Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Nikko FJ Cruiser Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 Nikko FJ Cruiser Build

Hey All

I have had a RTR Deadbolt for a while, mostly stock, great truck.

Just recently had the chance to pick up a Nikko FJ Cruiser for cheap and thought I would convert it to a short frame build.

There was another poster I saw do a conversion a while ago and used the STRC Short Wheel Conversion Kit. I know the FJ wheel base is longer then the links provided in the kit so I will have to make my own. I have the lengths from what the other person suggested to cut them to.

I have the kit, haven't started yet, need to build the links first.

Was thinking of getting 1.55 tires and put them over my 1.9 hubs.

Still not sure how I will handle the driveshaft yet, will hopefully get the cut right the first time. The other poster used rear MIP's but sounded like had issues with it a little.

Not sure how I can rewire the headlights, even just to a 9v battery or something.

If anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts would love to hear it.

Thanks

(Any good way to get the stickers off?)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
woody131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 Nikko FJ Cruiser Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody131 View Post
Hey All

I have had a RTR Deadbolt for a while, mostly stock, great truck.

Just recently had the chance to pick up a Nikko FJ Cruiser for cheap and thought I would convert it to a short frame build.

There was another poster I saw do a conversion a while ago and used the STRC Short Wheel Conversion Kit. I know the FJ wheel base is longer then the links provided in the kit so I will have to make my own. I have the lengths from what the other person suggested to cut them to.

I have the kit, haven't started yet, need to build the links first.

Was thinking of getting 1.55 tires and put them over my 1.9 hubs.

Still not sure how I will handle the driveshaft yet, will hopefully get the cut right the first time. The other poster used rear MIP's but sounded like had issues with it a little.

Not sure how I can rewire the headlights, even just to a 9v battery or something.

If anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts would love to hear it.

Thanks

(Any good way to get the stickers off?)

That's a good looking body! My stickers peeled off fairly easy, and then I used olive oil and a rag to get rid of the residual sticker goo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
That's a good looking body! My stickers peeled off fairly easy, and then I used olive oil and a rag to get rid of the residual sticker goo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hey

I think it was your posts that I got my info from and your experience from doing your FJ build.

What did you do for the body to mount it to the posts? Drill holes into the body or used Velcro and held it on that way?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey

I think it was your posts that I got my info from and your experience from doing your FJ build.

What did you do for the body to mount it to the posts? Drill holes into the body or used Velcro and held it on that way?

Thanks

I used velcro, but I can't recall the name of the hardware pieces I used to screw onto the body posts, but they had a flat enough surface area to adhere velcro to. I wasn't too happy with my method, but here's a thread I bookmarked a while back, which has some good tips: Attaching Body to Look more Scale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Well.. finally had time to take the SCX10 Deadbolt apart, cut some test links, started to put it back together but ran out of time.

A little unsure what to do about the drive shaft at this point, once I get the links on and front and rear axles, I guess I will see how much I can cut, if any.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Made a bunch of progress. Chassis is built back up, only needed to go back once to trim a bit of the front links.

Still have to sort out the drive shafts but that "should" be easy, using the stock plastic ones, will just trim a little.

I will be lifting the body a bit, the stock 1.9 tires, will rub. I am overal happy with the wheels to body lineup, maybe not perfect but will see after I lift up the body more.

May look at 1.55 setup once I get it going and see how it runs.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Sick truck! That body makes me want one.
Double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Between Work / Family and waiting for stuff in the mail I have not had a lot of time to work on the FJ. But finally got the 1.55 Pitbulls and lift kit. I put the Pitbulls on a set on RC4WD 1.9 wheels.

I am waiting for the magnet body post mounts still, so hacked up a Velcro mod and does work, just not that clean.

The body still sits a little high, but waiting for the magnet mounts to come and will drop it a little lower and see.

Last edited by woody131; 08-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

A few minor updates. Dropped it down a little more and happy where it sits, rear tires ok to the body, rubs a little but fine with it.

The front I had to trim the inner bumper so the wheels wouldn't catch.

