RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Drive shaft pops out (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/585126-drive-shaft-pops-out.html)

bigwig 05-26-2017 10:18 AM

Drive shaft pops out

3 Attachment(s)
The drive shaft keeps popping out when the truck is under load. I built the frame from scratch. It has a front motor mount. the mount is solid, so I don't think that's the problem. The drive shaft is a stock scx10 jeep wrangler unlimited one, that has been shortened a lot. It is the drive shaft that goes to the transfer case from the transmission. Why does this keep happening? The motor is a Tekin 35T.

Attachment 359556

Attachment 359557

Attachment 359558

snapon boy 05-26-2017 10:21 AM

Re: Drive shaft pops out

Looks to be to short. The scale shop or locked up rc makes a universal joint that would be much better for your application.

149 r/c worx /scalerfab Team Driver

bigwig 05-26-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapon boy (Post 5711955)
Looks to be to short. The scale shop or locked up rc makes a universal joint that would be much better for your application.

The one from Locked up rc is to short, that one is 45mm to 50mm. I need one that is 65mm.

Thanks for your help"thumbsup"

snapon boy 05-26-2017 10:52 AM

You could use an extended output shaft from hot racing and the locked up rc on

svt923 05-26-2017 11:25 AM

I use one of these between the trans and t-case in my Ascender, wrecked a few plastic shafts before switching to the steel one and no more problems. It can also be cut down if needed.

Fumi HD Universal Drive Shaft 65mm-83mm for Tractor Truck - 23210bk (BLACK) | eBay

Loosenuts 05-26-2017 11:40 AM

Since it shouldn't need to slide to expand or contract (it appears to be in a fixed location), why not just put it together, drill through it and pin it? Or glue/epoxy it for that matter.

bigwig 05-26-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loosenuts (Post 5712006)
Since it shouldn't need to slide to expand or contract (it appears to be in a fixed location), why not just put it together, drill through it and pin it? Or glue/epoxy it for that matter.

Good idea! Thanks you. I might try that.

bigwig 06-27-2017 09:27 AM

Hey guys, so I put a screw in the drive shaft to help it from coming apart. Then the driveshaft came apart again and now I don't think I can use it any more.
What should I do?

Sneetches 06-27-2017 10:17 AM

Well clearly that driveshaft is blown to hell so just get a new one. Now you say "why does this keep happening", is this not the first shaft that's broken there?

donny8594 06-27-2017 05:54 PM

Need to get the trans and t-case in a strait line. You dont have enough man part there to wiggle.:ror:

Mike Flea 06-27-2017 06:01 PM

Get rid of the cheap plastic driveshaft and get an MIP or Junfac

bigwig 06-28-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Flea (Post 5722453)
Get rid of the cheap plastic driveshaft and get an MIP or Junfac

Will the metal one pop out? Can it be shortened that much?

Ditchrat 06-28-2017 01:20 PM

Jb weld it together with shrink wrap tubing on top to keep it together and you will never have an issue.

Just took another look at your pictures. What kind of half ass forward mount do you have going on there?
Did you mount that transmission at an angle to the transfercase?

If you did, well duh you are putting a lateral force on top of the rotational force. Of course it is ripping apart. Once you get a solid shaft in there you are going to wipe out the bearings then trash the transmission gear.

Get the tranmy amd transfer case on the same plane, then you can sort out your drive shaft issues.

bigwig 06-28-2017 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5722743)
Jb weld it together with shrink wrap tubing on top to keep it together and you will never have an issue.

Just took another look at your pictures. What kind of half ass forward mount do you have going on there?
Did you mount that transmission at an angle to the transfercase?

If you did, well duh you are putting a lateral force on top of the rotational force. Of course it is ripping apart. Once you get a solid shaft in there you are going to wipe out the bearings then trash the transmission gear.

Get the tranmy amd transfer case on the same plane, then you can sort out your drive shaft issues.

Well this is my first build and rc so I didn't know that LOL. I'm 16 and don't have a lot of money.

So I should get the transmission and transfer case level with each other?

Thx for the help "thumbsup"

As you can see the drive shaft is not in good shape. LOL Attachment 360739Attachment 360740

Ditchrat 06-28-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwig (Post 5722747)
Well this is my first build and rc so I didn't know that LOL. I'm 16 and don't have a lot of money.

I dig the DIY attitude"thumbsup"

I am assuming that you did that because you mounted the servo first and then had to deal with space you had left.

Short of a front end rebuild, you need to see if you can straighten that thing out. If you do that flip the servo off its side and place it horn side down. That will give you room to move the motor forward. You should be able to get it square and get a little bit longer shaft.

check out the GCM racing forward mount for some ideas.

Sneetches 06-28-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwig (Post 5722747)

Little harsh up there, but I thought the transmission was just sideways like that so you could get the shaft off. If you really have it mounted that way which doesn't leave the input/output parallel, it leads to bad things. Here's why:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Idk3BVDVHq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

--

So, while you might not have enough spline engagement on the center shaft, you absolutely need to get the input/output yoke parallel to each other in the meantime.

mikemcE 08-01-2017 07:20 AM

Ignore the barking, you're asking and trying. RC isn't too tricky, sometimes just looking , fiddling around will help you learn. Don't be afraid to try and ask , ALL of us were rookies once

Hang up and Drive

bigwig 08-01-2017 07:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I fixed the driveshaft angle, and got a new driveshaft. It broke again. Can you please tell me if I did it at the correct angle? Do you think it was my fault for designing it wrong or the part being weak. Thanks for the help.

Attachment 362249

Attachment 362250

Attachment 362251

Attachment 362252

Attachment 362253

clm 08-01-2017 07:55 AM

This time it broke at the yoke, you could get a metal driveshaft yoke to beef that up.

Something like this could give you a fair bit of material to work with.

Axial 90-112mm 105-140mm Nylon Drive Shafts w/ Metal Yokes 1/10 Scale AX10 SCX10 | eBay

Another option with your spacing might be a Vaterra Twin hammers front center driveshaft although that might be too short.

bigwig 08-01-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clm (Post 5733271)
This time it broke at the yoke, you could get a metal driveshaft yoke to beef that up.

Something like this could give you a fair bit of material to work with.

Axial 90-112mm 105-140mm Nylon Drive Shafts w/ Metal Yokes 1/10 Scale AX10 SCX10 | eBay

Another option with your spacing might be a Vaterra Twin hammers front center driveshaft although that might be too short.

Do you think it broke because it was made of plastic? or how the angle is?