Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Tralfaz Tries an SCX10 Deadbolt to Jeep Wrangler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tralfaz Tries an SCX10 Deadbolt to Jeep Wrangler Build

This is my second crawler, second Axial vehicle, first SCX10 after my original crawler which is an SCX10II. I really love that little truck and it has been a great introduction (gateway drug) into this hobby. I pretty much wanted to try out an SCX10 to have a little bit of variety. I've never even ran the deadbolt before stealing parts off of it for my Honcho. I stole some shocks out of it for my Honcho. Anyways, I've just got a few simple mods going on so far and few ideas for the near future. This is going to be somewhere in between a scaler and a basher. I'm not really worried about anyone else's standard for scale trucks but I think I will only get better with experience and I do plan to do a hard body some time and I just want to have fun figuring all of this out along the way. Below is the parts list so far. The only thing I haven't ordered yet is the ESC and the only other thing yet to show up is the motor, which I just ordered the other day. I also really want to replace all of the plastic suspension components. The SCX10II plastic links on my Honcho seem pretty stout and it's taken a beating and is holding up great. While I have yet to even power up this chassis, the plastic links and steering all seem pretty flexible.

Axial RTR SCX10 Deadbolt
Proline Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Lexan body
Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 21
Hobby Wing 1080 ESC
RC4WD Z-D0031 King Scale Shocks
Pit Bull 1.9 Rock Beasts
Lockedup 1.9 Jdubs with green rings and Ultra Hubs
Axial Aluminum Suspension Upgrade

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 03-26-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tralfaz Tries an SCX10 Deadbolt to Jeep Wrangler Build

Here it is just mocked up with the body. I originally thought of putting this body on the Honcho chassis but since I knew I never planned to use the Deadbolt body I decided to see if I could cannibalize the interior. While not anywhere near the kind of interior I'd eventually want in a proper scale build, for a quick fix making use of available parts it works pretty good. I definitely need to do some inner wheel wells on this thing.

I pretty much cut out the Deadbolt interior as shown and did a little touch-up paint where the puke green was showing. The roll cage almost snapped into the jeep body... Literally. The rear of the roll cage slopes down a little so I shimmed it with the lexan scraps from the Deadbolt body. I screwed the cage to the body using the existing screw holes from the Deadbolt light rack and added 2 more in the rear. While these do show on the roof, I'm not too worried about it because I plan to put a roof rack on it so they will be consealed, I also like that the body and interior are now one piece. I did use the body posts and pins for the front but I'm going to try some magnets for the back. I don't really mind the pins and if this thing gets treated like my Honcho with complete disregard for it's survival, it's going to get beat to hell and roll down some mountains.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The jeep looks great in green.Well done on the interior also.
How do you like your DeepWoods tires?
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
The jeep looks great in green.Well done on the interior also.
How do you like your DeepWoods tires?
Thank you, RiderZ.

I was pretty impressed with the Deep Woods performance. I don't have a lot of experience with different brands yet I found them to be a pretty good all around trail tire, worth the price for sure. What I do not like much are the wheels. They have a very toy like look to me. I bought the tire and wheel combo in black chrome. I would suggest the plain black or ordering the tires alone. Something about plastic chrome just doesn't look right to me.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I wanted to upgrade the plastic suspension links and I figured I'd have to order the kit online. I made a trip to my local Hobby Town USA in Buford, GA to have a look at a roof rack I'd seen in there and I saw the Axial upgrade kit so I got it and left the roof rack. The rack was too small anyways, just a little square one and I need a longer one. To add to the list of rookie mistakes I'm compiling at a rapid rate, I may have jumped the gun on the screws through the roof too. While I am sure that I will find a roof rack to conceal them, I don't think anyone with a real Jeep Wrangler would install a roof rack onto a removable hardtop. I could be wrong, but that notion is already bothering me. Oh well, I'm still having fun and I hope to have the body mounted up today and maybe get the wheels assembled.

I have to give some thanks to the guys at Hobby Town in Buford, GA. I've only been dealing with them for a few weeks since I first bought my Honcho there Everyone there is helpful and they have pointed me in the right direction even when it has meant not buying something I thought I needed. They are bulking up on their crawler gear too and the amount they have now as compared to a few weeks ago is quite noticeable. I hope to get out on the trail with them soon.

So far as of last night I was able to get the aluminum links and the new shocks installed.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 03-25-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I don't have much time or terrain on my tires yet.Only a couple runs around the yard and through the landscaping.Also had a few runs in the snow with them.Yea I don't like the looks of the Duratrax rims either.I have mine mounted on axial black 8 shooter wheels with GearHead delrin rings.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Your chassis setup looks good so far.The aluminum links and shocks are a nice upgrade.
Here's a pic of my wheel/tire setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looking good.

Duratrax makes some pretty decent tires for stuff, although they are often overlooked.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Your chassis setup looks good so far.The aluminum links and shocks are a nice upgrade.
Here's a pic of my wheel/tire setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
They look killer on your wheels. I like that quite a lot.

Mine are glued to the wheels since I bought the combo. I wonder if I can salvage them..?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Looking good.

Duratrax makes some pretty decent tires for stuff, although they are often overlooked.
I agree. They have some other good looking treads too.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So this is my first set of scale bead locks, just propped up for the photo. They look great but is the ring supposed to sit flush with the wheel? I think it should but it seems like it wants to squeeze the tire out as shown at about the 2:00 position on the wheel in the pic here. Any suggestions? I may have to check the wheel and tire thread.

