Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Rubicon steering sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Rubicon steering sucks

I'm a newb, there I said it. That out of the way I recently picked up a modded SCX10 Rubicon and I am appaled by the lack of steering on this thing. Here's what it's got: Currie Rock Jock axles, Vanquish Chubs and 8* knuckles, steering linkage that works with this setup, MIP axles, Spektrum DX4 radio, Flat Iron XL on 1.9 Gear Heads Sixer wheels (with 6 oz of weight in each one ). This thing turns like a battleship. I physically have a ton of room for the wheels to turn but the servo (no idea what it is since it's covered in plasti-dip) isn't giving me enough sweep to take advantage of the room. I cannot for the life of me find EPA's on my radio, taking the travel all the way to 150% does nothing. It seems to sweep +-30* but I can't get any more out of it. I'm all for swapping out the servo for something known but I am worried that I will not get anymore sweep than what I have now. Oh, the steering links are mounted to the knuckles on the furthest hole from the axle and it does have a metal servo horn (Vanquish?) using the furthest hole. I did a search and all I can find is how people did the mods to get more steering but nothing on how the servo played into their mods. Any help is appreciated.
JeepSK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX10 Rubicon steering sucks

Not much traffic here...I removed the weight from the wheels. I figure the extra weight of the axles should be sufficient. If not I can add some weights. I'm gonna try a longer servo horn to see how much that affects my steering angle. I have a few plastic ones that came with all the spare parts so I should be able to test it then get a metal one of the proper length if it all works out.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yup longer servo horn will work, as long as the rig has a servo powerful enough to actually turn the wheels. Big turning circle unfortunately goes with the territory, locked axles do not want to turn. All the angle in the world will not help on a grippy surface. Od the front and or Ud the rear to help out as well.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I had the vanquish setup you have and it sucked! I started using the axial high clearance knuckles with the axial or strc c-hubs and got much better steering angles. You do need a good servo horn that isnt too short.
Attached Images

allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

They only thing I don't really like about the Vanquish setup is it seems sloppy. The knuckles wiggle on the screws that mount it to the Chubs. Other than that, room for days to turn. I took a long plastic servo horn and it made a significant difference. I need to order a metal one pronto.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That slop will kill steering. ..
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #7

I really manifests when going in reverse, uggh. I'll run it until I can't stand it any longer, lol.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You need to ge the vanquish brass inserts for your knuckles and all that slop will go away. The plastic just gets sloppy to fast.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

Which dx4 model is it? There are 3 different models of the dx4. One thing I would check would be your steering rate if making adjustment to the travel rate hasnt made a difference. You will have to go to "switch" on the radio menu and see which one is used to make the adjustment. If there isnt a switch being used for the steering rate, go to the one you want to use, select it, and then scroll until you see "st rate+" or "st rate-". Either will work, the only difference between the two is what direction the switch will have to be moved to make the rate go up or down.
TheD1ngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #11

It's the DX4C, sorry about that. I'm sure I'm going full lock on the servo (electronics wise) so I'm not sure anything else on the radio will help, but I will give it a shot. I did put a longer servo horn on that measures pretty close to 24mm, actually just a tad longer, and that made a huge difference. I just need a metal servo horn now. I appreciate the information.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This may sound crazy, but rebind the receiver to the transmitter. My loaner rig takes all kinds of abuse. The steering took a dump the last time someone was driving it. I checked everything and couldn't figure it out. I remembered seeing the person that was using it turn the transmitter on and off a few times, as the rig was still powered up. After I rebound it, it worked again. Give it a try, it's free and only takes a second.

Edited to add that it was also with a DX4C
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
This may sound crazy, but rebind the receiver to the transmitter. My loaner rig takes all kinds of abuse. The steering took a dump the last time someone was driving it. I checked everything and couldn't figure it out. I remembered seeing the person that was using it turn the transmitter on and off a few times, as the rig was still powered up. After I rebound it, it worked again. Give it a try, it's free and only takes a second.

Edited to add that it was also with a DX4C
Thanks, I should probably do that anyway since I don't know what the previous owner did to it. I have seen a lot of things on this rig I didn't like and fixed already.

Just to update, I did install the longer servo arm (24-25mm, used a tape measure) and the steering is much better. I also relocated the battery across the frame rails in front of the motor and moved the radio box to the back. Not sure if it helped steering but it sure helps it to climb. I am super impressed with the ProLine Flat Iron XL 1.9 tires I installed too.

SCX10 Rubicon steering sucks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering sucks Jus Axial Yeti 18 04-04-2015 11:20 PM
Titanium Steering and Suspension Links for SCX10 Honcho and Rubicon Blue Monkey RC Chassis and Suspension 31 05-02-2014 08:15 PM
SCX10 Rubicon Steering Liv4rc Axial SCX-10 6 04-16-2013 09:59 AM
steering sucks crawler nub Axial SCX-10 8 07-20-2011 01:36 PM
steering sucks 12flex General Crawlers 4 05-03-2006 01:13 PM