Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The "Cheap stuff that actually works well" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: The "Cheap stuff that actually works well" Thread

what i have been doing for a bit now as far as esc go i am on a mostly racing forum so i buy their used esc off them for a fraction of the price i have gotten 2 teken rs esc for 50 bucks each its not new but for a crawler it works perfect. but i also picked up a gcm trans case for a wraith off amazon for 10 bucks it was very good quality
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S. View Post
LW-20 MG is all I can find right now, it just sacrifices a little torque for waterproofing. Ordered it at valuehobby - same place as link.
I'm getting ready to order one, but I haven't definitively seen the splines for a servo horn is.

Thanks!
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
I'm getting ready to order one, but I haven't definitively seen the splines for a servo horn is.

Thanks!
They take 25T servo horns.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #44

Any recommendations for lights? Hopefully both for in front and for "rock lights"
cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
Just remember though, there are poor people in australia too so china deals will sometimes help us
Not to mention Mongolia!
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer View Post
Any recommendations for lights? Hopefully both for in front and for "rock lights"
Ebay, Banggood, and HobbyKing.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #47

I ran plenty of the Traxxas 550 motors in my trucks until Holmes Hobbies put out the "Trailmaster 21t Sport 550". They are $19.99 on RPP right now. Great torque and speed. I run mine on 3S. The only issue you might run into is clearance because of the longer motor can. Just depends on the rest of your set up.
JasperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperCrawler View Post
I ran plenty of the Traxxas 550 motors in my trucks until Holmes Hobbies put out the "Trailmaster 21t Sport 550". They are $19.99 on RPP right now. Great torque and speed. I run mine on 3S. The only issue you might run into is clearance because of the longer motor can. Just depends on the rest of your set up.
On an Scx10 ii, you'll need to shave a little off here:
Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Thanks for starting this thread! I've also had great luck with the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060; also the Traxxas 3760 shocks are awesome and only $12 for a pair -- but maybe not as good a value as the aluminum Traxxas big bores listed above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do the 3760's leak and are they smooth?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 12-10-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Do the 3760's leak and are they smooth?

They are smooth and I haven’t seen any leaks. Pretty awesome overall and easy to build. No complaints at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
They are smooth and I haven’t seen any leaks. Pretty awesome overall and easy to build. No complaints at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice! They're plastic bodies but cheaper because of that. ;)
Old 12-13-2017, 04:54 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Hey guys. Over the last few months I have gotten back into scalers, and have built a couple of rigs. They were both budget oriented, and I learned a lot about what cheap parts and upgrades work well for the cost, and which don't. I wanted to share what I found, and also open this thread to suggestions. I will update the thread as new stuff is shared. The entire goal will be to have a list of budget stuff that works well to share with community. Here is what I have found that is ULTRA cheap, but works surprisingly well:

Brushed ESCs

Hobbywing Quicrun 1060
This ESC is almost identical to the Axial AE-5. It is simple to use, waterproof, small, features adjustable drag brake and instant forward/reverse. A great all around ESC that will run happily on 3S. These are commonly in the low $20 range!

Brushed Motors

Gool RC rebuildable brushed motor
These motors are LESS money than many sealed can NON-rebuildable motors. These motors have bearings rather than bushings, and have great control and torque. They will not perform quite as well as top-dollar motors, but for the low cost of $11 on average, you can't beat them! They come in many winds from 27t up to 55T.

Yeah Racing Hackmoto V2
I have owned both the Hackmoto and the GoolRC motor above, and they are VERY similar. Not quite identical, but VERY similar. The Hackmoto seems to have a slightly higher quality of parts overall, but the 2 motors share many of the same parts. Either way, if you want to spend a bit more on a name brand motor, the Yeah Racing Hackmoto might be for you. It looks a good bit nicer than the GoolRC as well. These are commonly in the $20 range from various sellers.

Servos

PowerHD LF-20MG
These servos pack a tremendous amount of torque for the money. They are rated at 277 oz/in at 6V. I have run these on rigs as big as E-Revos and they deliver! The only con I have for these is the servo travel seems to be a tiny bit less than other brands. But for a budget servo in the $20-25 range, you will have a hard time beating these. There is also the LW-20MG model that is waterproof for a couple of dollars more.

