Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: I May Have Gone Overboard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Default I May Have Gone Overboard

As the topic says I may have gone a little overboard as of lately...pardon the lengthy post as well.

To begin with, I've never owned an RC car/truck other than a Big Bubba Nikko monster truck that I got for Christmas about 30 years ago. My son was born 3 years ago and last year for his birthday (I think) someone got him a cheap little RC Jeep. Well he isn't very good with sharing (we are working on that) so I jumped online looking for a cheap RC crawler-type vehicle. Somehow I came across an Exceed MaxStone 10, which for $150'ish, I felt it was worth buying and toying around. The car worked fine for me and I used it some but ended up a little bored with it. The Exceed just didn't seem like my style of car.

Again...to the old interweb...and I came across this site. After looking at all of the awesome rigs on here, I decided I needed to convert this MaxStone into a scale truck. I first ordered a Proline F250 body and Honcho bed. I realized very quickly that this wasn't going to work out very well. So I looked around on eBay for an Axial frame and ended up with a "Dingo/Honcho" frame. While searching for the frame I came across a NIB Trail Honcho RTR, which after a very short debate I clicked the "Buy It Now" button. So all of a sudden I went from one cheap meh RC to two RC's.

My frame came in first so I dove right in and tore the MaxStone apart. I read a thread about building my own links and hit the hardware store for the necessary parts. I also stopped by a couple of hobby shops and bought the rod ends as well. My plan was to put the F250 body on the Honcho and put the Honcho body on the MaxStone, which I've decided to name Sa-ncho (for salvage Honcho, not a sugar daddy).

As of now, I have ordered the CMS, proline bumpers (the wide set), an RC4WD Warn winch, the wireless Warn controller, a set of Gmade XD piggy back shocks, and the Axial aluminum link kit for the Honcho. I'm taking the old parts and putting them on the Sa-ncho as I can, but haven't made much progress on it. The F250 is just a lot of fun. My plan is to make a scale version of my F250, doing things to it I can't do to my real truck. I have also ordered a set (of six) Faultline beadlock wheels that have the Interco Super Swamper tires already mounted, but they are XL's and I'm afraid they will be too large. I'm going to try to post a couple of pictures of what I have so far, but they aren't really too impressive.

I will admit this is a pretty addictive hobby and that painting the body for the F250 was a lot of fun. It's really stretching my ability to have patience, as that isn't my strongest virtue.

I would be interested in some feedback from you guys as well. Let me know if I've screwed up or not...as I'm very much a n00b diving in head first apparently.

By the way, the MaxStone looks funny because it has 2.2 tires and the shocks from it were huge, it is definitely not a scale rig, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pokorn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

Default Re: I May Have Gone Overboard

I also bought some plastidip to try and waterproof things. I just haven't torn into the Honcho yet to do that, but it is one of my next priorities. After finishing all of the installs of the parts I'm waiting to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pokorn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: I May Have Gone Overboard

Links and battery relocation are two of the first mods anyone should do, also some CI foams for the tires to better the performance. I'd say your on the right track. Looks good, before you know it you won't have much of a stock scx10 left once the upgrade bug hits. The only stock parts left on mine are the driveshafts and rear lockouts.

JBurke187 is offline   Reply With Quote