Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Akumu - SCX10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
v33
Rock Crawler

Default Akumu - SCX10 build

it's been a very long time since I was last here, been custom building clods and txt-1's then shifted to rc drifting because crawling had a small following in my country due to diy builds and no kits at that time.

anyways, traded one of my drift cars for a shortly run indoors scx10, got it with some really bad stock parts, plastic links a stock esc that stopped running when i changed the stupid tamiya plugs to deans.

the truck came with GPM alloy steering, GPM front bumper mount, alloy hex hubs, skid plates (f/r) and 2 uncut/unpainted bodies.

upgraded to a lot of parts so i can get decent perfornance...

Xtraspeed pineapple gears
Boomracing skid plates
GPM knuckles
GPM rear locker
Xtraspeed C-hub
GPM 4 link (front and rear)
GPM aluminum center link (to convert the front to 2 links)
Boom racing beadlocks
Proline Hyrax 1.9
GPM shocks
alloy reciever box
Team raffee 35T brushed motor
waterproof esc

This is what she looks like now...

I ordered an SSD panhard set and alloy shock hoops with body post, also going to get a Savox waterproof servo to replace the stock one. Then thats it for this truck... i dont want to spend anymore. next build will be an SCX10 v2.

Plans are to diy a battery plate that will be mounted infront of the gearbox, not sure i will touch the rear damper mounts... have to still decide on that mod.

painted one of the shells, a dingo...

my kid has access to autocad so he is creating the grill for this body and we will print it on a 3d printer we just got.

thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 08-20-2017 at 08:46 AM.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Akumu - SCX10 build

Love that Dingo body, they aren't being used that often anymore. Great paint scheme!

Nice that your son is taking part in the hobby as well, looking forward to your progress...

Last edited by durok; 08-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
v33
Rock Crawler

@durok Thanks!

we just got the 3d printer about a week ago and have been trying to bulletproof the thing so it does not blow up on my kids.

My son just played around to test the printer and came up with version 0.01 of the front grill.

we are planning making the grill separate from the radiator which would go at the back as a 2nd piece. that will be version 0.02 hopefully.

I just got xtra speed dampers to replace those GPM bigbores. the xtra speed has a low quality feel to them, the dual spring retainer rubs on the barrel. hopefully this will be gone after a few runs, it does not affect the dampening so it seems good for the price.

btw, i did not fill the dampers with oil on. just test fitting but later I will put a few drops.

thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 08-26-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
v33
Rock Crawler

I've made some purchases the past weeks and installed most of them...

These came from RCMart HK and got these thursday last week...

These came from a local seller and got them saturday...

Actually bought this from our LHS first inline with the oders that came from HK

Of all the purchases i've made, the GPM panhard (part #SCX024A) is the worst product/headache. I dont understand why GPM did not pull this product out since they have the SCX024N, correct me if i am wrong, which has the side brackets to prevent the servo mount from moving.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
v33
Rock Crawler

because the GPM panhard product was such a pos, i had to think of a way to get it working. I purchased the Boom Racing battery tray because it came with CMS built-in.

I then made custom mounts out of aluminum L-bar for the panhard link. This bolts on the bottom of the servo mount and uses the same servo screws to fasten them

Now all i have to do is find a better steering link or make my own using some 6mm aluminum rods.

Been curious about the shock mount extensions and ordered a set. But this was through a local channel and will be coming in end of the month. I just had to try it, so i made one out of some aluminum bars i had...

The electronics are all waterproof now, I cant wait to finish the build and test this.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 09-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
v33
Rock Crawler

nice day to take some naked shots...

thanks for viewing!
Old 09-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #7
v33
Rock Crawler

Planning on finally bringing this truck out tomorrow to test it on a trail. Started masking earlier today and painted it about an hour ago. Just need to finish light decal placement.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 09-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
v33
Rock Crawler

been running the truck on a local trail (sorry no pics yet). i think it is capable enough but keep researching how to improve performance.

purchased a Pitbull Rock Beast XL 1.9's for US$40 mounted never used (owner did not like the height). Here are some comparison shots i made today with the Proline 1.9 Hyrax.

how it looks mounted on an SR5 body...

