Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Aluminum transmission case v/s plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Aluminum transmission case v/s plastic

I want to hear you guys thoughts and input on aluminum trans case v/s the stock plastic one? My holes on my stock are stripped out on the bottom and I'm thinking a aluminum one would solve this because I could use some blue loctite on the bolts, but I'm wondering if aluminum really is the way to go? Are the bearings hard to remove from a aluminum tranny case? I know my aluminum knuckles the bearings are a mortal PITA to get out!! Almost thinking about going back to stock plastic there....

Any info is helpful, thanks
big_poppa49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Aluminum transmission case v/s plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa49 View Post
I want to hear you guys thoughts and input on aluminum trans case v/s the stock plastic one? My holes on my stock are stripped out on the bottom and I'm thinking a aluminum one would solve this because I could use some blue loctite on the bolts, but I'm wondering if aluminum really is the way to go? Are the bearings hard to remove from a aluminum tranny case? I know my aluminum knuckles the bearings are a mortal PITA to get out!! Almost thinking about going back to stock plastic there....

Any info is helpful, thanks
Run the aluminum case you won't be disappointed..I one from yeah racing in my scx10 and one from vanquish in my Scx10ii both easy to work with.just don't over tighten the bolts when putting it back know together

chicken nut bread
Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had that stripped screw issue myself. Super glue and a zip tie to the rescue! Lol. I did buy an aluminum case the next day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How easy is the bearings to remove out of the aluminum case? And can you tell any difference between the Yeah Racing and Vanquish? (I'm sure the vanquish costed a good bit more)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You can put 3mm brass inserts into the bottom of the transmission to remedy a stripped hole issue. I do it to all my transmission housings. It ensures a good secure grip and lasts a super long time. Parts here....

https://www.mcmaster.com/#94510a030/=16gdlrj
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa49 View Post
How easy is the bearings to remove out of the aluminum case? And can you tell any difference between the Yeah Racing and Vanquish? (I'm sure the vanquish costed a good bit more)
Not a lot of difference between the yeah racing and vanquish....besides the vanquish is alot more $ but a nicer peice imo

chicken nut bread
Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I stripped out the 2 of the holes in my stock plastic case as well.

I'm in the UK so choices were limited. Went for the really cheap, unbranded chinese alloy case as a gamble (around $12 USD) it arrived and everything fits great.
Not tried to remove the bearings yet but that and an alloy mounting plate with stainless steel screws and locktite and can't get much more solid now lol.

The only difference i noticed with plastic vs cheap Chinese alloy ones was you can't as easily "flip" the gearbox housing as the little cover than pops off the opposite side on the plastic housing is completely sealed on the alloy version.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yea I have been looking at the cheap $12 Chinese ones on ebay. I figure they should be fine as long as you use loctite and not try to crank down the screws.

You guys that have aluminum, I have a question about the side bolts, do you use the stock bolts there as well? These are the bolts that hold the two halves together. I'm also curious if you get any gear clash with the aluminum case? I know the stock plastic if you tighten the halves too much you will get gear clash where the gears inside rub the inside of the case
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I did get a little gear clash if i cranked the bolts and nuts right down.
I originally used the standard screws from the plastic casing with no issues on mines but changed them to stainless steel ones later.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i have had a vanquish trans case for 3 years now have not had a single issue just installed it and forgot about it lol
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple cheap aluminum trans cases and neither of them cause any binding when tightened or over tightened. They actually have the opposite issue, the gears have a good amount of side to side play but nothing a few shims can't fix. The bearing on my cases usually come out pretty easily, a tap on the workbench is all that I have ever needed.

As for the screws, I drill out the holes in the motor plate and put longer screws in from the motor plate side with a lock nut on the back. It puts a more solid hold on the motor plate with less chance of those screws loosening up. That is the system the best motor plates use (Super Shafty and BDW) but it can be adapted to the stock plate easily.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

All I have ran for an Alum case is the VP and Zero issues short of a shim or two on the output bearings. My next trans I try will be the Yeah Racing one. For the $$ it looks well machined.

Quick mod for using a stock motor plate on a budget.
Attached Images

cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Personally I don't like the extra weight of an alloy tranny case. In fact IMO any unnecessary alloy is a center of gravity disadvantage. Competition trucks are trending lighter these days weight above the axle centerline clearly hurts performance. The installation of the brass inserts like "ElChupacabra" mentioned in his post is the perfect solution for a bullet proof plastic tranny no question.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

The brass inserts are what failed on mine. Got trans secondhand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I can't picture the brass inserts holding up too well either. I could be wrong though
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #16

You don't need an aluminum case. Plastic is fine.

But if you decide to get aluminum any brand will do. They're all close enough that you'll never know a difference once it's installed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

If it's a rtr truck just cross thread m3 screws of the correct length into it. If it's a kit trans when they are stripped ..... Buy a 15.00 transmission case. I've used the vanquish case since they came out. Very reliable. Use blue lock title to hold case to the frame brace. Use blue lock title to hold metals together on rc parts.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I just checked the weight difference between the plastic case vs cheap Ebay aluminum case
Metal one is approx 14g heavier. just under 0.5 oz
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Ah that ain't that much more weight. And to not have to hassle with stripped holes aluminum gets my vote.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #20

Any input on using liquid gasket when screwing the three Aluminum transmission pieces together?
Ovok is offline   Reply With Quote

Aluminum transmission case v/s plastic - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission case......Alloy or plastic? big_poppa49 Axial SCX-10 16 11-10-2016 09:51 AM
Aluminum Transmission Case - with option to mirror DowntownScience Axial SCX-10 3 07-18-2016 12:16 PM
Anyone use HR aluminum transmission case? ZippoMan Axial Wraith 28 09-15-2015 08:23 PM