Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Suspension Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Suspension Tuning

Afternoon all... Happy New Year !
I'm after some advice with setup for shocks on my RC. I'm running the GSpeed LCG chassis and 100mm boom racing type g shocks. At the moment i have the medium spring in the shock so 50% droop with 35wt oil.
As per the pics i have the front and rear shocks mounted more or less bolt upright, in use it runs fine but ive seen a lot of pics and videos of other LCG chassis rigs running lower ride height and much more angle to the shocks and im thinking i could / should be doing something different with mine to get more out of it.
I'm wondering if running the softer springs (100% droop) and thinner oil (20-25wt) and maybe leaning at least the rear shocks in a little will help?

In use it articulates well and is pretty stable but im just thinking with the upgraded chassis and other parts am i missing a trick!?

Thanks, Nige
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Suspension Tuning

What kind of chassis are you running?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
common rock crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Tall shocks (+10mm than stock) and a LCG chassis kinda works against each other, no?

I'd suggest shorter shocks (stock length), lower the body a few notches, and then tune with springs. I like my rigs stiffer in the front because it's more predictable for my driving style. That, of course, will vary with everyone you ask.

I like dual rate coil spring shocks (like there here). The top spring, more or less, sets the ride height (softer of the two springs), and the bottom spring does the grunt of the work (stiffer of the two springs). Adjustable collars to set preload helps fine-tune. An assortment of various spring rates helps with getting things dialed in (like these here).

I only run oil in the shocks to keep the shaft lubricated. I do add oil when I build them, but it seems to leak out over time (some shocks sooner than others). I don't use my rigs with speed enough to need true dampening like a 1:1 shock. It can help with hopping while spinning, though.

Leaning the shocks softens the set-up; another way to fine-tune.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by common rock crawler View Post
What kind of chassis are you running?

GSpeed LCG 👍
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ya just try laying the shocks down a little bit and see if you like it

common rock crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspension Tuning - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension tuning.....not impressed wrightcs77 Axial Yeti XL 38 11-14-2016 05:15 PM
Suspension tuning options....WoooHooooo!! redsawacs Axial Yeti XL 0 05-27-2015 10:59 AM
suspension tuning questions. gooba Axial Wraith 4 03-17-2012 09:06 AM
Suspension tuning, placement, etc...help OhioCrawler Axial XR10 7 02-28-2012 02:40 PM