Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10

Do me a favor SVT...

Paint the body, whatever he chooses, for him, please...
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Do me a favor SVT...

Paint the body, whatever he chooses, for him, please...
Yeah, I can't see any other way it could go.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Hope to see pics of it on the trail, maybe your cousin will be kind enough to keep this thread alive?
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Nice rebuild, looks great except the body gotta get painted lol. Those shock hoop cross braces are one of the best cheap mods for SCX10s, Traxxas 550 motor on 3S will rock, tires are great size and tread choice too!

Edit: kinda makes me miss my old SCX.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjotrainbrain View Post
Hope to see pics of it on the trail, maybe your cousin will be kind enough to keep this thread alive?
I'll probably do that too. I do everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice rebuild, looks great except the body gotta get painted lol. Those shock hoop cross braces are one of the best cheap mods for SCX10s, Traxxas 550 motor on 3S will rock, tires are great size and tread choice too!

Edit: kinda makes me miss my old SCX.
There is something calming about a nice, simple build like this, my book "Zen and the Art of SCX10 Maintenance" is coming whenever I get a chance to write it.

The shock tower braces makes the plastic tower setup way more tough than expected, the chassis actually flexes before the shock towers. Power will not be lacking with that 550 motor, the old 27T had wheelspeed and not much else. It handled the driveway test admirably.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

How much can the shock towers really flex though? Aren't they held mostly in place by the body posts going into the body?
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjotrainbrain View Post
How much can the shock towers really flex though? Aren't they held mostly in place by the body posts going into the body?
The shock towers can flex alot, that is part of the reason they were redesigned for the SCX ii.

The body posts are like wet noodles, they provide no support.

Last edited by svt923; 11-01-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

The fresh and clean SCX10 was returned to it's much delighted owner. He was particularly happy about the new electronics layout and the new links. With the newly rebuilt truck in hand, it was time to go driving. I brought along my TF2 so I can create content for 2 threads simultaneously. That's called efficiency.

Not many pictures were taken but there are a few.

The terrain at the driving locale du jour isn't terribly rugged so tiny tires don't hold you back. I offered up some RC4WD Dick Cepek Extreme Country 1.9s on some Super Shafty wheels with Beef Patties to borrow. It was an audition for the next set of tires, the Extreme Dicks are in strong contention.

Climbing up this ledge is a gigantic pain in the ass, the Ugbolt made it up pretty easily. Amazing what low CG electronics placement and weighted wheels with sticky tires will do.

Much time was spent discussing the next body. The choices being discussed so far are the Proline Silverado cab with a Honcho bed, Proline C10, and Proline Commanche. No decision has been reached as of yet.

The leaves kinda messed with the traction all day but these Dick Cepek tires hook up great, they are as good as any tiny tire on the market. Consider them for your next C1 build assuming your truck will look good with a super fat tire. The overly firm springs hurt the truck in a few situations, luckily Yeti front springs come in several lighter versions.

The joy on a child's face makes all the work worth it. Just look how happy the little guy is:

That may be a look of concentration or the mindless stare of someone thinking about lunch. Lousy daylight savings time messing with lunch time.

There you have it, a pile of Axial crap turned into a nicely made SCX10 for one lucky civil servant. Much discussion was had about what improvements will be made to the truck from here. The list so far includes:

1. CVDs
2. New body
3. New wheels and tires

Obviously it is a SCX10, so you can go as overboard with hopups as your wallet will allow, but I believe this will one will stay relatively simple. Future updates should be much less ugly however.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I have a small update for those who can't get enough of my niceness.

These were a Xmas gift from my son to his godfather.

A full set of RC4WD OEM 1.9 steel wheels with a set of 4.19 Baja Claws. A set of Pitbull foams were thrown in to replace the awful foams from these older RC4WD tires.

Traction, like cash, is always the right size.

A not so nice result befell this truck last weekend. While out driving in some awful 20* weather, an errand slip left the Ugbolt tumbling down a steep rock while, at the bottom, a frozen puddle waited. The truck promptly broke through the ice on impact and ended underwater. Very unnicely, I laughed while Mr. Owner/Driver fished his truck out. Pictures would have been taken but my fingers were frozen.

About 20 minutes after that dunk, the servo started losing the ability to turn left. Thus ended drive #2 after the rebuild. You can see why I was needed in the first place right?

Now you can stop wondering and continue waiting for a new servo and that new body that still hasn't happened.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBacon101 View Post
love this story, and awesome that you are from Raleigh..I was just in Durham yesterday at Ho B Max checking out some VTA racing and found a group that crawls around Sanford.

looking forward to more if this
Thanks, I try to do my part to make the hobby better.

I haven't been out to Ho-B Max in a long time, I had ambitions of racing once upon a time but now I have kids and limited time out of the house. The fact I'm terrible at not hitting the walls doesn't help either.

If you don't want to trek all the way out to Sanford to get some crawling in, we have a group in Wake County that tries to get out every weekend.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

If you don't want to trek all the way out to Sanford to get some crawling in, we have a group in Wake County that tries to get out every weekend.
that would be great, being in Greenville, I'm an hour or so from Raleigh, Sanford is a pretty good little trek
DarthBacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Hey.

How is everyone doing on this fine Memorial Day?

That's fantastic.

Now that meaningless pleasantries have been exchanged, how about some new niceness?

Remember how the truck looked at our last update?

Here is a refresher:

Yeah, still an assault on the senses.

I'm sure I could do something nice about that but what exactly? The owner is a big Chevy guy, as in a fan of large Chevy trucks like his beloved 2008 2500.

He had to sell it a few years ago because it is not what anyone would consider "economical" or a "sound financial decision" to serve as a daily driver. However love does not take such things into consideration and it has been missed since the day it was passed on.

A chance eBay trolling for some reasonably priced bodies uncovered a long discontinued Proline 2007 Silverado body new in package for a whopping $20. I hopped on that and a few days later a fresh, unspoiled hunk of Proline lexan showed up at my house.

Some trimming, masking, painting, and voila!

We have a mini giant Silverado. He will be surprised and I'm still the undisputed king of niceness.

It may end up on the SCX10 or it may inspire a whole new build, we will have to wait and see. Either way, no one should ever have to look at that Deadbolt ever again.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Nice Silvy!

And that was really nice you doing that.

And ridding the world of that atrocious Deadbolt...nice job!

Nicely done.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote

SVT does nice things for people: Rebuilding a SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuilding Former Glory SCX10 Axles...help! alexchen86 Axial SCX-10 0 07-31-2014 04:16 PM
new spot to crawl. people can be nice actually pitcher2103 Chit Chat 9 11-06-2012 10:18 PM
Which JConcepts Ford Raptor SVT Body for SCX10? Chachi_RC Paint and Body 19 06-14-2011 11:04 AM
some people need to learn how to sell things yukon635 Chit Chat 33 09-22-2006 10:03 AM
The things people sell......It kills me!! rcracer Chit Chat 3 09-11-2006 01:44 PM