Still not happy with the velco mount, body holds ok, doesn't come off, but perfer something a little more fixed. Not wanting to drill holes yet to mount it that way. Still waiting for the magnet mounts, will see how that goes. Worse case maybe I drill rear holes and the post are hidden with the roof rack.

Also got some cheap scale accessories to add on as well.

This will be more a trail truck, little crawling but that's about it. Only have had a chance to take it out in our neighbourhood so far.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty good! I wasn't pleased with my velcro mounts, either, and I lacked the drive to build a magnetic mount. I think I would've been fine to just bore some holes and use the tried & true body post/clip method. I still have my yellow FJ body, but not sure if I'll keep it, or perhaps save it and eventually mount it on a CC-01 or Gelande II chassis.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Looks pretty good! I wasn't pleased with my velcro mounts, either, and I lacked the drive to build a magnetic mount. I think I would've been fine to just bore some holes and use the tried & true body post/clip method. I still have my yellow FJ body, but not sure if I'll keep it, or perhaps save it and eventually mount it on a CC-01 or Gelande II chassis.
I ended up getting the magnet mounts that clip on to the existing posts and actually work well, but sit really high.

Then I found this video clip the other day of a better way to mount the body via magnets.

https://youtu.be/JattsfLcmuw

I am hoping to pick up these magnets this weekend and get the same results but can have it sit lower down.

Also just wanted to say thanks Johnnyluv for posting your build experince of the Nikko FJ as it helped me figure out where to start and was able figure out things from there. I don't have a tone of experience in the hobby, part time sort of thing that I wish I could do more, but work, family sort of important. Lol.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I ended up getting the magnet mounts that clip on to the existing posts and actually work well, but sit really high.

Then I found this video clip the other day of a better way to mount the body via magnets.

https://youtu.be/JattsfLcmuw

I am hoping to pick up these magnets this weekend and get the same results but can have it sit lower down.

Also just wanted to say thanks Johnnyluv for posting your build experince of the Nikko FJ as it helped me figure out where to start and was able figure out things from there. I don't have a tone of experience in the hobby, part time sort of thing that I wish I could do more, but work, family sort of important. Lol.

I appreciate the remark. I've learned much from the labor of others, too, so I try to give back where I can. Fortunately, I'm one of the few that didn't use Photobucket, so my images are still viewable.
Hey, I'm in the same boat, as far as involvement in the hobby, as I have a teenager, a kindergartner, and a baby on the way. I mostly just think up ideas and buy parts to set aside, until I get time (and energy) to actually build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Been a while since I had some time with the FJ.

I fixed my body mount problem and went with the simple round magnets and shoe glue to the existing posts. Then did the same to the body and worked out great.

Also picked up some gmade wheel hubs. Sort of look like cop tires now, but I like them.

Got it out for run today, I am happy with it, more of a trail truck but crawled decent.

I do need to do some more body trimming around the bumpers, but overal not to bad.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

What did you finally do about the drive shafts? Shorten the stock ones?
The angle looks pretty steep, have you had any problems with them?
It looks really slick with those gMades.
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
What did you finally do about the drive shafts? Shorten the stock ones?
The angle looks pretty steep, have you had any problems with them?
It looks really slick with those gMades.
Basically I just shorten the existing stock ones and yes, you are right it is probably fairly steep from a normal setup. Not getting binding or rubbing anywhere that I can tell and for just some simple, easy runs, mild crawling, it seems to ok so far.

I am not an experienced crawler / build guy (only a couple years in), would like to reduce the angle a bit but not sure how to do that and keep the shorter frame lenght / wheelbase. I tried to keep the axles as level as possible for the drive shaft output and cut my own links (first time).

I have been wanting a set of gMades Hubs for a while on my Bomber but finally got some for this build.

SCX10 Nikko FJ Cruiser Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bright FJ Cruiser vs Nikko FJ Cruiser fredder Paint and Body 2 04-01-2016 11:26 AM
Nikko fj cruiser build SlickNick 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 07-01-2014 02:24 PM