Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 2008 Axial Scx10 Honcho upgrade suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Default 2008 Axial Scx10 Honcho upgrade suggestions

I own a 2008 Axial scx10 honcho and 7 other rigs so im not new into this sorta thing. But im in need of help of picking the right upgrade parts for a scaler look.
i would like to go for a prerunner support truck/work truck. Maybe on a RC4wd mojave 2 trail finder 2 body.
Im in need of...
-Driveshafts (preferably metal)
-A radio Box
-4 links/links (preferably metal)
-sliders
-Bumper mounts (preferably metal)
-Bumpers (Front and Rear)
-Steering arms (preferably metal) (i already have an upgraded servo)
-1.77/1.9 tires- ones that would be good all around
-1.77/1.9 wheels

Im open for any suggestions. I don't really have a budget as long as its not ridiculously expensive but I need the parts to hold up to lots of stress, be durable, and give me a scale look. Im going to use this truck as my tow rig and snow plow.
Thanks, Feisty
FormozaFeisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2008 Axial Scx10 Honcho upgrade suggestions

I think proline makes a utility/chase truck bed with the tool box sides that's would probably be good for your build
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Part#3484-00
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

1. Driveshafts (preferably metal)
I highly suggest MIP driveshafts. A little pricey, but extremely high quality with replacement parts easily available.
2. A radio Box
If you want waterproof, Traxxas boxes are good. I prefer to just PlastiDip stuff and servo tape it to a piece of thin gauge steel (I use leftover scraps from ducting from the house) that I've screwed between a couple of chassis braces. Otherwise, the stock boxes are really roomy; if you'r running small stuff like a Spektrum receiver and Tekin FXR ESC you can fit them both in there.
3. 4 links/links (preferably metal)
There's a million brands for this. I'm a fan of Axial ones personally, just because they're always available at my LHS (I prefer to buy local rather than order).
4. sliders
Sorry, can't help ya there; mine are still stock plastic. I've heard good things about RC4WD. I've also heard that plastic is actually better since when it gets scratched it doesn't get caught on rocks; metal does. Since that actually makes pretty good sense I think I'm going to keep my stock plastic sliders and just strengthen them by upgrading to aluminum mounts (probably Hot Racing).
5. Bumper mounts (preferably metal)
I have Integy in the front. Hot Racing is another good option. I don't mind using Integy in this application since I'll be using Loctite anyways so I don't have to worry about stripping it out (no need to crank the screws super tight, just snug) and since it's a stationary part it has no chance to fail really. I was just cheap.
6. Bumpers (Front and Rear)
Had a RC4WD Tough Armor bumper on there for a while. Looks great and cost effective. Just had to take it off because it was about a 1/4" too wide for my C10 body I got on each side and it looked really off. I hope to get some flares on it so I can put the bumper back, because I really liked it. Just be warned that it doesn't fit withe their Warn winch unless you're willing to do some dremel action.
7. Steering arms (preferably metal) (i already have an upgraded servo)
You mean the links? Again, I like Axial. For links, definately check out Vanquish if it's in your price range.
8. 1.77/1.9 tires- ones that would be good all around
I love love love love LOVE my RC4WD Interco TSL Super Swamper Bogger 1.9 tires. Been running them for over a year and the only terrain they struggle on it rock, but even there they often perform better than the rest of my truck unless it's a perfectly smooth surface (darn Michigan river rocks).
9. 1.77/1.9 wheels
If you like to be cheap where you can like me, just get some Axial 8-hole beadlocks. The wheel is plastic, but the beadlock rings are metal. Just be careful not to strip them out when assembling. (Do the last few turns a turn at a time working around the wheel to allow the plastic to cool so it doesn't strip as easily). These wheels are super cheap, like $15 a pair. G-Made also makes some all-metal options at a pretty affordable price. I'm a big fan of beadlocks over glue-on wheels since you can reuse them with different tires and, more importantly, you don't ruin your foams with water since it can't get in.

Hope all this was helpful, good luck with the build!
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scaler, scx10 1.9

2008 Axial Scx10 Honcho upgrade suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Honcho 4 links upgrade questionare Axial SCX-10 15 07-07-2014 03:21 PM
SCX10 Honcho Vanquish upgrade question igz Axial SCX-10 10 08-20-2013 07:38 PM
Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10?? e32lover General Crawlers 3 09-10-2012 11:33 AM
Axial SCX10 TR Aluminum Links Upgrade Set remydegreat Axial SCX-10 1 06-15-2011 11:11 PM