I have cut the front bumper and finally fixed it in place. Also trimmed the fenders to better clear the hyrax... i will need to trim more if i plan on using the Rock Beast.

hopefully I can test the performance on sunday, its been raining a lot latetly in my country.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 10-02-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
v33
Rock Crawler

i have vented the RB2's by punching 3mm holes on each side using a leather hole punch. also added 40g weight on each tire.

tested the tire in the backyard, the hyrax is easier to use and more predictable than the RB2's. these tires with the stock foams really are a biatch to use, i kept rolling down angles where the hyrax doesnt break a sweat. i really need to do something about these foams, have to wait a while to order lil nova's.

here is a shot with the tires vented and with weights... it still stands firm..

Old 10-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
v33
Rock Crawler

Just installed a light kit, this is one high powered headlight...

https://youtu.be/qI_H9pWnMuA
Old 10-09-2017, 03:22 AM   #11
v33
Rock Crawler

removed the stock foams of the RB2's and used the stock BFG foams, it performed better than expected in the trails yesterday. thought of adding a few more mods to the tire to see if this will give it some extra performance... cut the tires...

this will be tested on sunday when we hit a different trail, i really hopt they performe better.

thanks for viewing!
Old 10-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #12
v33
Rock Crawler

i needed to change the front shock towers/body post to alloy and purchased the following upgrade too...

after some maintenance and cleaning the parts where installed. had issues with the SR5 not sitting well so i opted to take out my lexan Toyota LC70 body, cut it and do the necessary mods for proper fitting.

testing the truck this sunday, i really wish a comp will be held so i can be underpressure and see how i can drive it.

Thanks for viewing!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:50 AM   #13
v33
Rock Crawler

painted for max visibility

paints used Tamiya PS-62 Pure Orange, Black, Gunmetal and flat clear

i think i need the vanquish wheel hubs, maybe a 350 or 475... still looking into those.

Thanks for viering!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Really like that lexan LC70 body! Didn't know they even made them, I'll have to look into it.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:58 AM   #15
v33
Rock Crawler

my Dingo was the first body painted for this SCX10, it felt too bulky and heavy not only to the eye but also on when you carried it. I found this photo on google linking to a post on this forum a long time ago... i thought it was soo cool i just had to do it to my shell. I dont think it is as good, but close

Thanks for viewing!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #16
v33
Rock Crawler

attended a comp last sunday... steering for some reason performed poorly compared to the few times i have trailed and crawled on more steeper climbs. could not shoot while driving so here is a poser ...

I leaned a lot of weaknesses during that comp and decided to implement some changes. here is a steering mockup, seems to be better that the old panhard setup...

ako upgraded some parts yesterday, got me a better top link truss for the rear, some new metal drive shafts and new vanquish style wheels...

shots with the parts installed...

I am putting the RB2's aside and will try out the Hyrax again for a few weeks. It was dissapointing to see how poorly the RB2's performed on a wet rocky 45° incline (made of fiberglass). It did great when it was dry but once it got wet it was a major let down... that issue combined with steering problems made me want to throw the RB2's away!

Thanks for viewing!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
v33
Rock Crawler

finally got the much needed upgrades...

foam inserts for the hyrax and wheels for the RB2's

installed the SSD Pro Steering Conversion kit

will be testing on sunday, hopefully it works better.

Thanks for viewing!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #18

how did the SSD Steering upgrade work for you? I'm Also looking to do this upgrade.
thewolf8813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #19
v33
Rock Crawler

@thewolf8813, the stock compared to this SSD Steering upgrade is worlds apart! take the plunge, it is worth it... make sure you have universals installed too.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
v33
Rock Crawler

the body is getting beaten up so i opted to refresh the look a little by paiting a camo pattern outside, also purchased these parts recently for addition scale points during competition and the functional winch helps too.

a shot after installation...

And this was take recently during one of the local trail run we did...

Noticed that the bumper could not be tucked in due to the winch installation and kept hitting the rocks, so i opted to make changes afterwards and created brackets for the bumper mounting position. It moved the bumper higher giving the truck more clearance. I will go to our local X'mas trail run later and will take some pictures then.

Thanks for viewing!

Akumu - SCX10 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM
My scx10 build 10yearrx7 Axial SCX-10 1 03-20-2012 07:28 PM
my first scx10 build axialchevy General Scale Talk 1 03-10-2011 07:15 AM