WD comes with its own panhard bar mount, I'm thinking thats the better option now.
Anyone know if the RC4WD CMS panhard kit can be installed with a 4 link set-up in the front?
Yes, but you will have bad bump steering. The panhard rod and the steering link will be parallel to each other which will prevent bump steer. Check out my video on this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaqEsVggUE
Fastyz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
You don't need a pan hard if you 4-link, unless your links aren't triangulated.
I guess I'm going to have to look into this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Sold out here in Canada on the GCM site I'll have to look out those stores you sell at in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastyz400 View Post
Yes, but you will have bad bump steering. The panhard rod and the steering link will be parallel to each other which will prevent bump steer. Check out my video on this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaqEsVggUE
Like I said I have a lot to learn then. I'll watch the video, and see if I understand it.

Okay I watched the video, I don't really understand. I know what bump steer is and it's caused by a bad suspension angle, but why would a 4 link and panhard bar cause that.

Last edited by wacmartin; 05-22-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Sold out here in Canada on the GCM site I'll have to look out those stores you sell at in Canada.

Like I said I have a lot to learn then. I'll watch the video, and see if I understand it.

Okay I watched the video, I don't really understand. I know what bump steer is and it's caused by a bad suspension angle, but why would a 4 link and panhard bar cause that.

Because, when you have your steering mounted on the chassis, you suspension travel has to be in an arc type of travel. Watch the video again. Now pay attention to the shocks when i press down. Watch how the shocks sway. If, i had 4 link, it will not allow the arc type of motion, thus causing bump steer.

Imagine if you hold a pencil by the eraser. Now when the lead tip moves up and down. Notice the arc. The panhard rod is basically allowing the suspension to travel in the same arc as the steering. This, causing no bump steer.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #9

Thank you, I understand that now. So basically if it's not in a smooth arc, when the suspension travels it's going to cause the wheels to pull or push and create bump steer. So with a CMS and a 4 link it's almost like the suspension is flailing around in sense, not crazily but any small amount well create bump steer.
I'm going to go with some new aluminum upper links and a CMS panhard set up. Now to choose which one.
BTW I really like how smooth your suspension travel is. I'm slightly hard of hearing and YouTube captions are terrible at best, so I missed what kind of shock mounts you have. If you don't mind telling me what they're please?

Last edited by wacmartin; 05-22-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you, I understand that now. So basically if it's not in a smooth arc, when the suspension travels it's going to cause the wheels to pull or push and create bump steer. So with a CMS and a 4 link it's almost like the suspension is flailing around in sense, not crazily but any small amount well create bump steer.
I'm going to go with some new aluminum upper links and a CMS panhard set up. Now to choose which one.
BTW I really like how smooth your suspension travel is. I'm slightly hard of hearing and YouTube captions are terrible at best, so I missed what kind of shock mounts you have. If you don't mind telling me what they're please?
Think of the pencil. The eraser is attached to the servo horn. The other end is attached to the steering. Now when the suspension compresses, it wants to arc. The 4 link will not allow it to arc. Thus, you will have bump steer.

Yes, now you understand. A 4 link setup is very good at keeping the suspension traveling in the Y axis. Meaning straight up and down. And if you add a panhard rod to a 4 link, it will bind like crazy. Because, the panhard wants to arc as the suspension goes up and down. But, the 4 link won't let it arc. That is why, when you do a panhard rod. You have to remove one of the upper links to the axle.

The panhard does 2 things.:
1. Keeps the axle from going from side to side. Also, Acts like the 4th link.
2. Allow for a smooth arc for the steering, thus preventing bump steer.

Any adjustable shock mount will work. You can get both front and rears.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-rea...8AAOSwZSFXJFAj

These are the ones that I have. The reason for these, they also include an aluminum cross brace.

Rear Shock mounts
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Axi...d=117777&pid=1

Front Shock mounts
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Axi...d=117776&pid=1

Last edited by Fastyz400; 05-22-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hi everybody, been a lurker for a little while soaking up as much as I can. Today I have a question.
I've been looking at some of the STRC aluminum upgrades particularly the CMS. Has anyone tried it, and what do they think about it? It looks alright and a pretty straight forward design, wondering if I should get this or the RC4WD one.
Also how are the STRC parts in general on the SCX10? I have some on Traxxas Rustler and I they have worked pretty good for me.
Heres a link to the CMS
CNC Machined Aluminum Off-Axle Servo Mount/Panhard + STA30516 Steering Combo Kit for SCX10 (Black)
Honestly, I looked at the STRC before I decided to go with the rc4wd. I didn't like how the STRC panhard rod mounts to the top of the c-hub.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Since you're familiar with GCM, check out Chris's own CMS and panhard components. I have them on my class 1.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

STRC CMS kit and aluminum upgrades in general - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STRC CMS Opinions ShoNuff82 Axial Wraith 0 11-29-2014 05:11 PM
STRC CMS Panhard kit BallnM3 Axial Wraith 7 03-10-2014 08:08 AM
General order of upgrades... SgtVeXX Newbie General 9 02-19-2010 03:29 AM