Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Let's build a Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Let's build a Honcho

So recently I've been focused on my Ascender build(s), but over the weekend came across a Honcho at a price I couldn't pass up. This truck supposedly only had 2 packs run through it. I believe it too cause I ran it for 10 minutes and put scratches on the inside of the shell that weren't there when I bought it. Battery tray mod musta been done after it had the packs run through it. Bone stock otherwise. I've got a few upgrade parts sitting in my parts bin that I can't wait to install. This will probably be a slow build but figured I'd share my acquisition and document the life of this truck as I own it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 04-10-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Let's build a Honcho

The Honcho is such a great performing truck out of the box. That is until you start bending links. Links and moving the battery to the front are really the only mods it "needs".

If you upgrade axles do yourself a favor and go with the SCX10 II axles (stock, Boom/Xtra Speed).
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah I was really impressed with it running as it. I've got metal links and metal trans gears sitting in the bin. VP stage 1 kit brand new in the package. Came with the 2 cell Lipo. Good call on the axles.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I wanted a honcho scx10, but ended up just putting the body on my ascender. What's your opinion on the scx10 compared to the ascender?
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I will always be an Ascender guy. That being said, the SCX10 line isn't as popular as it is for no reason. It's a great truck. My gripe is and always will be the fact that you gotta dump ~$100 into it to get it where the Ascender comes stock (links, trans gears, etc.) I'm gonna be ripping the stock ESC out of it and at least putting one of my spare stock Ascender ESC's in it to start with. I was going back and forth between the Honcho and Ascender when I got my first Ascender. By the time I had decided I needed another crawler, they had retired the Honcho. I jumped at the chance to get this one even tho I have my other Ascender build still incomplete. Wasn't gonna make that mistake twice. And for under $300 with a 2 cell it was really a no-brainer.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
I will always be an Ascender guy. That being said, the SCX10 line isn't as popular as it is for no reason. It's a great truck. My gripe is and always will be the fact that you gotta dump ~$100 into it to get it where the Ascender comes stock (links, trans gears, etc.) I'm gonna be ripping the stock ESC out of it and at least putting one of my spare stock Ascender ESC's in it to start with. I was going back and forth between the Honcho and Ascender when I got my first Ascender. By the time I had decided I needed another crawler, they had retired the Honcho. I jumped at the chance to get this one even tho I have my other Ascender build still incomplete. Wasn't gonna make that mistake twice. And for under $300 with a 2 cell it was really a no-brainer.

What you said sounds so much like what I was thinking. I ended up with the ascender first, but bought a partial scx10 to finish. I like my honcho body, if I ever get around to finish getting it on the ascender. I ended up with the stock ascender esc in my scx10, but after putting one of the wp1080 in my ascender I wish I had bought 2, and put one in the ascender.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkk5 View Post
What you said sounds so much like what I was thinking. I ended up with the ascender first, but bought a partial scx10 to finish. I like my honcho body, if I ever get around to finish getting it on the ascender. I ended up with the stock ascender esc in my scx10, but after putting one of the wp1080 in my ascender I wish I had bought 2, and put one in the ascender.
I have a hobbywing 1080 that will be to me Thursday. After reading everything on here I had to give it a go. Never hurts to have spare electronics around.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
I have a hobbywing 1080 that will be to me Thursday. After reading everything on here I had to give it a go. Never hurts to have spare electronics around.

I can honestly say the 1080 was the best mod to my ascender so far. It made more of a difference than a 55t motor and new pinion gear ever did.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

What all do you have planned for the scx10?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Not really sure yet. This makes rig #4 and was an impulse buy so just gonna get the metal links and trans gears in to start. Both of my SCX's need their dogbones swapped to cvd's. I've got a VP stage one kit I got on sale still brand new in the packaging and an aluminum VP trans case I was gonna put in my Deadbolt but now will probably go in the Honcho. I also have a Howler Customs battery/electronics tray I'll throw in it too.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just a reccomendation, a buddy of mine has the same rig, near bone stock. When I have run it, my main gripe was the front bumper. I would take it off and find somthing that is not so low to ground. It makes for some rough times on the non-scale size obstacles.
crawlinwithacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Honcho got out for its first official trail ride over the weekend. Still sitting bone stock. Had a 7 y/o driving it so I was pretty sure I'd have parts to did that night. I was wrong. Everything appears to be just fine. The built to the hilt Deadbolt stripped a spur in the first 15 minutes but the stock honcho kept on (tiny) truck'n. I did take the Trepp's off and put some Deep Woods on Axial 8 hole beadlocks that I had in the drawer. This thing is slowly turning into quite the expensive/blingy toy. Now that SSD has come out with a link conversion kit for old SCX10 to nicely accept 10.2 axles, I'm thinking some VP 10.2 curries might need to happen. Is got a whole pile of VP parts just sitting in the parts drawer waiting to go on and the pile keeps growing... All for now. Just wanted to share a little update to keep this thread alive

Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

A good read so far. The Honcho has always attracted me.

After the truck is blinged out with all that VP goodness you speak of, is the 7yo still gonna get to drive it?

After sinking a bunch of work and a respectable amount of $ into my 10.2, my 7yo daughter usually ends up driving it out on the trail while I run the stock (not really) RTR truck, mostly cuz she likes the color.

Keep the updates comin.

Last edited by Pushjerk; 09-19-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yea the Honcho is what my SCX10 is and is by far my favorite of the OGs...

I have the SCX10.2 kit i am building...couple complaints:

I do not like how the link arms, and shocks are just held in by threading into the plastic. Maybe its just me but I would prefer a bolt and nut. My trac bar hits the servo horn. The transmission/transfer case is actually backwards. Not an issue function wise but its a OCD triggering item for me haha

Last edited by 1fox2go; 09-19-2017 at 10:59 AM.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
A good read so far. The Honcho has always attracted me.

After the truck is blinged out with all that VP goodness you speak of, is the 7yo still gonna get to drive it?

After sinking a bunch of work and a respectable amount of $ into my 10.2, my 7yo daughter usually ends up driving it out on the trail while I run the stock (not really) RTR truck, mostly cuz she likes the color.

Keep the updates comin.
No I don't think he'll get to use it after the upgrades are done. He's got Ricky Bobby syndrome "I wanna go fast!!" so I'm thinking about getting him a twin hammers. Let's him rip up and down the trail when it's open but can crawl better than his slash.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Honcho is such a great performing truck out of the box. That is until you start bending links. Links and moving the battery to the front are really the only mods it "needs".

If you upgrade axles do yourself a favor and go with the SCX10 II axles (stock, Boom/Xtra Speed).
I'm fairly new to crawling, what tends to break driveshafts? Is it the big tires biting or binding that will twist the shaft?
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Can you fit a 2s 5000mah pack up front, or do you need to size down to like a 2200?
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMELESSTGR View Post
I'm fairly new to crawling, what tends to break driveshafts? Is it the big tires biting or binding that will twist the shaft?
The plastic trans gears break and plastic links bend. Those are two good places to start. I forget which driveshafts come on the RTR Honcho. Plastic driveshafts are often fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMELESSTGR View Post
Can you fit a 2s 5000mah pack up front, or do you need to size down to like a 2200?
A 2S 5000mAh pack will fit if you move the battery tray up front.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

So I finally got to turning wrenches on the Honcho today. It's snowing today and I knew it would be slow at the ol surplus shop so o grabbed the parts and brought the truck to work. Thus far I've gotten HD diff gears in the axle housings, overdriving the front, I've installed the 12.3" WB link kit by Axial and I finished off the housings with a VP stage 1 kit. Currently on break at work and from the truck, but I'll be attacking the transmission gears and case once I'm back. Also I'll add some pics of the progress after break too.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

All buttoned up as far as most of the mechanical upgrades go. I need to shim the rear diff still. I'd like a VP or Super Shafty motor plate and I need to get some SSD or VP steering links when I order up electronics. Also I need a new forward battery tray as I'm not a fan of the "factory" forward mount the previous owner had installed.

Let's build a Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho Build thzero Axial SCX-10 17 02-16-2012 12:12 PM
My Honcho Build TRDGUYSCX10 Axial SCX-10 2 07-23-2011 07:21 PM
Honcho, My First Build. Rikk Axial SCX-10 18 12-02-2010 09:01 AM
Yet ANOTHER Honcho Build. laynehip Axial SCX-10 0 08-17-2010 03:41 PM
Another Honcho build ynmech 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 04-05-2010 05:52 PM