Towerpro MG-958
These servos are rated almost identically to the PowerHD, have a nice aluminum heatsink, and also have stout metal-geared construction. These look to have tremendous value for the cost, and should work very well for most 1.9 applications. Commonly found for under $20 delivered.

BEC

Hobbywing 5V/6V
This is a $7 BEC! And it is adjustable for either 5V or 6V with a jumper. It is rated for 3A, with bursts up to 5A. This is a GREAT upgrade for under $10. Paired with the PowerHD servo above, you have a stout combination that is VERY easy on the wallet. I have had great luck with these on 3S lipo, but I did have one fail on 5S lipo. They are rated for up to 6S lipo, but I am betting up to 3S is the safest route to go.

C-hubs

SkyQ 11 Degree Aluminum C-hub
I really can't say enough about these. I got mine for $9 shipped. They fit great, work great, and look decent. The machining on the outside isn't the greatest, but they fit the axles perfectly. This is a common weak point for the original SCX10, and for $9 you can't beat it. These are a higher caster angle at 11 degrees. This allows you to clock your axle to improve the pinion angle, while retaining proper caster angle. Even if you don't clock your axles, these are a HUGE upgrade for $9.

Beef Tubes / Axle Weights

Hot Racing Brass Axle Weights
I recently installed these, and instantly noticed a HUGE improvement in climbing performance. These fit inside your stock axle housings and give you plenty of weight down low. I got mine for $18, and they were worth every penny. The ONLY thing I don't like is that the C-hubs don't thread into these. Other than that, I feel it's by far the cheapest route to getting unsprung weight down low, without weighing your wheels down.

That's all I have for now. Please share your ultra budget parts in the comments below!
This is a great reference for new guys like me. Thank you! I just ordered this Hobbywing BEC based on your recommendations, because I will run a metal gear waterproof JX servo on my V2 ECX Barrage kit. I hope this is the right one https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-R...53.m2749.l2649, but for less than $3, not a bad deal.

-MP
Old 12-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
This is a great reference for new guys like me. Thank you! I just ordered this Hobbywing BEC based on your recommendations, because I will run a metal gear waterproof JX servo on my V2 ECX Barrage kit. I hope this is the right one https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-R...53.m2749.l2649, but for less than $3, not a bad deal.

-MP
I had that BEC in a plane for a couple years with no issues. It was running the receiver and 4 standard servos. I'm sure if it's just running your receiver, servo, and maybe a light kit, you'll be just fine. Heck, it would probably handle a little more than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Thanks law man. I just ordered another to run on my son's ECX Amp BTD kit, which will have a 20A (5VBEC) ESC/receiver unit, and will run a high-voltage Savox waterproof servo. For $3, I can't go wrong. I just wonder how long they will take to get to me...
Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Concerning the PowerHD servo, I've heard the 23kg version comes with full metal gear instead of brass, can anyone confirm this ?
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #56

Brass is metal ..

But anyway, what you meant is the gear uses titanium and steel - that is true!

Roland
rbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbspeed View Post
Brass is metal ..

Roland
There's one in every crowd.

Good to know they're tougher. Will probably use one (or two in tandem) when I get to my 1/6 build in the spring.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbspeed View Post
And by "titanium" they mean titanium coated aluminum.

No servos actually use solid titanium gears, especially not $40 ones.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Anyone find decent affordable cvd’s?
I see lots of black w/red ring cvd’s that look identical that range from just under $10 to about $40 on ebay. I’m suspicious that they could last long at that price. Only running a 45t motor on 7.2/7.4v.
Any good finds?
rj_dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a cheap set that came in my Xtra Speed SCX10 axles. They're holding up well, have good turn radius, and are smooth at full lock in both directions.

Since I only paid about $105 for the set of complete axles, I'd say they're equivalent to the price range you gave.

The "Cheap stuff that actually works well" Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things changing for Don aka "Billet Works" billet works Chit Chat 27 09-16-2009 06:46 PM