Somehow I ended up with the wrong lug nuts, or the wrong hubs. Either way, the acorn lugs I got are too small. I ordered from Locked Up RC and as far as I know I ordered everything according to what is suggested when you click on the wheel to buy it. Gotta sort that out. Not complaining about LURC, it could very well be my fault. I really look forward to getting these up and running.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
So this is my first set of scale bead locks, just propped up for the photo. They look great but is the ring supposed to sit flush with the wheel? I think it should but it seems like it wants to squeeze the tire out as shown at about the 2:00 position on the wheel in the pic here. Any suggestions? I may have to check the wheel and tire thread.

Somehow I ended up with the wrong lug nuts, or the wrong hubs. Either way, the acorn lugs I got are too small. I ordered from Locked Up RC and as far as I know I ordered everything according to what is suggested when you click on the wheel to buy it. Gotta sort that out. Not complaining about LURC, it could very well be my fault. I really look forward to getting these up and running.

Nice wheels! Yes, the rings should sit flush against the wheels when you have them tightened down. if the tire is popping out the bead may not have been in the groove in the wheel.

LURC is a good company and they will stand good for any issues if they are at fault.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice wheels! Yes, the rings should sit flush against the wheels when you have them tightened down. if the tire is popping out the bead may not have been in the groove in the wheel.

LURC is a good company and they will stand good for any issues if they are at fault.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to try and re-seat them. I actually left the Jeep and all of it's new parts at home this week and brought the Honcho out on the road again this week so I'll pick up where I left off this weekend. Hopefully I have the lug nut issue sorted soon. I submitted a ticket at LURC when I got to the hotel today.

It took everything I had to leave it home. I got the body mounted how I wanted and even drove it for the first time albeit on pavement last night. I want to try to have it finished (round 1) before I bring it out and start trashing it... which I can't wait to do.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

...and then there was light.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I got my lug nuts sorted out and installed the wheels and scale hubs along with the Pit Bull Rock Beasts. I'm pretty impressed with this stuff. All of it looks pretty sweet to me. I played around in the yard a bit today and it's not a bad rig. Still plenty of work to do. I've got to get on some wheel wells for sure. This was earlier today before I installed the light kit.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

No more work on the Jeep so far. I've been super busy with work but I did get it out and drive it through the hotel landscaping. The hotel next to mine had better rocks and minimal flowers so I drove it over there. I'm still trying to figure this one out. I think I'm spoiled on the SCX10ii Honcho, but this one just doesn't seem as nimble. I'm sure that's why they upgraded stuff. As an owner of both SCX10 & SCX10ii, I think I can tell a difference and it seems like a lot to me. So far this one feels really top heavy, and that makes me wonder if I really need an interior or just tinted windows. I love all of the scale stuff I see here and I really need inner wheel wells on this one and the Honcho, but I'm torn. Maybe once I collect a few more trucks I'll feel less like each one has to perform perfectly. Good excuse to get more of them I suppose. I'm sure I will eventually find a balance. I'm not looking to compete so I'm sure it won't be a problem. There are some killer looking trucks on this site so it's hard not to want it look like some of those. All good though. I'm loving it still and learning a lot.

Edit: There is also a good chance that I just don't the shocks set up right. Still learning about that too.

Anyways, here is the mandatory glamour shot... Orlando, FL

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 04-03-2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Talky stuffz
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Found my way back to Medard Park. This is such a great spot for little trucks. I shot a lot of video too. Some of it looks pretty good but this thing REALLY need inner wheel wells. There is a lot of open space up front and you can see the battery in the back. Either way, I was in a spot with no guarantee when I'll be back so I had to at least try.

Glamour Shot -
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

After all of my complaining about my rigs needing inner wheel wells, I finally had some time on the work bench to do something about it. After quite a bit of testing with scrap plastic from packaging that my RC parts have been coming in, I settled on a design. I originally thought I'd have to do the arched part, but really all I needed was something to block the empty space up front and the spot to the rear of the front fenders that showed a big empty spot. I didn't take a before pic but I should have since I ended up doing a lot more. I hoped to install my new Holmes Hobbies 21T and Hobby Wing ESC sometime this weekend but somehow I also ended up moving the battery up front and the receiver and ESC to the rear. I also failed to take a shot of it all with the body on so I'll have to do that tomorrow. It all turned out really good in my opinion and I feel like I took a pretty big step in my rookie modding quest.

Before the motor and ESC swap...

After the swap and now with the rear wheel well bits...

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 04-07-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Turns out that moving the battery forward and lower really helps. The rig is pretty capable now. I dig it. I had to narrow the Cherokee roof rack about 3/8/" and that was fun. I really thought this one was top-heavy. It is a little, but not as bad as I thought.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Extended Glamour Shot...

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 04-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Tralfaz Tries an SCX10 Deadbolt to Jeep Wrangler Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Build... Dwill Axial SCX-10 100 04-07-2016 12:47 PM
WYD's STRC SCX10 Jeep Wrangler build wyd Axial SCX-10 57 01-28-2016 09:48 AM
Fu's SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 build MikeFu Axial SCX-10 5 11-18-2015 04:14 PM
***Chicklet's Jeep Wrangler SCX10 G6 Build*** chicklet Axial SCX-10 67 03-12-2015 06:03 PM
ScaleFreak - Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Build Joe Ferguson Axial SCX-10 27 06-07-2014 04:42 PM